Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2021 Edition) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2021 Edition)

Just make sure to check the wire gauge. I have a factory fitted SAE harness on my V-Strom and it is 18 AWG; warm and safe recommends 16 at minimum. So I will replace the harness with the one they provide.
18 AWG will only support 5A to a max of 5'. My guess is Moto manufacturers expect things like phone chargers, GPS to be used -- not compressors and heated gear.

The cable length is also a factor, it's measured from the battery to the load and back.

12VDC @ 3% loss. Distance Battery to Load
AMPS5'7.5'10'
5A18 AWG16 AWG14 AWG
7.5A16 AWG14 AWG12 AWG
10A14 AWG12 AWG10 AWG

Heated grips, socks, gloves: 3A
Heated Vest 7.5A
Compressor: 10A

I'm still riding. My commute is short, so I plan to be doing that every day unless there's snow or ice on the roads... Which hopefully won't be the case...

Last year I think I had the bike away for just over two months. Hoping to get away with one this year. Can't stand the TTC anymore... I'd rather freeze half to death on my 15min commute than walk to the stop and wait for a late streetcar...

A safe bet is to just use the pigtail included with your heated gear - it will be the correct gauge and also include the correct fuse so you don't keep blowing it at the most inopportune time (when you need the most heat).

I'm still riding. My commute is short, so I plan to be doing that every day unless there's snow or ice on the roads... Which hopefully won't be the case...

Last year I think I had the bike away for just over two months. Hoping to get away with one this year. Can't stand the TTC anymore... I'd rather freeze half to death on my 15min commute than walk to the stop and wait for a late streetcar...
Not mention all the cooties on streetcars!

We booked a campsite with friends at Silent Lake provincial park for the last weekend in November, so here's hoping this weather trend continues. ;)

No crazy riding these days but definitely running all my errands

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride four of the last five days. Every day was a gift to close out the season and some of the most enjoyable riding to the north and east of me with traffic volume much reduced. 15,000 km this season.

Back
Top Bottom