Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2021 Edition) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2021 Edition)

I rode in to work today for the first time in awhile. temperature was great but just as I got onto County rd 2 I saw some fire trucks on the side of the road.

As I drove by I saw a DRZ parked at the shoulder between the trucks. I see this rider almost daily. We commute the same route at the same time and often follow each other to town. Today I was running 5 mins late. Hopefully he's okay. the bike didn't look too bad but saw an ambulance heading in the same direction shortly later. There have been allot of deer out lately.

They definitely are, I saw a deer at the edge of the road last night near Courtneypark Dr. and Dixie. It probably wandered out of the nature area around the airport, and was big enough to ruin a biker's day.

My Venture gloves have the control for heat on them,maybe for non Venture gloves you would need a control.

I confirmed with Venture that they do output full voltage to the sleeves, and that the Venture glove liners with no temp control are set to only run at "medium".

Just purchased my bike need to do safety now, never rode in the rain before. The ride is only 2km away from my house. Need to decide to ride it to the safety shop this Tuesday or wait till next year. I got my ownership with TMP and it says I have 10 days to complete the safety. I wonder what happens if I don't complete within 10 days and if I do it next year? I will have to do another TMP and ride to the shop? Will there be any fine or my ownership will expire?

Just purchased my bike need to do safety now, never rode in the rain before. The ride is only 2km away from my house. Need to decide to ride it to the safety shop this Tuesday or wait till next year. I got my ownership with TMP and it says I have 10 days to complete the safety. I wonder what happens if I don't complete within 10 days and if I do it next year? I will have to do another TMP and ride to the shop? Will there be any fine or my ownership will expire?
they can extend the temporary sticker/issue another. i believe you can get 2 or 3.

2 km is only one major city block. No big deal if the ground is just wet, but if it's pouring like crazy then visibility might be a problem. I say go for it and take it easy. You've literally got to get your feet wet sometime.

Alternatively, maybe someone on here can help you trailer it if they're nearby, but you could ride the 2 km's and back before it's even strapped in.

To answer some of your questions, while you legally only have 6 days to transfer ownership from the date of sale, I've never had a problem doing it many days or even months later. And if any particular Service Ontario give you a problem, just go to another one.

Also, the transfer of ownership is completely independent of the safety certificate, which is the requirement to register the vehicle as "fit", which then allows you to plate it. So if you wanted to do everything by the book but aren't comfortable riding it until next year, then go to Service Ontario and transfer the ownership as "unfit", which puts the bike in your name (which never expires), but you can't plate it until you get the safety which you could do next year. Just means 2 trips to SO and some way to get the bike to the shop. For 2 km, I'd even consider pushing it if you can't get it there any other way.

Last edited:
Rain is not a big deal, especially for 2 kms. Apply a rain repellent to your visor if you got one. If not - it's OK.

My Suzuki has the Koso heated grips but I wasn't sure Koso had something for my Triumph cruiser but when I checked on their website I saw these clip-on types and gave them a try. They say they only fit up to 35mm grips but mine are 37 and they slipped on fine from the end.

I tried them a couple of weeks back when I did 3 days over the Highlands. They're not nearly as good as full heated grips but for $113 at Royal Distributing online, worth it IMO.

Koso-heated-clipon2.jpg

Thanks all for your responses. I will likely ride it if its not pouring like crazy.
Anything to look at in particular to make sure safety will pass?
Thanks

To answer some of your questions, while you legally only have 6 days to transfer ownership from the date of sale, I've never had a problem doing it many days or even months later. And if any particular Service Ontario give you a problem, just go to another one.

Also, the transfer of ownership is completely independent of the safety certificate, which is the requirement to register the vehicle as "fit", which then allows you to plate it. So if you wanted to do everything by the book but aren't comfortable riding it until next year, then go to Service Ontario and transfer the ownership as "unfit", which puts the bike in your name (which never expires), but you can't plate it until you get the safety which you could do next year. Just means 2 trips to SO and some way to get the bike to the shop. For 2 km, I'd even consider pushing it if you can't get it there any other way.
The bike is already in my name and plated, as I got a temporary sticker. The ownership though says TMP instead of FIT and I assume it prescribes to do safety within 10 days. So I wonder if I don't do my safety within 10 days, and do it next year what happens beyond the license expiration. Should I pay any fine or just tow bike to the safety next summer and exchange TMP ownership for the new ownership with FIT with the same plates?

The bike is already in my name and plated, as I got a temporary sticker. The ownership though says TMP instead of FIT and I assume it prescribes to do safety within 10 days. So I wonder if I don't do my safety within 10 days, and do it next year what happens beyond the license expiration. Should I pay any fine or just tow bike to the safety next summer and exchange TMP ownership for the new ownership with FIT with the same plates?
as i recall you can get the stickers re-issued once or twice more. if you sit on it for almost 6 months....i'm not sure what they will say to be honest.

You`re paying for the insurance already and you should have some time until we see snow, take your time and get it over with now imo.

well the temp dropped rather quickly! probably gonna put the bikes away soon. i used to ride throughout the winter when i could but i'm not that adventurous or that interested anymore.

@OP, you could wait until next season but IMO you’ll have a far easier time just dealing with it now. You said it’s only a couple km so bundle up and “git’er done”

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

well the temp dropped rather quickly! probably gonna put the bikes away soon. i used to ride throughout the winter when i could but i'm not that adventurous or that interested anymore.
It did, but it might be the beginning of "first winter" we'll come back to fall soon enough with this ping pong transition weather.

Damned chilly on the bike these days. Heated grips are definitely in my future. But I'm enjoying every short ride I can still squeeze in.

exK268L.jpg

Just got back from a nice 2hr spin. It sure was brisk and it’s the first time out in 5c weather since last year. The heated grips on the FZ09 are a welcome addition for sure. Thinking about some bark buster type guards for the wind as well.

Heated jacket liner would be nice too

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Delete

Last edited:
Thanks to Shane’s advice, I saw them on sale as well and now have some shipping to me. I expect I’ll see them by end of week.

Their size chart said I was a large. I am usually in a medium at best and like them tighter to start and wear in. I ordered medium. Will let you know if I guessed right.
Came in today. Medium was definitely the right choice, despite their sizing chart. Quality is very good and you can tell QC is there.

Also got the batter tender adapter for ease of plugging in. Went with the simple 5 level heattroller (replacement) without remote, saved a few bucks and I can click it from in my jacket pocket.

Next cold (but dry) day will be the test. Excited!

Back
Top Bottom