Want GTAM's opinion on this. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want GTAM's opinion on this.

Should have just called in sick, would have stopped the drama right there and then.

P.s, did i miss this monster snow storm we had? Buffalo and the rest of Canada must laugh at us.

I got a foot on average with drifts piling it up tp 2' in places.. Snowblowers rock!

None of my employees came in yesterday. They already know better. I don't want anyone at the office that doesn't HAVE to be there. That goes for any day, not just bad weather.

I did not read all the replies.
Have her craft an email outlining she had serious safety concerns and looking at the news reports she felt the best course of action would be to stay off the roads.

question to you- Did the Police say on tv for ppl to stay off the roads or was it printed online (she can use that to show she was heeding the warning of the Police) and go on to say it's seems unfair and unjust to penalize her without letting her make up the hours.

I bet if she had called in sick or sent an email = non issue
funny how honesty doesn't work in your favor

Also - it seems like they are in the works for firing her..just saying

What the frig? If you can't make it in to work for whatever reason, call in sick. If they say you don't have to show up, bonus. But there's no expectation that they should say that.

Or did I miss part of the problem? That happens sometimes.

Saw it on CP24.

They could fire her, two other employees were fired within the last 6 months so it could be possible, and thats fine. Currently she is the only one who can do the job she does at the company, it would hurt them more than it would hurt her. If she gets fired, so be it, no big deal.

Lifes to short to stress over stupid things like that.

I did not read all the replies.
Have her craft an email outlining she had serious safety concerns and looking at the news reports she felt the best course of action would be to stay off the roads.

question to you- Did the Police say on tv for ppl to stay off the roads or was it printed online (she can use that to show she was heeding the warning of the Police) and go on to say it's seems unfair and unjust to penalize her without letting her make up the hours.

I bet if she had called in sick or sent an email = non issue
funny how honesty doesn't work in your favor

Also - it seems like they are in the works for firing her..just saying

Saw it on CP24.

They could fire her, two other employees were fired within the last 6 months so it could be possible, and thats fine. Currently she is the only one who can do the job she does at the company, it would hurt them more than it would hurt her. If she gets fired, so be it, no big deal.

Lifes to short to stress over stupid things like that.

ok, then craft an email with her safety concerns backed up with the piece on tv (include the rough time and date of the piece and who said what)
this email will give her some ammo for a hostile/wrongful/constructive dismissal

she is telling them the police said stay off the roads and she did not feel safe to drive in such conditions yet she feels that she is being forced to in the future due to the penalty...etc

It boggles my mind how ppl will risk their safety for NOTHING that important.
organ transplant or surgery to save a life THAT day then OKAY
what else is so damn pressing

And they wonder why employees have no loyalty etc...
duh, treat them like crap and that's what you end up with... a crap company soon to go bankrupt

look at the other side of the coin
if they sent an email or had an environment where ppl felt valued/safe etc... she and the others would likely work harder to protect that.
just sayin'

I feel for you. By the government of Ontario employment law all employees are entitled to 10 unpaid family emergency days (though car trouble is not a valid emergency) per year unless a collective agreement for an alternative is in place (ie x paid sick days). Last time I called saying the roads were too **** to come in I got an attendance infraction (x many and you're fired). How ever when I was actually stuck in a ditch no infraction was given. You do the math on that one.

A. empolyees should all stand around a bucket full of water with one hand in. Then tell one to pull out thier hand and show the others the big hole in the water where they pulled out the hand. Leaving will leave the same size hole. Apple replaced Steve Jobs.

B. never put anything in an email about dissatisfaction . Ever. Because now its got to be dealt with, the manager sends it to their boss asking for guidance possibly and your girl is on the short list. If it has to be discussed do it in person, you may get a brushoff but the papertrail is a wrong idea.

A. empolyees should all stand around a bucket full of water with one hand in. Then tell one to pull out thier hand and show the others the big hole in the water where they pulled out the hand. Leaving will leave the same size hole. Apple replaced Steve Jobs.

B. never put anything in an email about dissatisfaction . Ever. Because now its got to be dealt with, the manager sends it to their boss asking for guidance possibly and your girl is on the short list. If it has to be discussed do it in person, you may get a brushoff but the papertrail is a wrong idea.

I disagree with b.
notice I used the word CRAFT an email

Dear xxx,
I am a little confused and would like some clarification on company policy pertaining to x matters.
For example I was deeply concerned about my safety on the roads considering the Police on tv where intensely warning/telling the public to stay off the roads because it's not safe and only if you are an emergency vehicle etc...

Please rest assured my car is in perfect working order to date however other drivers are of greater concern. Overall I just did not feel safe on the unplowed icy roads. I did however log onto my computer from home to complete as much work as possible. I did phone x person to retrieve further information to do my job. I do take my job seriously and my contributions to the team blah blah blah
My intentions were to make up the time over the span of this week.

As you may be aware I am also the caregiver to my elderly parents or I am the mother of x young children and to be honest if I were to sustain an injury on the unsafe roads, not only would the office be effected but so would those that depend on me.

For future reference and perhaps a suggestion to send out the policy or a guideline on how to handle these situations and what is expected in an effort for increased and open communications.
Now go F yourselves...

**insert the personal parts as needed

There you go, now let them fire her...she has demonstrated in writing that they fired her because of safety concerns...get some other co workers to fire in similar emails. How will the company look now? Get some lawyers wand whamo....fast forward, let's say next snow day she gets injured or just into a fender bender...other coworkers the same happen...they should be able to sue the company for damages because...workers felt FORCED to risk life and limb to come in.

You can't have the OPP on tv TELLING ppl stay off the roads then on the other hand some dinky shop telling them ignore the Police and your safety and get in here.

I am no lawyer...but I am sure there is something proactive you can do to protect yourself. I wonder if someone can make a legal argument by extension they are creating an unsafe and hostile working environment...just saying (what if you are using a company car...ha...is the car itself considered part of the workplace??)
She would have stated she takes job seriously etc...

If it has not been written then it has not been said.

when they want you gone, because your a troublesome person to deal with in their opinion, they offer two weeks, you argue one month for every year of service. So you've been there 3 yrs. , 3 month serverence? big deal, you wont collect punitive damages in this. They will lawyer you into a corner and drag it and let you bleed money. Or settle right away because 95% of real business carry insurance for this. Your not talking about a CEO or even a mid level manager, its one of the workers so she probably wasn't lured away from a competitor and probably doesn't have a contract that guarantees X amounts.
I love the constructive dismissal stories , when it gets to that point they don't like you and you don't like them. Pull your panties up and shuffle off to a new job.

when they want you gone, because your a troublesome person to deal with in their opinion, they offer two weeks, you argue one month for every year of service. So you've been there 3 yrs. , 3 month serverence? big deal, you wont collect punitive damages in this. They will lawyer you into a corner and drag it and let you bleed money. Or settle right away because 95% of real business carry insurance for this. Your not talking about a CEO or even a mid level manager, its one of the workers so she probably wasn't lured away from a competitor and probably doesn't have a contract that guarantees X amounts.
I love the constructive dismissal stories , when it gets to that point they don't like you and you don't like them. Pull your panties up and shuffle off to a new job.

I agree with you for the most part however it's like having sex with a stranger, better to have protection...lol

tl;dr

Time for a new job.

OP, any reasonable manager would agree to her working from home on a day like that. The better companies out there, on day like Monday, send an e-mail early, making it clear for anyone suitable working from home to stay home. Safety first, money second ... but not every organization is like that.

Managers who know their staff, know damn well who would just "stay" home and who would actually "work" home ....

My employees made the call for themselves on monday, funny thing is all the employees who commute from 1/2 an hour or more away made it in only one local employee did.

sent from a device using a program

My employees made the call for themselves on monday, funny thing is all the employees who commute from 1/2 an hour or more away made it in only one local employee did.

as someone stated further away the roads and weather might have been clear (out there)

Not in my case weather was pretty constant in the whole area

At the same time it is totally up to the individual if they feel safe coming in

Back
Top Bottom