Want GTAM's opinion on this. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want GTAM's opinion on this.

Red_Liner740

So yesterdays bad weather...For some reason Tottenham especially got hammered real bad. I drove from Toronto to Tottenham Sunday night and it was dicey, cars in ditches, left right and center, unplowed roads etc. She drives a Manual RWD Genesis with winter tires that i borrowed on sunday, and even so it was not a fun drive even for me. She just learned to drive manual last year.

Yesterday morning we woke up to 1.5ft of unplowed snow on our street and our cars burried in 3ft of snow in some areas due to drifts. The street was unplowed til 11am. Last time a snow storm of this magnitude happened, i drove her into work only to have to pick her up 2hrs later as they were released early.

My Jeep was down due to a seized caliper and i told my fiancee that if she doesnt feel comfortable driving to work in this weather that she could stay home. She does office work, that ALL of it can be done from home with her laptop.

Apparently her calling in to work was a real "issue" and she is now asked to take a Holiday day off for not coming into work. Today she found out that Alliston, 20km north, got half the snow we did.

Honestly, if my Jeep was running i'd have driven her but this is total BS IMO.

What say you? Unjustly slighted or a pompous baby?

Those who don't feel comfortable driving in the snow shouldn't be.

I'd like more info on this...

1) Was she allowed to work from home on occasion?
2) Was that raised with the mgmt?

I'd say that the mgmt is being unreasonable if she was able to perform her duties from home. If not, then I'd have taken an unpaid day off, but as a "contractor" that's what I have to do when I'm unable to work, whether it's because of something on my end or on my employ... I mean "client's" end.

On occasion. She even bounced the idea of going permanently to one or two days from home. Really, she has no reason to go into work, none. Other than the management wanting to keep their thumb over everyone i see no reason for it.

Up until now the management never said a peep about snow days and vacation days.

What really irks her is that the rest of the girls/women in her office constantly miss days or leave early/come in late because "little Johnny had the sniffles" or some other infant/child need. We have no kids and she's never taken days off. In two years working there, i think she called in sick once due to real bad heartburn we went to the doctor for.

This all started when her current manager got promoted to this position and shes been trying to make a name for herself in other peoples sweat and tears. You know the type. Works you hard, puts you away wet, claims all the glory, puts in 60 hours a week and expects the same from you (no OT).

I'd like more info on this...

1) Was she allowed to work from home on occasion?
2) Was that raised with the mgmt?

I'd say that the mgmt is being unreasonable if she was able to perform her duties from home. If not, then I'd have taken an unpaid day off, but as a "contractor" that's what I have to do when I'm unable to work, whether it's because of something on my end or on my employ... I mean "client's" end.

tough call. where you live and where you work may have different weather systems, you *may* look kind of silly calling in for weather and your employer looks out their window and sees none.

I am not sure anyone is allotted snow days. I assume teachers maybe still get paid? In your finance's (yes this is intended :p) work, do they have a policy? I guess if she takes a snow day, take the day off. Working from home isn't always valued.

Funny story.... Last year on a snowy day, I trudged my way in to work. It was a little slow but manageable. Coworker who lived two blocks from me called in because the roads were impassable. She drives a Jeep, while I had an HHR with snow tires. She kind of had egg on her face.

Last edited:
Most of it depends on the previous understanding between employee and manager. If there are no written policies, it is harder, because then it is a game of she-said-he-said verbal agreement.

First of all, there are two things she cannot argue about: first, the general principles of you-have-to-work-to-get-paid (no work = no pay), and then, that the issue was very urgent (even if it was a BS issue, she cannot argue with the boss about that).

So what she can argue to make her case is that she was able to work remotely exactly the same as if she was in the office, and she was able to contribute to the solution of the issue / problem / concern.

State the facts.
She worked
There was snow
She has taken 1 sick day in x-amount of years

If not, try sucking their ____, that'll work.

I'm just gonna make her chaulk this one up to a life lesson. Shes primarily miffed because shes taken work home on many nights to show drive/initiative and this is her "reward" for hard work.

As far as i'm concerned, if i was her and in the situation we're in, i'd pull the thrust levers to ground idle and coast my way through the rest of my employment there. She doesnt have to work, we're in a financial situation where she can give them the finger and we wouldnt be any worse off for it.

I'm just gonna make her chaulk this one up to a life lesson. Shes primarily miffed because shes taken work home on many nights to show drive/initiative and this is her "reward" for hard work.

As far as i'm concerned, if i was her and in the situation we're in, i'd pull the thrust levers to ground idle and coast my way through the rest of my employment there. She doesnt have to work, we're in a financial situation where she can give them the finger and we wouldnt be any worse off for it.

If she is paid hourly then tell her to work hourly, she wants to get paid for every hour she works, if they don't agree to it, at 5o clock, pack her bags and go and leave everything on the desk.

she's in a suck it up buttercup position. Don't like being the worker bee? be the boss.

What kind of office job is this?

Shes a training co-ordinator. She creates the training material, power point presentations, etc needed for trainers to teach maintenance classes all over the world. Hence the lack of need to work in an office. Most of the time, shes co-ordinating with trainers in Asia, Africa, South America etc.

she's in a suck it up buttercup position. Don't like being the worker bee? be the boss.

Agreed to an extent. There's usually a social agreement between workers and bosses of give and take. If i go above and beyond at times, there's usually an understanding that some slack needs to be given on the off days. If you trust my judgement enough to put me in charge of the training material, id hope that you'd also trust my judgment on my ability to make it to work safely.
That can be nullified ofcourse on either side. I believe that her manager just burned that bridge.

I've been in those situations before and i know how she feels. Ultimately i left for greener pastures and left them holding the proverbial brown bag. She will do the same in due time.

Most likely the parents have to also take holidays for the sick kids, so wouldn't that be fair to ask her also to take one?

They can't plan the sick kids just like you can't plan the weather. We have people from a hour away playing the "it wasn't safe" card. It's valid, but if she didn't have prior approval to work from home then it was just a holiday for her.

Actually they dont. Hence the double standard BS.

Most likely the parents have to also take holidays for the sick kids, so wouldn't that be fair to ask her also to take one?

They can't plan the sick kids just like you can't plan the weather. We have people from a hour away playing the "it wasn't safe" card. It's valid, but if she didn't have prior approval to work from home then it was just a holiday for her.

I agree with her work on this topic. She can't make it into work. Okay that's fine. Two choices, you take a sick day if any are left or a vacation day. If none are left from what you have been given or agree'd to with the company, then you don't get paid for the day.

Weather isn't a good excuse to use at all. This isn't the stone again any more where we need to do a rain dance or use the sound of the trees to find out what the weather will be for the next day. We all have access to information on what the weather will be for the day.

You stated that the plow came by at 11am and cleared your neighborhood. Why didn't she go to work late and talk to the manager about not taking the day?

Sorry but I don't agree with the company being out of line at all.

Its fixed. Went out saturday night and found the brake dragging on the way home. Disassembled the brakes on sunday in -15c weather to discover a seized caliper. Maybe your google fu skills are better than mine, but i could not find anyone local who had the caliper in stock without having to wait till monday. I ordered the part and it arrived monday 11am, at which point i reassembled with new brake pads and caliper. In fact she drove it to work today. Just crappy timing i guess.

Fix your damn Jeep.....

What sick days? I'm glad you live in a world where unexpected things dont happen. I'm sure you're not being a hypocrite now and cant look back through your life where an unexpected thing didnt happen and you couldnt meet your obligations.

Meanwhile, OPP responded to 363 accidents that morning. TDSB and half a dozen other school boards cancelled school for the day, GTA was placed under Winter storm warning and officials said that all "non essential travel" should be suspended. No, another sunny day she decided to take off due to inclement weather.

She did make the offer that if someone is willing to come pick her up shes more than willing to go to work. No response to that.

Like i said, life lesson. How many times have people gone above and beyond and worked EXTRA unpaid hours to accomplish a task? I know she has, as she has that "good worker bee" corporate mentality still drilled in her. Some might argue that all the hours put in extra could be used on a "snow day". A good manager is able to juggle the pluses and minuses of an employee and come to a judgement call. I guess some people do believe in the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

So they lost out the productivity of someone sitting at a desk working, vs sitting at home working. In my mind, no productivity was lost at all. What they have gained is a worker disenfranchised with the idea of working hard for the good of the company and instead working hard enough for the good of the worker. I wonder what that lowered productivity will cost in the end?

I agree with her work on this topic. She can't make it into work. Okay that's fine. Two choices, you take a sick day if any are left or a vacation day. If none are left from what you have been given or agree'd to with the company, then you don't get paid for the day.

Weather isn't a good excuse to use at all. This isn't the stone again any more where we need to do a rain dance or use the sound of the trees to find out what the weather will be for the next day. We all have access to information on what the weather will be for the day.

You stated that the plow came by at 11am and cleared your neighborhood. Why didn't she go to work late and talk to the manager about not taking the day?

Sorry but I don't agree with the company being out of line at all.

I don't know office culture. But any time I've had employment issues where I feel the employer is seeing me in a bad light I get proactive and schedule a meeting. Showing a little backbone sends a message.

Only 1 of 24 showed up yesterday. I couldn't get out of my driveway 'til 10am. No problems.

Last edited:
It sounds like you've made up your mind, why ask for an opinion?

And if the parents aren't getting dinged maybe she should say something to payroll/hr or whomever deals with an issue like that. It's ******** I agree

Back
Top Bottom