Want GTAM's opinion on this. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want GTAM's opinion on this.

One of the main questions is, has she recently in the last few months worked from home and was this acceptable by mgnt?
Did she in fact work from home "yesterday" or just stay home from work and spent time shovelling snow etc.
Let's say 6-7 hrs of productive time qualifies +/-
If no, then I think the answer is she should take the day as a holiday.
If Yes, then she should not be forced to burn a day as she worked remotely.

What sick days? I'm glad you live in a world where unexpected things dont happen. I'm sure you're not being a hypocrite now and cant look back through your life where an unexpected thing didnt happen and you couldnt meet your obligations.

Meanwhile, OPP responded to 363 accidents that morning. TDSB and half a dozen other school boards cancelled school for the day, GTA was placed under Winter storm warning and officials said that all "non essential travel" should be suspended. No, another sunny day she decided to take off due to inclement weather.

She did make the offer that if someone is willing to come pick her up shes more than willing to go to work. No response to that.

Like i said, life lesson. How many times have people gone above and beyond and worked EXTRA unpaid hours to accomplish a task? I know she has, as she has that "good worker bee" corporate mentality still drilled in her. Some might argue that all the hours put in extra could be used on a "snow day". A good manager is able to juggle the pluses and minuses of an employee and come to a judgement call. I guess some people do believe in the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

So they lost out the productivity of someone sitting at a desk working, vs sitting at home working. In my mind, no productivity was lost at all. What they have gained is a worker disenfranchised with the idea of working hard for the good of the company and instead working hard enough for the good of the worker. I wonder what that lowered productivity will cost in the end?

So your GF isn't in management, yet knows that other people are not taking sick days or booking days of do take care(help with in school activities) their children. This doesn't sound right. And this might come as a shocker, but I've had to take random days. This is why they are called sick days. Most likely her company will say that we will provide you with X amount of sick days a year. Anything above this amount will be unpaid.

Yes, the weather was horrible. I was driving in it all day yesterday. My new Jeep was in the shop getting decals put onto the sides so I had to use a truck a truck from work to get around.

I understand that you are frustrated. It is clearly shown here in this thread. But again, you knew the weather was going to be really bad the day/night before. She could of spoken to her manager the day before and pre-planned. If she would of spoken to her manager, they most likely would of agreed that if the weather was bad to stay home. And she could of stayed home to get some work done.

THIS WAS A FORESEEN ISSUE, so please so bringing up the excuse of children. Those are unforeseen situations. The weather is something that we are advised on daily.

Again, bad excuse on the employee.

Last edited:
I have made up my mind, id still like to see other points of view. If there was enough backlash and or very good valid points then maybe i'd re-evaluate my position. We are human and we do change our minds.

I think one issue is that the company grew very quickly in a short amount of time. They dont have any sort of policies written down. It went from a guy and his assistant working out of his basement to 50 employees in 3 years give or take a few months.

Again, there are no sicks days, so when her co-workers take days off throughout the year and STILL take their two weeks of vacation, 2+2 equals 4. No-one has more than two weeks of vacation in her dept. It doesnt take inside information nor magical ability to see that there is preferential dealing when it comes to children, most likely because the manager, who lives withing walking distance of the work also has younger children and can relate.

Maybe next time our cats have a boo-boo she'll take a day off to take care of her "dependents". LOL.

It sounds like you've made up your mind, why ask for an opinion?

And if the parents aren't getting dinged maybe she should say something to payroll/hr or whomever deals with an issue like that. It's ******** I agree

Its fixed. Went out saturday night and found the brake dragging on the way home. Disassembled the brakes on sunday in -15c weather to discover a seized caliper. Maybe your google fu skills are better than mine, but i could not find anyone local who had the caliper in stock without having to wait till monday. I ordered the part and it arrived monday 11am, at which point i reassembled with new brake pads and caliper. In fact she drove it to work today. Just crappy timing i guess.

Just busting your balls there:p

Drove the TJ in today just because its more fun without the electronic nanny's saving the JK for the nice days.

I got a WK diesel. And i hate that even with turning TC off it still comes on and corrects you if you're too far out of line. Maybe i WANT to be sideways spinning all 4 tires dammit!

Just busting your balls there:p

Drove the TJ in today just because its more fun without the electronic nanny's saving the JK for the nice days.

I emailed all my employees and told them to work from home or come in later. Most still came in, the boss should offer it before people wake up and realize they will be late or stuck and emoloyees should appreciate the offer but try to come in later If they can. It shows concern ,caring and diligence on the bosses part and on the employees part.

Agreed. Last time i was home i drove her with the Jeep, took us 30 min to dig out and extra 30min of driving to get there. The Boss decided to let them all out early and i went and picked her up. In fact when i was there i used the Jeep to tow two cars out of the parking lot due to them not being able to get out as it was up an incline and not plowed.

Again, i think the boss is not even aware of this issue as he genuinely seems like a nice guy. The manager seems to want to bust balls to prove shes doing a good job managing.

I emailed all my employees and told them to work from home or come in later. Most still came in, the boss should offer it before people wake up and realize they will be late or stuck and emoloyees should appreciate the offer but try to come in later If they can. It shows concern ,caring and diligence on the bosses part and on the employees part.

I like the cut of your jib.

This is a very reasonable approach to a vexing Canadian problem. Snowfall.

I feel bad for her, and EVERY office is different. But if she is treated different from anybody else in the office, she already knows where she stands.

Try screaming along at 20+ knots, it's scarier than anything I have ever been in/on with a motor. It's like the throttle is stuck open and there is no way to stop it.

I was doing over 160kmh on a sled today and that wasn't scary,....so no......nooooooo

Most employers I worked for, showed a bit of give and take. There was one employer that showed a lot of the second thing but never the first thing. Combine that with a twat-supervisor and the owner pissing on my back and saying it's raining "oh it must be a language barrier... cultural differences" (no, she's a twat!!!), I left that place sooner than I should have but was fortunate to score a temp gig to tide me over until I got into my best job so far. It's simple.. An employee doesn't have a real recourse, but places that treat employees like ***** should expect for the morale and work performance to suffer.

Sonny, I may not particularly like you but let me know if you open up operations in South America. I'll send you my resume :cool:

I was doing over 160kmh on a sled today and that wasn't scary,....so no......nooooooo

Not at all the same. The closest I had was on a sled, a buddy and I went head on on each side of a tree line, 370 km/h closing speed is no joke. Plain old 160 is just cruising on modern sleds, vintage sleds were scarier at half that speed (did you ever ride one of those old beasts with front leaf suspension?). Not being able to shut off the power is the scary part not the speed.

Should have just called in sick, would have stopped the drama right there and then.

P.s, did i miss this monster snow storm we had? Buffalo and the rest of Canada must laugh at us.

Back
Top Bottom