Stocks | Page 42 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

^ too bad your bre-x was in a fund
would be neat to have some bre-x stock certificates

this (5,000 shares) was apparently worth $1.4M at the peak
would make a neat conversation piece framed

View attachment 46145
That depends, if you paid 1.4M for that piece of paper you may want to kill it with fire. If you got in early, maybe it would be an interesting conversation. It can go on he wall next to useless crypto wallets once that house of cards collapses.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, most "investors" couldn't tell you what a P/E ratio is, much less tell you what those numbers are for each stock that they own.

The only ratio they know is what the stock price is divided by what it cost them: "I'm up 10% for the quarter!"

My Air Canada stock is up 59%!!! Bought at $17 and today was at 27$ ... That's all I know. Figured AC would be a good buy at 12, missed the boat and bought at 17.

Don't feel bad, most "investors" couldn't tell you what a P/E ratio is, much less tell you what those numbers are for each stock that they own.

The only ratio they know is what the stock price is divided by what it cost them: "I'm up 10% for the quarter!"
I am mostly on the buffet strategy. Pick stocks where you can understand what the company does and why they are a leader in their field and hold them.

Now that e-trade has been swallowed by morgan stanley I havent decided what to do. I dont really like MS. It is outside of a registered portfolio so selling triggers a decent capital gain (400% up since 2008 when I bought it).

^ too bad your bre-x was in a fund
would be neat to have some bre-x stock certificates

this (5,000 shares) was apparently worth $1.4M at the peak
would make a neat conversation piece framed

View attachment 46145

One of my co workers father was a "principal" in bre-x , a couple years later he died in a 4seater plane crash flying from Burlington to London Ont . for a golf game, they still had a lot of their money........ investigation ruled mechanical failure. Of a very meticulously maintained aircraft.......

One of my co workers father was a "principal" in bre-x , a couple years later he died in a 4seater plane crash flying from Burlington to London Ont . for a golf game, they still had a lot of their money........ investigation ruled mechanical failure. Of a very meticulously maintained aircraft.......

here's a blast from the past
pre-implosion
Geologist "falls" from helicopter

Oof...I guess safe just means it's stable. Unfortunately I've no clue how to stock pick, and never learned outside of the basics.

There is not a lot wrong with picking 5 or 6 companies that have been around for a long time and which pay dividends, split your investment between them, and sit back and collect dividends. It's better to own the bank, than to leave cash sitting in the bank.

My TFSA is like that. It's split 4 ways. With the limit on how much you can contribute, transaction fees would be killer on any sort of active trading strategy. So ... I look at it once per year. Whichever one of the 4 things it owns is worth the least, I top up with the annual contribution plus whatever cash is sitting in there from dividends.

yup
I've got a handful of longs
and a few take a flyer and hopes

only one of the flyers have I been smart enough to get out up
value investing just makes more sense

I took a flyer on DCBO.to at 15 earlier in the year bailed at 70 worked well I also use automatic orders once a stock is up more than 20% i set a automatic sell at 10% (if the stock drops 10 % or more from highpoint) it has worked well sometimes I miss gains but get out with a profit

There is not a lot wrong with picking 5 or 6 companies that have been around for a long time and which pay dividends, split your investment between them, and sit back and collect dividends.
Good strategy, that's what I have done as well, sitting at overall return of 50% since I started doing this back in March.

I also have about $1000 that I "day trade" with. With wealthsimple trade, they have no transaction fees for any TSX buy/sell.

Good strategy, that's what I have done as well, sitting at overall return of 50% since I started doing this back in March.

I also have about $1000 that I "day trade" with. With wealthsimple trade, they have no transaction fees for any TSX buy/sell.
March was a great time to start everything is way up since then

No transaction fee is nice. Why 1K? If you are chasing a few % swing, is it worth the time required to make $20? Even if you hit big, you only get ~$1000 return. If I believe in something enough that I think it is worth my money, I will put in at least 5K. If I don't think it's worth betting 5K on it, I don't bother.

No transaction fee is nice. Why 1K? If you are chasing a few % swing, is it worth the time required to make $20? Even if you hit big, you only get ~$1000 return. If I believe in something enough that I think it is worth my money, I will put in at least 5K. If I don't think it's worth betting 5K on it, I don't bother.

Probably his risk appetite...

With the increase in random people buying/selling stocks $1000 can go a long way now.....

With all the scary news in the US I do hope stocks keep diving into the red .....

Buy buy buy

Last edited by a moderator:
What's happening right now is that the US dollar is dropping. C$ = US$0.783518 right now.

Can you explain what's going on?

Was there actual truth to the hyper inflation too much money printing scare mongering???

Not completely, I don't know if anyone can.

I think right now, the forecast for a slow US recovery is a factor of the huge pandemic numbers, plus uncertainty around the US election (still). The rest of the world sees the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers and the implications are not lost on them.

Money-printing is a much longer term situation. Yes, it's inflationary, but right now, that inflationary pressure is just stopping what would otherwise be a catastrophic collapse.

A lot of people dont have, or can’t risk, investing 5k. I sure wouldn’t feel good if I lost 5k on stocks, and I have it sitting in the bank due to my low tolerance for risk.

Back
Top Bottom