Stocks | Page 43 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

A lot of people dont have, or can’t risk, investing 5k. I sure wouldn’t feel good if I lost 5k on stocks, and I have it sitting in the bank due to my low tolerance for risk.
Well, if you are buying stocks that can easily go to zero, you deserve to lose it occasionally. I don't buy those stocks. When I bought apple, they had a market cap of ~80B and cash reserves of ~20B. What the hell, 25% of my investment was backed by cash not fairy paper money (cough, crypto, cough weed stocks).

Well, if you are buying stocks that can easily go to zero, you deserve to lose it occasionally. I don't buy those stocks. When I bought apple, they had a market cap of ~80B and cash reserves of ~20B. What the hell, 25% of my investment was backed by cash not fairy paper money (cough, crypto, cough weed stocks).
This is what I need to learn....actually figuring out the financial statements of companies. Good call though. I mean apparently TESLA shouldn't be as valuable as it is...yet here we are. Rational? No...Emotional? Yes.

This is what I need to learn....actually figuring out the financial statements of companies. Good call though. I mean apparently TESLA shouldn't be as valuable as it is...yet here we are. Rational? No...Emotional? Yes.
Yup, basing investments upon actual numbers and reality has its downsides though. I have no position in Tesla. That means I missed this years 700% runup. Since Tesla is a play based strictly on fanatics and insanity, it is a gamble not an investment. We all know that at some point the bubble will pop, but timing that pop is almost impossible. If you had shorted it early this year, you would have been absolutely crushed. The last I saw, it was at $750 and analysts were saying proper valuation was ~$90.

TSLA is a pure ponzi scheme propped up by the new entrants. Getting onto S&P brought in a guaranteed massive investment to the bottom of the pyramid. They have already grabbed the robin hood money, now the S&P money, what is the next big pool that can be slid under the pyramid? Starting to run out of people to sign up and we all know what happens to Ponzi's when that happens.

A lot of people dont have, or can’t risk, investing 5k. I sure wouldn’t feel good if I lost 5k on stocks, and I have it sitting in the bank due to my low tolerance for risk.

If you're just going to leave it in the bank look at some high interest savings options. For my emergency fund I use a non-registered EQ savings account that earns 1.7%. They also just brought TFSA accounts to their platform which currently has a rate of 2.3% if you have unused TFSA space available.

I would be buying ETF's over just leaving in a savings account though.

If you're just going to leave it in the bank look at some high interest savings options. For my emergency fund I use a non-registered EQ savings account that earns 1.7%. They also just brought TFSA accounts to their platform which currently has a rate of 2.3% if you have unused TFSA space available.

I would be buying ETF's over just leaving in a savings account though.

This is exactly why I got into stocks.

My saving rate from the HISA was crap and I wanted something better.

You guys scared me with the drop talk but most things i am holding went up or unaffected so far
I don't get it. I am sitting on cash in my TFSA since march waiting for the reality of covid (deaths, productivity, costs, etc) to hit the markets. I obviously missed the huge run up. I have no idea wtf is going on. I still think there will be a correction and I will go in at that time but I will be way down from just putting it in as soon as I had it..

I don't get it. I am sitting on cash in my TFSA since march waiting for the reality of covid (deaths, productivity, costs, etc) to hit the markets. I obviously missed the huge run up. I have no idea wtf is going on. I still think there will be a correction and I will go in at that time.
I might sell out soon but am up 100% on vet.to right now 30%on BPY-UN.to and 20% on CHE-un.TO in the last month or so FRU.TO is also up 50% Getting around 10% dividend on CHE and BPY as well

The smart $ in the markets are always looking forward into the future not at what's happening now so IMO they're expecting a post-Covid burst to the economy not unlike what happened after WW2. I tend to agree. There will be bankruptcies continuing but, again, IMO there's a huge pent-up demand just waiting to go crazy on trips, eating out, & other leisure activities that people have had to do without.

Yeah, some have lost their jobs but the Gov't handouts have helped those and many more that don't actually need it. How else can you explain house prices rising and car sales having a much better than expected result than the OE's figured (although most of that I suspect is from people shying away from public transit).

However, if there are any chinks in the vaccine armour (severe side-effects, people dying, etc.), that's when I expect a big drop will happen.

Is there stupid $ in the market? Absolutely and the smart $ counts on it. The trick is to think like the smart $ but the crystal ball is definitely hazy.

The smart $ in the markets are always looking forward into the future not at what's happening now so IMO they're expecting a post-Covid burst to the economy not unlike what happened after WW2. I tend to agree. There will be bankruptcies continuing but, again, IMO there's a huge pent-up demand just waiting to go crazy on trips, eating out, & other leisure activities that people have had to do without.

Yeah, some have lost their jobs but the Gov't handouts have helped those and many more that don't actually need it. How else can you explain house prices rising and car sales having a much better than expected result than the OE's figured (although most of that I suspect is from people shying away from public transit).

However, if there are any chinks in the vaccine armour (severe side-effects, people dying, etc.), that's when I expect a big drop will happen.

Is there stupid $ in the market? Absolutely and the smart $ counts on it. The trick is to think like the smart $ but the crystal ball is definitely hazy.
I think you meant "kinks"? :)

Haha ... was wondering if I had it wrong but no, it is "chinks".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
The idiom "chink in one's armor" refers to an area of vulnerability. It has traditionally been used to refer to a weak spot in a figurative suit of armor.

still bullish on Benchmark Metals, I bought some a few months ago, BNCH.V
exploration drilling underway to prove out the ore body - gold
they're reporting some very promising, high grade gold intercepts

they have brought it an independent outfit to produce an economic feasibility study
will take awhile to have that complete, but expect a big jump in stock value as the drilling results are so strong

mine property is in an existing gold producing region with road access in place
mine friendly and politically stable jurisdiction: BC
they have the dough to get through this exploration phase
raised in private placement sells - not debt, balance sheet is good

trading around ~ $1/share, I'm gonna buy more

edit: it ain't just me
this outfit has a price target of $2.20 - $2.50

Toyota's game-changing solid-state battery en route for 2021 debut - Nikkei Asia

Looks like Toyota has some insight on the solid state battery end of things ... there's a lot of new co's making promises on SSB's but I'd trust Toyota more than any of them.

Some key points:

"A trip of 500 km on one charge. A recharge from zero to full in 10 minutes. All with minimal safety concerns. The solid-state battery being introduced by Toyota promises to be a game changer not just for electric vehicles but for an entire industry."

"The electric vehicles being developed by Toyota will have a range more than twice the distance of a vehicle running on a conventional lithium-ion battery under the same conditions. All accomplished without sacrificing interior space in even the most compact vehicle."

"Toyota stands at the top of the global heap with over 1,000 patents involving solid-state batteries. "

Unless Tesla has been doing something behind the scenes on the same tech, expect that stock to tank eventually.

Note to self: Follow Toyota stock.

Toyota's game-changing solid-state battery en route for 2021 debut - Nikkei Asia

Looks like Toyota has some insight on the solid state battery end of things ... there's a lot of new co's making promises on SSB's but I'd trust Toyota more than any of them.

Some key points:

"A trip of 500 km on one charge. A recharge from zero to full in 10 minutes. All with minimal safety concerns. The solid-state battery being introduced by Toyota promises to be a game changer not just for electric vehicles but for an entire industry."

"The electric vehicles being developed by Toyota will have a range more than twice the distance of a vehicle running on a conventional lithium-ion battery under the same conditions. All accomplished without sacrificing interior space in even the most compact vehicle."

"Toyota stands at the top of the global heap with over 1,000 patents involving solid-state batteries. "

Unless Tesla has been doing something behind the scenes on the same tech, expect that stock to tank eventually.

Note to self: Follow Toyota stock.
Yikes. ~75 kWh in 10 minutes. At 600V, that is 750 Amps. Take that electric grid. I doubt that is a practical charge rate, maybe just a theoretical rate in the lab. The cable would be unwieldy, it would probably need to drive into a docking station (think power tool battery charger but car size).

I want to see more hydrogen fuel cell stations please Mr TOYOTA

Yikes. ~75 kWh in 10 minutes. At 600V, that is 750 Amps. Take that electric grid. I doubt that is a practical charge rate, maybe just a theoretical rate in the lab. The cable would be unwieldy, it would probably need to drive into a docking station (think power tool battery charger but car size).
Electric buses will have something similar. Pull up to the station, connect (wirelessly) to the charger and charge as they're holding position. I remember this during one of my last projects where they were considering this type of charge system. It's been years so I don't recall the details, but basically like a huge Qi charger.

Back
Top Bottom