Hobbies? What keeps you sane? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hobbies? What keeps you sane?

I looked into a milling attachment for the lathe, and it does make a machine do two jobs. I'm thinking ( maybe over thinking ) the change over from one process to another will be limiting and a pain. That and the lathe I picked up is pretty compact , I'd be limited to a pretty small XY axis.

I may just bite the bullet and buy a mill/lathe combo machine, sell this lathe off.
I have a maximat super 11 I inhierited from my Old Boy. I dont have the milling head though. Would be a sweet addition.

1622295287568.png

When it comes to metal I've put metal cutting blade in the skil saw with good success. Also if you have carbide tipped blades you can cut some pretty thick aluminum (mind the noise and chips) but it sometimes comes at the cost of some missing carbide of the teeth.

When it comes to metal I've put metal cutting blade in the skil saw with good success. Also if you have carbide tipped blades you can cut some pretty thick aluminum (mind the noise and chips) but it sometimes comes at the cost of some missing carbide of the teeth.
I've done the same and lost a tooth on a blade. I always run a face shield to avoid having to pry a carbide tooth out of my forehead.

I have a skil saw, gear driven made for cutting steel and aluminum , it will cut 1/2" steel plate, however a bit deafening. I did buy a 10" blade for aluminum to go into a chop saw.
DO NOT use a regular carbide blade for cutting aluminum or steel on a table saw ect. They use a different alloy to blaze on the carbide and the blade body is a slightly different metal to absorb shock and keep the carbide teeth intact. Those teeth will go right through a plastic face shield like a .22 bullet. Play safe kids!

Great Thread!
For me it's definitely playing and relaxing in my garden while enjoying my veggies and my 420 plants. This year the 420 plants are a nice mix of THC and CBD plants and I will make some oil to give away to people in medical need, because I don't really consume very much.

For many years it's also been dj'ing music and recording sets to listen to when out riding or in the garden. I would also consider riding bikes a hobby, especially long days of exploring endless twisty roads and scenic areas - might be more of an addiction or obsession though.

Pre-Covid it was definitely fitness - with daily running, yoga and strength training.

I'm surprised no one listed posting on GTAM as your main hobby.

I have a maximat super 11 I inhierited from my Old Boy. I dont have the milling head though. Would be a sweet addition.

View attachment 49125
What I don't like about my mini lathe

To change cross feed or TPI means literally changing gears. Take out 40 tooth and replace with 36 tooth in position A then replace gear C with blah blah blah.

The lathe motor has about the power of a cheap 3/8" drill, 3 Amps so heavy cuts are not on the menu

The cross, longitudinal and angle feed cranks are very close together and it's easy to bump one when you didn't intend to.

There is some flex to the bed

I liked the priced and weight. I can carry it if needed.

FS Tools sells a 12" carbide tipped blade specifically for cutting aluminum.

So like oil change and new zip ties to hold the rad shrouds?

Fork service
Steering head bearings
New oversized front brake rotor
New brake pads front and rear.
Brake fluid flush and fill
Coolant change
Oil change
Carberator rebuild
Petcock rebuild
New choke cable
Heated grip repair
New battery
New spark plug
New chain
New sprockets
New tires/tubes

I think that's it...

Workout every day. Dirtbiking in the summer and snowmobiling in the winter. I still mountainbike a bit and I'm going to do it more but I've stopped skiing/snowboarding becuase my knees don't agree with it (I'll still go out occasionally though). In between that I'm working on whatever house we're living in and spending time with our first-born that arrived last summer.

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention astronomy or star gazing.

Anyone have recommendations for a beginner telescope? My little guy (4) has shown an interest in stars and planets and although young I’d like to get him exposed in some capacity maybe it could interest him further and foster some growth.

Anyone have recommendations for a beginner telescope? My little guy (4) has shown an interest in stars and planets and although young I’d like to get him exposed in some capacity maybe it could interest him further and foster some growth.
Dont buy a "kid" telescope. Got one for the kid for xmas. Bleeping useless. Stumpy tripod requires you to be on hands and knees and breath on in and it moves. A bigger more substantial object would make a world of difference (not to mention better optics.

Dont buy a "kid" telescope. Got one for the kid for xmas. Bleeping useless. Stumpy tripod requires you to be on hands and knees and breath on in and it moves. A bigger more substantial object would make a world of difference (not to mention better optics.
Cheap lenses make viewing worse, not better. Even a decent pair of binoculars is fun.

Last edited:
Cheap lenses make viewing worse, not better. Even a decent pair of binoculars are fun.
This. We tried out my FILs old binoculars and you could see the details of the moon fairly well. The shaking sucked ass though.

I can only imagine how good a decent telescope will work.

This. We tried out my FILs old binoculars and you could see the details of the moon fairly well. The shaking sucked ass though.

The other problem with binoculars is that the little one would be looking up and it's hard on his neck. A shot or two of your lemoncello will get him flat on his back and relieve the neck strain. Mind you, it'll mess with his focus.

Where's Trials when you need him? I gathered that he was heavy into this stuff.

If you can figure out a way to attach binoculars to a tripod it will be better that hand held. Possibly as simple as a clamp holding them on.

They make binoculars that mount on tripods that can be used (20x80mm iirc) but for the cost I wouldn rather look at telescopes. Telescopes are also more comfortable to look through with the eyepiece perpendicular to the LOS.

Not sure what your budget is when you say beginner telescope, but for a four year old if you haven't already, I would be starting with awesome picture books, of which there are lots for young kids. For a starter telescope, how about something like this: Celestron 21039 PowerSeeker 50 AZ Refractor Telescope NEVER USED | Cameras & Camcorders | City of Toronto | Kijiji

or this one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ackpack-telescope-1759421p.html?rrec=true#spc

I bought this one for my Mom who was really interested in astronomy for many years and still is. She lives up near Awenda Park where the night skies are awesome. We liked that it came apart in two pieces so it could sit out on the back deck for normal viewing, but when she wanted a really broad view of the night sky, then we would take it down to the beach and set it up at the water's edge.

Let me check my book. It has recomendations for both scope and binoculars. But I remember for sure DON"T buy a cheap one.

Back
Top Bottom