Hobbies? What keeps you sane? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hobbies? What keeps you sane?

I've got too many hobbies and too little time and money. Hope you guys don't mind pics.

Got into leatherwork a few years ago. Started making watch straps and expanded to other things like sheaths, pouches ect.
RTpa3wb.jpg

wovbqs0.jpg

I also get involved in a bit of wood working and carving.
ZB7zr6E.jpg

6rvMfu3.jpg

Y5RxZWU.jpg

Then my first pandemic project was building Muskoka chairs. The cost of materials was actually higher than buying a pre-made chair in the end but at least I can say I built them!
TAIJgjC.jpg

My current project is finishing a DIY guitar kit.
7urpngY.jpg
Good stuff. I'm currently working on a leather Flat Cap for a friend in the US.

We have a lot of family out there. I've been seriously kicking around the idea of moving to NB shortly. People are so much nicer there and so much of the lifestyle there agrees with me. House prices are excellent and you can get a massive piece of land and build for peanuts compared to here. Have a great time when you make the move.
I can agree to this. I spent some time in NB for work (Doaktown) the people we fantastic and the scenery was breath taking. Cost of housing there is crazy low, sadly so are the job prospects (based on my industry) I also had the chance to deal with a real NB snow storm and that was where I changed my mind.. But I'd still go if I could work from home full-time.

I can agree to this. I spent some time in NB for work (Doaktown) the people we fantastic and the scenery was breath taking. Cost of housing there is crazy low, sadly so are the job prospects (based on my industry) I also had the chance to deal with a real NB snow storm and that was where I changed my mind.. But I'd still go if I could work from home full-time.
I have a good friend who lives out in Truro, NS and teaches at Dalhousie. First winter there was 7 ft of snow, but I'm not sure if that's an annual thing or a freak occurrence. Either way, the winter is long. If you like winter it's great - if you don't like winter it can be very hard.

I have a good friend who lives out in Truro, NS and teaches at Dalhousie. First winter there was 7 ft of snow, but I'm not sure if that's an annual thing or a freak occurrence. Either way, the winter is long. If you like winter it's great - if you don't like winter it can be very hard.
When I lived on PEI, as a kid, there were a couple of times that my father had to go out an upstairs window because snow had blocked everything on the ground floor.

I've got too many hobbies and too little time and money. Hope you guys don't mind pics.

Got into leatherwork a few years ago. Started making watch straps and expanded to other things like sheaths, pouches ect.
RTpa3wb.jpg

wovbqs0.jpg

I also get involved in a bit of wood working and carving.
ZB7zr6E.jpg

6rvMfu3.jpg

Y5RxZWU.jpg

Then my first pandemic project was building Muskoka chairs. The cost of materials was actually higher than buying a pre-made chair in the end but at least I can say I built them!
TAIJgjC.jpg

My current project is finishing a DIY guitar kit.
7urpngY.jpg
Love the deck and saving the whale.

@i-WERKS beautiful work!

Any recommendations on how to get started with the wood carving and leather work?

@i-WERKS beautiful work!

Any recommendations on how to get started with the wood carving and leather work?
For leatherwork, the easiest way would be to buy one of the beginners kits from Tandy Leather. They generally include a few simple projects and the basic tools that you would need in order to complete them. You would also want to pick up something like a foot square quartz slab and a plastic cutting board, so that you have something to stamp/punch on. This should give you an idea:

There are also tons of Youtube channels that discuss proper technique. Tandy does videos on how to use their tools and other products. You can pick up ideas from Dieselpunk | Leather Patterns , both on his site and Youtube. Lots more.

I started off exactly as Rob MacLennan described. Got a basic kit from Tandy leather that included an awl, stitch spacing wheel, groover tool and some stitching needles and thread. I picked up a bag of leather scraps from Tandy as well as some cement. Watched some youtube videos and went on my way. I eventually found that I prefer working with veg tan leather because of the way it patinas and the fact I can dye the leather. Once I knew I was going to do this for a while, I picked up some stitching prongs, edge beveller tool and a rubber mat to rest the work while punching holes for stitching.

For the wood carving, I started off with a few clamps so that I can glue lumber for larger pieces and a plunge router with cheap bits from princess auto. For hand carving, I use a set of $25 carving knives from Amazon, a japanese pull saw and some chisels. I only carve on pine because of the softer wood is easier to work with. This eventually gave me confidence to attempt doing shell inlays in my project guitar.
l85QNz0.jpg

It's been quite a while since anyone added to this thread but just thought I'd mention I picked up an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro SLA resin 3D printer. It's only a 2K unit, not 4K, but I couldn't really justify the cost of 4K for a glorified toy. I really only have a couple of things to print at the moment, but I'm sure I'll figure more out as I go.

It's been quite a while since anyone added to this thread but just thought I'd mention I picked up an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro SLA resin 3D printer. It's only a 2K unit, not 4K, but I couldn't really justify the cost of 4K for a glorified toy. I really only have a couple of things to print at the moment, but I'm sure I'll figure more out as I go.
Haha, due to some unfortunate auction outcomes, I have spools of filament but no printer. Printer was reasonably priced when I won the spools but a couple people went nuts before the printer closed.

Haha, due to some unfortunate auction outcomes, I have spools of filament but no printer. Printer was reasonably priced when I won the spools but a couple people went nuts before the printer closed.
I've got a cheapo printer going up for sale. Bought if off a buddy, but not using it anywhere near enough to justify keeping it.

Wow some excellent work. Nice looking boat. I saw a boat like this during a ride out to Erieu. It really stood out compared to the others on the water.
Antique Boat Museum in Clayton NY is worth the trip. They have the typical indoor eye candy and rides on the lake if you want to experience one.

I see this thread was dead for a while... I wish I have talents restoring wooden boats or guitars :(

The single best hobby never failed me (so far) to stay sane - running outside - cheap and effective.
*Bonus effect achieved when done in temperatures below -10C or above +30C. everyone should try it IMO :)

I see this thread was dead for a while... I wish I have talents restoring wooden boats or guitars :(

The single best hobby never failed me (so far) to stay sane - running outside - cheap and effective.
*Bonus effect achieved when done in temperatures below -10C or above +30C. everyone should try it IMO :)
There is a group of women that runs in newmarket that are nice people. Decent range of speeds. My wife found that running with people was beneficial as if you are supposed to run alone, looking out the window often kills that idea.

Wow some excellent work. Nice looking boat. I saw a boat like this during a ride out to Erieu. It really stood out compared to the others on the water.
Wow, you went to Erieau? My old stomping grounds!

I tried that but it's no fun at all unless someone is chasing you.

Back
Top Bottom