Hobbies? What keeps you sane? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hobbies? What keeps you sane?

I keep thinking about a DLP printer, desktop CNC, or both. They would be handy for those times that I want to make a one-off component, or produce something in small quantities, but I keep coming up against the fact that I just wouldn't use them enough to justify the expense.
Once this mess clears up, joining a makerspace may be worthwhile. Being part of a team spending money on toys means you can afford more toys than as an individual.

Once this mess clears up, joining a makerspace may be worthwhile. Being part of a team spending money on toys means you can afford more toys than as an individual.
Not a bad idea. A co-worker who has a FDM printer helped me out by making the eyepieces for this.

Attachments

• 20210527_143802.jpg
    20210527_143802.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
The last few months have been consumed with selling our house and buying a place in Nova Scotia. 16 years in a house leads to a tonne of crap to be sorted, sold, disposed or packed. Spare time has been spent
- Binge watching foreign shows on Netflix
- Using Spotify to discover new music and then searching record stores to purchase new vinyl
Once the move is completed then plan to pick up a dual sport and a side by side to be able to explore all the trails that are around.
What part of NS are you moving to?

I am quite happy being oblivious to some hobbies that people may have. Admire the craftsmanship, ignore the potential function.
You might be surprised at some of the creative uses people have found for chainmail. Then again you might not. I stay out of that area of the chainmailing forum :ROFLMAO:

Just teasing Rob. On a serious note, on one vacation I came across a woman who made handbags and various things from woven can ring pulls. I wish I had a picture of them because the first thing I thought when I saw them was that they looked just like chainmail but at a fraction of the weight.

I haven't, at this point, because materials and labour would make the price more than most would be willing to pay, in this "everything is made in the Third World" economy.

It never hurts to throw it out there. It looks like you’re making a quality product and while I probably wouldn’t wear it regularly just based on my style I would definitely consider buying one. I also don’t expect anything of value for next to free and appreciate quality craftsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

It never hurts to throw it out there. It looks like you’re making a quality product and while I probably wouldn’t wear it regularly just based on my style I would definitely consider buying one. I also don’t expect anything of value for next to free and appreciate quality craftsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Likewise. I saw a beautiful leather cap my old boss had. I want one. But can’t find it as he bought it in Ghana and no longer travels there.

It’s good education to go and see how products are made. It changes your perspective on cost. Watching cigars get rolled by hand, seeing artisan chocolate processed from the cacao pods, watching a potter throw a pot, fire it, glaze it etc.

Would the HEMA guys pay five figures for a shirt and if yes, do you want to burn out your eyeballs making them when you could get someone in the Pacific rim to do it for 1/10th the cost?

Are the links welded or silver soldered? If I decided to make a pie weight I would use food grade silver solder but there are some tricks to the metallurgy that might not work with food grade materials. It's not an issue right now as I have enough on my plate.

I also bake my own bread and share with neighbours at my pleasure. Minimum wage plus material would be $50 a loaf. In quantity I could get it down to $20 a loaf which would net me $120 a day. If I don't like the job I don't get out of bed for less than twice that.

I could get down to $10-12 a loaf and up the daily income to a grand or more but that would mean phenomenal capital outlay, a reduction in quality due to additives needed for production and suddenly I'm just another struggling baker, one bad month away from bankruptcy.
Pics of the bread?? What ingredients?

16 years in a house leads to a tonne of crap to be sorted, sold, disposed or packed.

I can attest to that. 14 years of accumulation before we sold/gave away/threw out everything.

It was pretty cathartic paring down like that.

The trick is not to get back into accumulation mode when you land again.

The flip-side to the above is my buddy who bought a larger house because he ran out of room in his old place. When I was helping him move, I carried so many unopened cardboard boxes labelled: "Stuff from <<address from two houses before>> and "1998 Stuff" "2005 Stuff"...

If he had thrown out stuff he hadn't looked at in over 20 years, he wouldn't have had to move. He was basically just buying a bigger storage unit.

video games, occasionally reading

I can attest to that. 14 years of accumulation before we sold/gave away/threw out everything.

It was pretty cathartic paring down like that.

The trick is not to get back into accumulation mode when you land again.

The flip-side to the above is my buddy who bought a larger house because he ran out of room in his old place. When I was helping him move, I carried so many unopened cardboard boxes labelled: "Stuff from <<address from two houses before>> and "1998 Stuff" "2005 Stuff"...

If he had thrown out stuff he hadn't looked at in over 20 years, he wouldn't have had to move. He was basically just buying a bigger storage unit.
After 9 years of crap in the last house, I try to do a room a year in this house. Everything out, clean, put stuff back in that is used. It's not perfect but it fixes the issue of things building up in the backs of closets.

I found a secret storage room in my house yesterday. I dropped soffit to get into a gable with no other access and for whatever reason there is a floor in the space. You have to access through the soffit so it isn't convenient but if I decide it's useful, I could put an access hatch in from a bedroom.

My retired buddy cleans out defaulted rental storage units . 95% of the time its just dumpster crap. And somebody paid $200 a month, for years .

I'd like to buy a small milling machine, about 1/2 way between a "model makers toy" and a real one. I have about zero actual need for it, but that's not the point is it .

Back
Top Bottom