Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 121 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Fence update, all installed, posts cut and topped. We will paint it in the next couple of days.... fill in the post holes. Then some landscaping in the front between the fence and city sidewalk (garden) in the spring. Fence started as used ~5 foot sections with a flush bottom rail, cut and welded to 41 inch tall sections and through pickets at the bottom.

20211018_173539.jpg

20211018_173714.jpg

What we started with....

Fence Old 1.jpg

Fence update, all installed, posts cut and topped. We will paint it in the next couple of days.... fill in the post holes. Then some landscaping in the front between the fence and city sidewalk (garden) in the spring. Fence started as used ~5 foot sections with a flush bottom rail, cut and welded to 41 inch tall sections and through pickets at the bottom.

View attachment 51870

View attachment 51868

What we started with....

View attachment 51871
Looks great.

Wife is tossing around the idea of increasing the house size…we ideally would like an additional bedroom, and a third bathroom (half). The lot will allow us to go back another 8-10ft without really affecting the yard, and because of the side split layout the logical solution would be to build up above the living room.

Where does one even start on such a plan? What costs should I expect just to get ideas / designs / estimates? Obviously no one works for free but I’ve no clue where to start with this?

I’ve heard and looked into the modular additions years ago. Anyone try that? Rip the roof off, plop down the modular build and I can do the finish myself. Just need the frame and roof to be done.

EDIT: we’re not really considering selling and buying different as we love the area and it may not work out financially.
I sketched up a variation of that for our house but never hit the "GO" button.

1) Another set of stairs to a house with too many already

2) Split levels are hard to merge into an attractive exterior with the existing facade.

The plus would have been a 500 square foot master suite / retreat etc. I would have had the shell framed and closed in by a contractor but finished most of it myself and by calling in favours.

There didn't seem to be any below grade problems but it would have taken some work to avoid ripping down the existing living and dining room ceilings.

Now we're empty nesters so it's not on the books, especially with the vague market. Spending a couple of hundred grand to see it torn out if we sold.

A friend topped his bungalow and it looked great................until you went into the basement and you realized the house was 70 years old.

I wonder if I could make the attic into living space…it’s there anyway lol.

Wife is getting excited already lol. Ugh. I don’t think it’s worth buying and selling looking at the pricing.

All I need is the exterior framed, and ducting run. I can deal with the rest. And adding it atop the living room would allow me to work while not killing the use of the rest of the house.

I reached out to Modular Homes for a quote. We will see how this pans out.

I wonder if I could make the attic into living space…it’s there anyway lol.

Wife is getting excited already lol. Ugh. I don’t think it’s worth buying and selling looking at the pricing.

All I need is the exterior framed, and ducting run. I can deal with the rest. And adding it atop the living room would allow me to work while not killing the use of the rest of the house.

I reached out to Modular Homes for a quote. We will see how this pans out.
If you went the story and a half route and didn't using the complete footprint but have lots of glass it could look OK, almost like a belveder lookout The structural could be a challenge.

$275k rough estimate for the entire job to add a level, with HST. $180k for the outside walls, new windows and new roof with the electrical and remainder being done by me.

$275k rough estimate for the entire job to add a level, with HST. $180k for the outside walls, new windows and new roof with the electrical and remainder being done by me.
You know this already, but get more quotes.

Before we did our reno we got 3 well referred firms out for detailed visits and give quotes. They varied around $100k!

You know this already, but get more quotes.

Before we did our reno we got 3 well referred firms out for detailed visits and give quotes. They varied around $100k!
Go with the company you trust/like instead of the numbers. With variations that big, you don't know if the bottom company screwed up their pricing. If they got it wrong, are they going to nickel and dime you to make up the difference, walk off so they don't lose money or complete the agreed work for the agreed price?

When I got my roof done, I knew the company I picked had cut it too tight. Part way through, they needed more shingles and explained what happened. They proposed I buy the material, they supply the labour on the extra but said they would complete the job properly whether I paid or not. It was about 5% so within the contingency I already had in my head so I gave them what they asked for. FWIW, quotes were in two groups with the high group roughly double the low group. This is strip and shingle. Everybody is working with the same square footage (I gave them all a roof report I made with all quantities and told them to confirm) and similar materials. The best I could figure was the high ones spent a lot more money on advertising and business development.

I looked into this as well about 5yrs ago when I was looking at buying a 1500ft bungalow in perfect location but not quite family sized so I priced putting a second story on it. IIRC exterior work was roughly $100k then whatever I wanted for interior was extra.

Do you know what sounds cheaper? Iceberg house with your house extending under almost your entire back yard. Also helps your work cred by applying your knowledge to your own life. Install light tubes disguised as lawn art and it will even be bright down there.

Do you know what sounds cheaper? Iceberg house with your house extending under almost your entire back yard. Also helps your work cred by applying your knowledge to your own life. Install light tubes disguised as lawn art and it will even be bright down there.
It’s funny I talked to a few buddies in construction and they have completely opposing views of the cost:

- sounds cheap to me
- whoa! WTF are they doing for that price? Insanity

Not anything serious but I've spent the last few weeks finishing this desktop and putting together a standing desk, and finally got it done today. Still trying to figure out how to clean up the wires for my keyboard/numpad/mouse without drilling a hole through the top.

LwHnjRj.jpg

Not anything serious but I've spent the last few weeks finishing this desktop and putting together a standing desk, and finally got it done today. Still trying to figure out how to clean up the wires for my keyboard/numpad/mouse without drilling a hole through the top.

LwHnjRj.jpg
I'm guessing gaming is important? I don't care about gaming performance and I went with wireless Logitech Master keyboard and mouse. Acceptable for me and both can easily switch between three computers so I could ditch the kvm too. Backlit wireless keyboard works well but needs plugged in approximately one night per week. I normally use the keyboard for two computers, the mouse for one and a wired trackball for the other computer (right hand for mouse, left hand for trackball).

I'm guessing gaming is important? I don't care about gaming performance and I went with wireless Logitech Master keyboard and mouse. Acceptable for me and both can easily switch between three computers so I could ditch the kvm too. Backlit wireless keyboard works well but needs plugged in approximately one night per week. I normally use the keyboard for two computers, the mouse for one and a wired trackball for the other computer (right hand for mouse, left hand for trackball).
I don't really do much gaming anymore. I do have a wireless mouse (Logitech G502LS) however it has a cord to charge it, and you cant find a good wireless mechanical keyboard.

Nice setup @48Connor i particularly like the keyboard!
Thanks! The keyboard is an iKBC MF108 and the keycaps are the 1976 SA set from pimpmykeyboard.com.

I have a handful of keyboards, while this one isn't my favorite because it has Cherry MX black switches, its unique since the case is one big piece of machined aluminum. Weighs like 5lbs

Last edited:
Thanks! The keyboard is an iKBC MF108 and the keycaps are the 1976 SA set from pimpmykeyboard.com.

I have a handful of keyboards, while this one isn't my favorite because it has Cherry MX black switches, it unique since the case is one big piece of machined aluminum. Weighs like 5lbs
Wow nice! Clickity Clickity Clack Clack!

EDIT: Wow...talk about a keyboard rabbit hole...it's a keyboard...or is it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom