Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 122 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Friends have an original to house, 28yr old kitchen . Its fine. 10 yrs ago they had a kitchen quote at 25K , craziness 25K !! 5 yrs ago they thought geez lets get on this 55K , holy fuckoly !! so last month they get a kitchen quote , flooring and nice granite and its 120K . Woodwork , tops and white oak flooring . That's a lot of money and its not a big space .
I'm told that's sort of average right now.

Friends have an original to house, 28yr old kitchen . Its fine. 10 yrs ago they had a kitchen quote at 25K , craziness 25K !! 5 yrs ago they thought geez lets get on this 55K , holy fuckoly !! so last month they get a kitchen quote , flooring and nice granite and its 120K . Woodwork , tops and white oak flooring . That's a lot of money and its not a big space .
Not surprised. More than I would pay. If I get to the point of wanting something different I will build my own.

FWIW, played around with a friends 60" wolf on the weekend. Meh. Pulled it apart to clean simmer jets as they were all plugged. Griddle takes 30 minutes to heat up and half a day to cool off. It's mainly a showpiece and not much more functional than a typical 30" stove (other than double ovens). Just appliances in that kitchen added up to a luxury car.

120k for a kitchen…and I’m quoted 180 for a 550sqft second story…wow.

Guess I am never getting a new kitchen at prices like that.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Electrician surprised me by showing up. The four plugs are now powered up, attached by a junction box to an existing circuit.
I asked when the job was going to be inspected, but he put me off and said I need to talk to the supervisor.
I'm not sure if this crew was planning on having it inspected or not.

Electrician surprised me by showing up. The four plugs are now powered up, attached by a junction box to an existing circuit.
I asked when the job was going to be inspected, but he put me off and said I need to talk to the supervisor.
I’m gonna go with a hard no on the inspection…

I’m gonna go with a hard no on the inspection…
When they dont bother to power up outlets and then steal from another circuit that you didnt install so you dont know how many devices are in the circuit, I completely agree.

The next question is now what? Baggsy makes the call for inspection? Inspector isnt going to like that things are closed up without a look. Would he have to open things up again? Probably little chance ESA will gut punch his contractor to make them smarten up. Without an inspection, insurance could deny a claim by baggsy. Ugh. I stand by my assertion that is almost impossible to hire someone to do a job properly regardless of the price.

When they dont bother to power up outlets and then steal from another circuit that you didnt install so you dont know how many devices are in the circuit, I completely agree.

The next question is now what? Baggsy makes the call for inspection? Inspector isnt going to like that things are closed up without a look. Would he have to open things up again? Probably little chance ESA will gut punch his contractor to make them smarten up. Without an inspection, insurance could deny a claim by baggsy. Ugh. I stand by my assertion that is almost impossible to hire someone to do a job properly regardless of the price.
“It was like that when I bought it”

“When are you paying me?”

”After the inspection”

stalemate.

Inspectors have a pretty wide schedule. You're lucky if they narrow it down to a half day and may want the electrician there, sitting on his thumbs until the inspector shows up. Not a good use of labour.

Covid concerns affect whether the inspector even wants to show up.

I am told ESA wants contractors to get pre-approved so while a permit is pulled and paid for the job is never inspected.

ESA takes no responsibility for errors even with a permit as they can't check everything.

This insurance denial is getting a bit tiring. We buy insurance in case someone makes a mistake but the insurers take an ax to claims while the government hold their coats.

FWIW, played around with a friends 60" wolf on the weekend. Meh. Pulled it apart to clean simmer jets as they were all plugged. Griddle takes 30 minutes to heat up and half a day to cool off. It's mainly a showpiece and not much more functional than a typical 30" stove (

Friend bought 60" wolf for the cottage , had one at home. Its an 11K stove that has had three service calls in a year. The BMW of appliances.
Store has opened near me called Best Appliances, they have French ovens at 30K and 6K dishwashers . Its a thing. Around the lakefront having 100k in appliances is not hard ( not here LOL) .
On a happy note the door latch on my microwave jammed and after 30mins to figure out how it came out of the wall , a YouTube instructional saved me 1k for a replacement . Panasonic inverter commercial , odd size so thats the only thing that would replace in the hole without surgery.

Normal by the book proper process.... electrician opens a permit, they do the rough-in, it is inspected, then they close everything up and hook up all the devices, second inspection and done. @Baggsy it is very unlikely they pulled a permit. Also, a permit would require the entire circuit be brought up to current code including AFCI and of course device count. Is it a big problem there was no permit, depends on personal opinion and the quality of the work in this context....? BTW, if they know the electrician and the work has always been high quality the inspection may be more of a rubber stamp, so to speak.

As a homeowner that has done their own work on a permit the ESA gives you a day, between 8AM and 4PM.... They may give a tighter window for trades but this window is a high cost, now you pay the electrician to stand around at their hourly rate twice for the two inspection, for a small job that will likely be more hours than the job actually took!

Kitchen reno is on our needed list (it is rough). I will make my own cabinets, do my own work.... $40K to hire out becomes $<10K based on counter-tops. BTW, I have done some concrete ones and they turn out quite nice.

Normal by the book proper process.... electrician opens a permit, they do the rough-in, it is inspected, then they close everything up and hook up all the devices, second inspection and done. @Baggsy it is very unlikely they pulled a permit. Also, a permit would require the entire circuit be brought up to current code including AFCI and of course device count. Is it a big problem there was no permit, depends on personal opinion and the quality of the work in this context....? BTW, if they know the electrician and the work has always been high quality the inspection may be more of a rubber stamp, so to speak.

As a homeowner that has done their own work on a permit the ESA gives you a day, between 8AM and 4PM.... They may give a tighter window for trades but this window is a high cost, now you pay the electrician to stand around at their hourly rate twice for the two inspection, for a small job that will likely be more hours than the job actually took!

Kitchen reno is on our needed list (it is rough). I will make my own cabinets, do my own work.... $40K to hire out becomes $<10K based on counter-tops. BTW, I have done some concrete ones and they turn out quite nice.
If you are doing your own concrete countertop and can spare a bit of space in an island people sit at, hydronic loop with a heat pump to control temperature of the surface is a pretty pimp upgrade. Normally you'd run it a little warm so it doesnt feel cold to the touch but you could cool it off for things like kneading dough. Obviously a much cheaper and simpler option is electric in-floor heating in the counter if you dont care about cooling.

If you are doing your own concrete countertop and can spare a bit of space in an island people sit at, hydronic loop with a heat pump to control temperature of the surface is a pretty pimp upgrade. Normally you'd run it a little warm so it doesnt feel cold to the touch but you could cool it off for things like kneading dough. Obviously a much cheaper and simpler option is electric in-floor heating in the counter if you dont care about cooling.
Ahhh but the floor warming cable isn't CSA rated for a countertop just like a floor warming cable can't be used for radiant ceiling heating.

Ages ago I got a call from a condo that had a fire in a suite and a ceiling cable got destroyed as they scraped the smoke laden popcorn stucco off the ceiling.

The cable may have been doing a bit of radiant heating but as it only did the outside perimeter of the room it's main purpose was to minimize frost deterioration of the exposed edge of the concrete slab. It also heated a small bit of floor for the person living above and they liked to sit there and look out over the city. It needed to be replaced.

That type of cable was no longer manufactured as radiant ceiling cables go in plaster not drywall and plaster is rare.

I suggested a floor warming cable but it didn't have the appropriate stickers on the tag and no manufacturer was going to spend five figures on a CSA approval for one cable. The floor warming cable is fifty times better than the old junk.

I called about a special inspection and got the electric merry-go-round and after being referred to "Someone else" about six times I ended up with the first guy I talked to.

The bottom line is that a person was looking under a bed for something and used a candle to see what they were doing. When the bed caught fire they panicked and ran out leaving doors open. In the ensuing chaos and smoke someone died of a heart attack. IMO hydro blacklisted the job.

I knew the condo board chairman, a retired engineer, and suggested he use his spare time to resolve the impasse.

Ahhh but the floor warming cable isn't CSA rated for a countertop just like a floor warming cable can't be used for radiant ceiling heating.

Ages ago I got a call from a condo that had a fire in a suite and a ceiling cable got destroyed as they scraped the smoke laden popcorn stucco off the ceiling.

The cable may have been doing a bit of radiant heating but as it only did the outside perimeter of the room it's main purpose was to minimize frost deterioration of the exposed edge of the concrete slab. It also heated a small bit of floor for the person living above and they liked to sit there and look out over the city. It needed to be replaced.

That type of cable was no longer manufactured as radiant ceiling cables go in plaster not drywall and plaster is rare.

I suggested a floor warming cable but it didn't have the appropriate stickers on the tag and no manufacturer was going to spend five figures on a CSA approval for one cable. The floor warming cable is fifty times better than the old junk.

I called about a special inspection and got the electric merry-go-round and after being referred to "Someone else" about six times I ended up with the first guy I talked to.

The bottom line is that a person was looking under a bed for something and used a candle to see what they were doing. When the bed caught fire they panicked and ran out leaving doors open. In the ensuing chaos and smoke someone died of a heart attack. IMO hydro blacklisted the job.

I knew the condo board chairman, a retired engineer, and suggested he use his spare time to resolve the impasse.
Good point. I wouldnt be too concerned about a cable encased in concrete causing a fire but if you want legal compliance, you may not be able to go that way. Tiny hot water tank, pump and hydronic loop could work but way more money, space and effort.

It is something I have never thought about..... peaked my interest in heated counter tops :)

We are hydronic heat. One counter in the kitchen will be directly above the kitchen radiator (no cabinet) so it will be kind of heated.

the people at Eden Tile in burlington have a beautiful granite service countertop with a 24x48 pre wired heat pad under it like you may use in a bathroom floor.
Its a bit disarming when you first lean on it and its toasty warm .

This talk of kitchens has me thinking…I need a new range. Say 2-4K. For 4K it needs to massage me sensually though. I’m thinking I’d like induction (seems to be the most efficient) and maybe a double oven. Any brands to stay away from? Samsung have a decent looking one but I’m wary of their name for large appliances. LG too but again, slightly wary even though I have an LG dishwasher which has been fine but not outstanding and also a couple of warranty service calls. Double oven worth it? I do a fair bit of cooking. Also would prefer a slide in although what’s there now is a free standing one with a traditional back control area. From what I’ve read some slide in’s come with kits to fill gaps and some don’t need it and some don’t come with them. Confusing at times.

Back
Top Bottom