Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 123 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

This talk of kitchens has me thinking…I need a new range. Say 2-4K. For 4K it needs to massage me sensually though. I’m thinking I’d like induction (seems to be the most efficient) and maybe a double oven. Any brands to stay away from? Samsung have a decent looking one but I’m wary of their name for large appliances. LG too but again, slightly wary even though I have an LG dishwasher which has been fine but not outstanding and also a couple of warranty service calls. Double oven worth it? I do a fair bit of cooking. Also would prefer a slide in although what’s there now is a free standing one with a traditional back control area. From what I’ve read some slide in’s come with kits to fill gaps and some don’t need it and some don’t come with them. Confusing at times.
We bought all new appliances ranging from Bosch, Electrolux, Whirlpool, KitchenAid last Fall. The top level in each. Already had to have service calls with parts replaced for both Electrolux pieces and the Whirlpool.
Our combo wall-oven/microwave is Whirlpool (currently awaiting entire new control panel) and the slide-in range is KitchenAid Professional. No issues so far with the range (we have the matching fridge and also no issues).
Doing research when we bought last year most said to stay away from the Samsung ranges but that after a few bad years they had the fridges working reliably.

anybody looking at a double oven , if its not stacked two full size , make sure a regular sized baking sheet fits in it. some are undersized and you will hate it very quickly .
High end appliances being made right now are styling excercizes and expensive features , not better quality.

anybody looking at a double oven , if its not stacked two full size , make sure a regular sized baking sheet fits in it. some are undersized and you will hate it very quickly .
High end appliances being made right now are styling excercizes and expensive features , not better quality.
Agree 100%. We thought buying the better stuff would leave us with less issues. Hearing from others now that they a have horrible track records. Seems the basic white featureless stuff always seems to work.

My inlaws latest stove can use the drawer as oven 2. Good for reheating or warming, not great for cooking, not enough space. I think that may have been used once. Now it is storage like everybody else's.

I havent had the chance to cook on an induction stove. I prefer gas over ceramic by a mile but gas is not without issues (primarily more heat equals larger ring of fire which is a pain). Induction should theoretically combines the benefits of both. For those getting older, induction is a hard no go for pacemakers.

I settled on induction as it’s supposedly more efficient than gas and way more efficient than traditional electric ranges. Add to that that only the cooking vessel gets hot, heating is more sensitive and cleanup of the surface is easier and it all sounds pretty good. Just need to do the magnet test on my current pans but I’ll buy new ones if need be. Just waiting for a decent deal on one with a good name/reputation/built well. Not totally set on the double oven but it would be nice. I hate the wasted draw at the bottom of normal ranges. It just ends up with crap collecting dust in it usually.

I settled on induction as it’s supposedly more efficient than gas and way more efficient than traditional electric ranges. Add to that that only the cooking vessel gets hot, heating is more sensitive and cleanup of the surface is easier and it all sounds pretty good. Just need to do the magnet test on my current pans but I’ll buy new ones if need be. Just waiting for a decent deal on one with a good name/reputation/built well. Not totally set on the double oven but it would be nice. I hate the wasted draw at the bottom of normal ranges. It just ends up with crap collecting dust in it usually.
Induction with double oven is about as expensive as you can get. Seems strange when you can buy single burner induction for $100 a burner, why is it a $1000 to 1500 upgrade on a stove? Marketing wank is my guess.

I haven't used one, but I suspect I would hate double ovens in a 30" range. Try to cook a turkey or put in something tall and neither oven is big enough. If you have one full size and one in the drawer, I find the drawer oven almost useless. Double ovens in a 60" range gives you two full size ovens so that works (although the space that beast takes up is excessive). If I really wanted double ovens, I think the best bet is a 30" stove with single oven and stacked oven/microwave somewhere else in the kitchen that looks like a double oven.

Induction with double oven is about as expensive as you can get. Seems strange when you can buy single burner induction for $100 a burner, why is it a $1000 to 1500 upgrade on a stove? Marketing wank is my guess.

I haven't used one, but I suspect I would hate double ovens in a 30" range. Try to cook a turkey or put in something tall and neither oven is big enough. If you have one full size and one in the drawer, I find the drawer oven almost useless. Double ovens in a 60" range gives you two full size ovens so that works (although the space that beast takes up is excessive). If I really wanted double ovens, I think the best bet is a 30" stove with single oven and stacked oven/microwave somewhere else in the kitchen that looks like a double oven.
Both our families are thousands of kms away and there’s just the two of us here. The likelihood of me needing to cook massive birds is slim, more so since the wife is vegan. Just figured a double oven would give me an efficient use of space. I feel like the small part would be most used for broiling. There’s just been more than a few times where we needed to cook two things in an oven at different temps at the same time.

The Samsung one has a neat double hinged door and a divider so you can either have a double or larger single,oven. Might be worth looking at but I’m a bit wary of the brand for ranges and would only get it from Costco or somewhere I could easily return it if it’s a dud.

We've been on the list to have our driveway paved but it wasn't looking like it would get done this year. The company called me at 8am Wednesday morning asking if they could come out and prep the driveway in a few hours to have it ready to pave in the next week. Heck yes you can!

I often cook on a garland and hobart commercial range so I'm used to HOT fire, restaurant style cooking . I put a gas thermodor cooktop in this house for the BTU output and great burner shape (star shape) for even heat.
Induction is ok, I have one on the boat , but when every restaurant on the planet is on gas appliances , may be something there

Gas is the best when making sauces as you can use a thin copper pot and adjust the temperature quickly on the fly. Induction you still have the thermal mass of the steel plate. Old fashion coil still has thermal mass. Sauce is burned by the time things change. Restaurants also use gas a lot as they tend to use aluminum.... For most gas is not really going to be a game changer...

We have an old coil stove, they really last almost forever. The long term plan is a "dual fuel" or whatever they call them with gas cooktop and electric oven when I get around to kitchen reno. The big debate, 30 or 36 inch.... I don't mind splurging on the stove, other appliances simple is best IMO.

Gas is the best when making sauces as you can use a thin copper pot and adjust the temperature quickly on the fly. Induction you still have the thermal mass of the steel plate. Old fashion coil still has thermal mass. Sauce is burned by the time things change. Restaurants also use gas a lot as they tend to use aluminum.... For most gas is not really going to be a game changer...

We have an old coil stove, they really last almost forever. The long term plan is a "dual fuel" or whatever they call them with gas cooktop and electric oven when I get around to kitchen reno. The big debate, 30 or 36 inch.... I don't mind splurging on the stove, other appliances simple is best IMO.
Why dual fuel over straight gas? In the past I heard people preferred dual fuel. Current house came with straight gas and I have no real complaints. Oven warmup takes a while but it is similar to electric. Broiler is interesting as it is open flames rolling across the roof of the oven.

As for 30 vs 36, how long are you staying in the house and what snack bracket do you plan on marketing it to if you are leaving shortly? I think 36 to 60 are mostly a waste of space for day to day use but above a certain price people are now expecting big stove and huge fridge.

Why dual fuel over straight gas? In the past I heard people preferred dual fuel. Current house came with straight gas and I have no real complaints. Oven warmup takes a while but it is similar to electric. Broiler is interesting as it is open flames rolling across the roof of the oven.

As for 30 vs 36, how long are you staying in the house and what snack bracket do you plan on marketing it to if you are leaving shortly? I think 36 to 60 are mostly a waste of space for day to day use but above a certain price people are now expecting big stove and huge fridge.
I just don't see a need for gas in the oven and I like the idea of it being electric....just a feeling really.

We don't plan on leaving anytime soon, at least 15 to 20 years left here without a lottery win. Buyers in the area will have "expectations" but the kitchen is very small galley so it is again more for my use as it will likely get moved by the next owner. I find the 30" electric we have now to lack cooking surface space for big pots and pans.

Personally I would like to turn our dining room into a kitchen and the current kitchen into a proper butler's pantry (which would be a good fit for the area) but the wife is not onboard, she wants to keep the dining room as is. The dinning room also shares a non load bearing wall with the first floor family room. Not a big fan of all the butchering up the architecture of old homes/open concept stuff BS but that could work out and not seem out of place.

I just don't see a need for gas in the oven and I like the idea of it being electric....just a feeling really.

We don't plan on leaving anytime soon, at least 15 to 20 years left here without a lottery win. Buyers in the area will have "expectations" but the kitchen is very small galley so it is again more for my use as it will likely get moved by the next owner. I find the 30" electric we have now to lack cooking surface space for big pots and pans.

Personally I would like to turn our dining room into a kitchen and the current kitchen into a proper butler's pantry (which would be a good fit for the area) but the wife is not onboard, she wants to keep the dining room as is. The dinning room also shares a non load bearing wall with the first floor family room. Not a big fan of all the butchering up the architecture of old homes/open concept stuff BS but that could work out and not seem out of place.
We've been in this house almost three years and used the dining room maybe three times. It is ridiculously expensive space to never be used. It would be fun to turn it into an awesome pantry but I suspect the house would be hard to sell as people expect a dining room.

This talk of kitchens has me thinking…I need a new range. Say 2-4K. For 4K it needs to massage me sensually though. I’m thinking I’d like induction (seems to be the most efficient) and maybe a double oven. Any brands to stay away from? Samsung have a decent looking one but I’m wary of their name for large appliances. LG too but again, slightly wary even though I have an LG dishwasher which has been fine but not outstanding and also a couple of warranty service calls. Double oven worth it? I do a fair bit of cooking. Also would prefer a slide in although what’s there now is a free standing one with a traditional back control area. From what I’ve read some slide in’s come with kits to fill gaps and some don’t need it and some don’t come with them. Confusing at times.
Come look at mine next time you're in the area. Slide-in, induction, bottom "warming" oven actually goes up to a useable temperature for cooking. Give Pat a call and see what she says. Induction is nice if you have proper pots and pans for it. Otherwise it's not that efficient with regards to speed. We got Ingenio when they were on super discount and they work great. We'd like to replace the pans, but it doesn't seem like they're making them anymore.

Another project getting close to being done....

ESA electrical rough-in passed including new service and panel (all DIY on homeowner permit). I just need to install all the outlets, devices etc. (92 in total) and have hydro cut us over to the new service--after all that, final inspection.

Anyone looking to rewire a solid block/brick home, PM me, I came up with some good solutions to install interior outlets on the exterior walls etc.... would be glad to share.

I use an electric oven now , gas ovens are dry, electric heat moist and gas ovens 'cycle' on the temp a bit up/down.
40" gas 5 burner cook top, use the all at times. We use a mix of stainless pans, cast iron and copper pots depending on the job, i've used induction but love the gas on/off instant.

Another project getting close to being done....

ESA electrical rough-in passed including new service and panel (all DIY on homeowner permit). I just need to install all the outlets, devices etc. (92 in total) and have hydro cut us over to the new service--after all that, final inspection.

Anyone looking to rewire a solid block/brick home, PM me, I came up with some good solutions to install interior outlets on the exterior walls etc.... would be glad to share.
homeowner is allowed to install a new service? TIL. So did you install 100 (or 200) amp from a new meter base to new panel and there is currently an old 60 amp meter base connected to an old 60 amp panel? Provider will connect the wires in the meter base when you are ready?

Back
Top Bottom