Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 119 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

The ones I have seen held up. If I understand the process correctly, they sprinkle the surface with something that accelerates the set to trap the colours in. Normally you want it to set slowly not as quickly as possible.
I thought it was a two pour system. They pour the base just a little below the desired finished grade and when that is set they pour the thin cap and emboss the pattern sprinkling dyes and powders into the mix. A poor installer could mess that up but any time I worked on the stuff the bond seemed to be good.

The ones I have seen held up. If I understand the process correctly, they sprinkle the surface with something that accelerates the set to trap the colours in. Normally you want it to set slowly not as quickly as possible.
My stamped patio is 7 yrs old. Still as good as the day it was done.
The powder they sprikle is a release agent. Allows the pads to come off easy, like flour and baking.

I thought it was a two pour system. They pour the base just a little below the desired finished grade and when that is set they pour the thin cap and emboss the pattern sprinkling dyes and powders into the mix. A poor installer could mess that up but any time I worked on the stuff the bond seemed to be good.
No. They toss bags of dye in the cement truck. Driver then spins the piss out of it fot 10-15 minutes. Full colour mix in the crete is the end product.
At least that's how mine was done.

Has anyone ordered new furniture recently?

I mean quality stuff, not the Brick or Bad Boy or any of that junk. I say "junk", because our last 2 sectionals (including the one I'm sitting on right now) are that very junk and I'm tired of disposable stuff that lasts 4 or 5 years before looking cosmetically like total ****, but sagging, etc.

We are looking to completely re-do our living room and downsize from a giant sectional to a few comfy chairs and a small loveseat for guests. Surprise surprised, it seems furniture has joined the list of things that are massively delayed. Even made in Canada stuff. We've been told that Palliser is about 4 months at this point, and some stuff like La-Z-Boy is basically 12 months.

Ugh. I guess gone are the days of being able to just hit a furniture store and have your stuff a week or so later.
Stuff coming from overseas is apparently getting hit with shipping rate costs that have quadrupled.

No. They toss bags of dye in the cement truck. Driver then spins the piss out of it fot 10-15 minutes. Full colour mix in the crete is the end product.
The one I saw done was one pour of normal concrete with aggregate pushed down out of the top 3/4", then patterned and then colour was hand sprinkled, hardener sprinkled, then hose off extra. Seal a few days later.

The one I saw done was one pour of normal concrete with aggregate pushed down out of the top 3/4", then patterned and then colour was hand sprinkled, hardener sprinkled, then hose off extra. Seal a few days later.
Both correct. Colour thrown in to entire batch as a base colour. Sometimes hardener added to top to quicken process but doesn't affect durability. Add another colour by hand if design requires more than one colour in areas, sprinkle release agent and put design mold on top when hard enough to hold a persons weight, take off mold and spray two sealer coats. At least this is what I've been told.
We are just looking for a single colour throughout.

Got around to doing the rewire of the kitchen lights today.... Aluminum wire spliced to the knob & tube, the splice is buried somewhere in the wall as it does not come out anywhere. The hot is always live at the light, they switched the neutral! This was the switch location.

20211011_115922.jpg

Looking at the chain of title and the age of materials.... this was not Nancy, it was Nancy's dad....

Another thing that is getting old fast. In 1941 when the house was built they used saw dust as insulation. Joist cavities are full of it, everywhere! The first time I came across it I thought I had the worlds worst termite infestation.... Every light I touch it rains down from the ceiling. Could be worse, could be raining asbestos.... Best not to have a fire I guess.....

20211011_115328.jpg

20211011_111247.jpg

Got around to doing the rewire of the kitchen lights today.... Aluminum wire spliced to the knob & tube, the splice is buried somewhere in the wall as it does not come out anywhere. The hot is always live at the light, they switched the neutral! This was the switch location.

View attachment 51748

Looking at the chain of title and the age of materials.... this was not Nancy, it was Nancy's dad....

Another thing that is getting old fast. In 1941 when the house was built they used saw dust as insulation. Joist cavities are full of it, everywhere! The first time I came across it I thought I had the worlds worst termite infestation.... Every light I touch it rains down from the ceiling. Could be worse, could be raining asbestos.... Best not to have a fire I guess.....

View attachment 51749

View attachment 51750
Is it sawdust or vermiculite?

Agreed. Stamped doesn't hold up well. I watched my neighbour have it done, then watched it deteriorate, and finally be replaced.
If I wasn't too lazy to powerwash my concrete drive it would look just like it did the day they poured it.
3 on our street. 1 done just 2 years ago. All look like crap now. Good friend of mine does concrete. Him and brother own the company. I asked him if he would do patterned concrete for his own drive way. He said never. Vast majority don't hold up. Just drive around and look at some.

100% saw dust, hard to see from the pics but there is no doubt. No Vermiculite.
Makes me glad my parents had a prewar house. There was horsehair in the walls, but no sawdust.

Has anyone ordered new furniture recently?

I mean quality stuff, not the Brick or Bad Boy or any of that junk. I say "junk", because our last 2 sectionals (including the one I'm sitting on right now) are that very junk and I'm tired of disposable stuff that lasts 4 or 5 years before looking cosmetically like total ****, but sagging, etc.

We are looking to completely re-do our living room and downsize from a giant sectional to a few comfy chairs and a small loveseat for guests. Surprise surprised, it seems furniture has joined the list of things that are massively delayed. Even made in Canada stuff. We've been told that Palliser is about 4 months at this point, and some stuff like La-Z-Boy is basically 12 months.

Ugh. I guess gone are the days of being able to just hit a furniture store and have your stuff a week or so later.
We bought our living room furniture from LazyBoy (3 seat sofa, matching chair and single recliner). We went to a bunch of different places and were surprised to find that LazyBoy had the stuff we liked the best. We've been using them daily for 3 years and still like them like the day we bought them. They are super comfortable and I often fall asleep in them.

Back in 2018 it took 3 months to get ours delivered. 12 months now seems really long!

If you do get from LazyBoy, be mindful that their return policies are not that great - can be very expensive to return items.

We settled on two recliners and a love seat that we really liked and shopped around at a bunch of different retail places all the way from basically Pickering back to Oshawa.

On a whim last night when my wife wanted to show our final choices to a family member she googled the same models and, low and behold, found them on Wayfair for a total of about $3000 less than the best price we found at retail. They had some big mega weekend sale going on.

So, the credit card has a new dent, and the order is in. I feel a little bit bad doing the retail windowshopping thing only to end up ordering online, which wasn’t the original intention, but $3000 difference is just way too much to consider otherwise.

They are showing the same delivery times however, basically 12–16 weeks. I had an inquiry and ended up talking to a real person on the phone and he suggested that the recliners at least may be a little bit quicker but made no promises. It seems everybody with some spare Covid money right now is spending it on home improvement still.

We settled on two recliners and a love seat that we really liked and shopped around at a bunch of different retail places all the way from basically Pickering back to Oshawa.

On a whim last night when my wife wanted to show our final choices to a family member she googled the same models and, low and behold, found them on Wayfair for a total of about $3000 less than the best price we found at retail. They had some big mega weekend sale going on.

So, the credit card has a new dent, and the order is in. I feel a little bit bad doing the retail windowshopping thing only to end up ordering online, which wasn’t the original intention, but $3000 difference is just way too much to consider otherwise.

They are showing the same delivery times however, basically 12–16 weeks. I had an inquiry and ended up talking to a real person on the phone and he suggested that the recliners at least may be a little bit quicker but made no promises. It seems everybody with some spare Covid money right now is spending it on home improvement still.
I have a bit of a conscience issue with going on line after getting the info from brick and mortar stores but sometimes the difference is too much to ignore.

Unfortunately brick and mortar retail has ages of multilevel profit built into it.

Rent: Industrial space is a fraction of the rent of retail so shipping from a warehouse instead of a mall or storefront is cheaper.

Taxes on retail are higher.

Labour costs are higher on retail.

I recall a conversation with a guy that had a retail light fixture store on Mount Pleasant and his costs were over the moon with rent, taxes and labour.

Then his hydro bill was nuts because a light fixture looks dead when it's off but the heat build up with all the fixtures on needed air conditioning to keep the place from becoming a sauna.

You needed a large staff because people would walk out if not served in a minute or two. Staff had to have personality and knowledge unlike basic staff that just had to read labels.

To make brick and mortar work the greedy landlords have to drop rents but to do that the greedy developers need to drop their prices retroactively which means the pensioners that depend on XYZ development dividends for their incomes have to drop their retirement expectations.

Taxes: Do we cut the frills and make the city look dull or keep on frill spending. What's a frill?

Brick and mortar stores keep the city cores alive. How's downtown Detroit looking these days?

The work and shop from home is another side effect of Covid 19. We will know in a few years if the side effects are fatal.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding why it wouldn't hold up. It is concrete, and it's no thinner. We just require it for our front walkway which would be about 15-20ft long, average width walkway.
The guys that did my driveway wouldn't do stamped. They said it doesn't hold up because they lay in regular concrete then add a thin coloured layer over top. And because the thin layer needs to better or dryer (?) for stamping it makes that layer inherently weak. Or something to that effect.
My own experience bares that out. I've seen lots 100 year old abandonned structures and the concrete is fine. I've also seen lots of stamped concrete a decade or two old that is flaking and crappy.

3 on our street. 1 done just 2 years ago. All look like crap now. Good friend of mine does concrete. Him and brother own the company. I asked him if he would do patterned concrete for his own drive way. He said never. Vast majority don't hold up. Just drive around and look at some.
Exactly the guys that did my driveway and wouldn't do stamped were two of the most respected guys in town for concrete work. Sometimes it's a good idea to trust the pros.
Unless it's for medical advice. Then it's straight to social media.

have a bit of a conscience issue with going on line after getting the info from brick and mortar stores but sometimes the difference is too much to ignore.

Same. I just looked again and the difference was actually closer to $4000, actually.

As much as I feel for retail, they have to realize they can't compete so poorly and expect people to continue to shop there. We spent basically $7K online for the same stuff the sales lady in one store made us think was a "great deal" (because they had a no-tax sale) at $10,750.

Like, I'm already having an aneurism that we'd spend $10K on 3 pieces of F'n furniture, but to try to find out you were trying to bend me over at the same time is just a bit much.

Last edited:

View attachment 51748

View attachment 51749

View attachment 51750
I assume you had to know about the K & T but the aluminum came as a big surprise? I understand that a special coating or grease of some kind needs to be applied between copper and alum to prevent the corrosion between dissimilar metals. Will you be digging in to find out?
Reminds me about a story of a sleeping dog......

Back
Top Bottom