Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 175 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I love hardwood stairs , but I do like a runner on them , I’ve had too many accidental dismounts on hardwood stairs .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Looks nice but hard to spend more. In our last house, I swapped the carpet on the stairs for new berber to sell. Stairs had a 90 degree turn with pie shaped treads that tapered to zero. Dodgy even with carpet. New owner tore that out in under a year for hardwood and sold house for double two years later. I guess people like tobogganing down stairs and through a window.

We’ve been fortunate to date. Only one person rolled down the full stairway…my wife last year.

Kids have been pretty good with stairs so far.

Just waiting for new treads to be ready and I can continue.

We’ve been fortunate to date. Only one person rolled down the full stairway…my wife last year.

Kids have been pretty good with stairs so far.

Just waiting for new treads to be ready and I can continue.
Current house has a straight flight of hardwood stairs. Dodgy as. One hospital trip and a bunch of wipeouts so far. Only one person has been bitten by them more then once.

I love hardwood stairs , but I do like a runner on them , I’ve had too many accidental dismounts on hardwood stairs .

My dad doesn't bend his knees well so decending stairs is trouble. Same for my geriatric husky.

I bought some 6" clear antislip tape for treads off Amazon, works like a charm.

Had a chance to talk to a family on our street that had removed their chimney stack in the same layout that we have. They told me that there is a load bearing component in that wall so they removed it and reinforced the joist in the attic.

Shockingly It is showing cracks there. So if we want to remove the chimneys…not as simple as brick by brick.

Will have to get some stamped drawings for the work.

Anyone have a recommendation for drafting up kitchen plans? SketchUp?

M
Anyone have a recommendation for drafting up kitchen plans? SketchUp?
I use fusion. It wont be the most efficient. Whatever software you use start with hand sketches. If you are considering layouts, scaled paper appliances/cabinets slid around a graph paper layout let you try many arrangements in seconds. The same exercise in software would take hours.

We don't have runners on any of our high traffic areas and the finishes are showing the wear. Finishing isn't as easy as replacing a runner every once in a while.

The scar from the stitches on my forehead hides nicely between the eyebrows. Fortunately no detached retinas.

We don't have a runner on any of our high traffic areas and the finishes are showing the wear. Finishing isn't as easy as replacing a runner every once in a while.

The scar from the stitches on my forehead hides nicely between the eyebrows. Fortunately no detached retinas.
I used to get to hang out in an old mill and I would love if our stairs wore down like that. It can't happen though. Hundreds of trips a day up and down the dirty stairs by men wearing workboots over a century is a lot different beast than residential wear.

Current house has a straight flight of hardwood stairs. Dodgy as. One hospital trip and a bunch of wipeouts so far. Only one person has been bitten by them more then once.
Check the riser heights at the top and bottom. Only takes about 1/8" difference to throw you off your gait and cause a fall. More people die falling down stairs than in house fires.

I recently finished putting hardwood on my stairs both for the risers and the treads. I had to buy nosings but it was worth the cost and effort.

I used this video as my inspiration

Check the riser heights at the top and bottom. Only takes about 1/8" difference to throw you off your gait and cause a fall. More people die falling down stairs than in house fires.
Heights are fine. Wood is slightly slippery. Biggest issue is 2nd step has a slightly darker board as the lip. Bottom step and floor are closely matched in colour, texture, pattern, etc. Your eye thinks that darker line is the end of the staircase and down you go.

I used to get to hang out in an old mill and I would love if our stairs wore down like that. It can't happen though. Hundreds of trips a day up and down the dirty stairs by men wearing workboots over a century is a lot different beast than residential wear.
Some old downtown buildings have that patina on their stone steps. SE Corner of Bloor and Queen's Park is one, across from the ROM.

My stairs have hardwood on the risers, but carpet on the treads. Cost a bit extra in labour but you get the look of hardwood but no slip hazard. The grandkids love sliding down the carpet.

Well finally got the plug installed using the extension ring. Looks meh, but it works nice

p4IAzIz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom