Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 177 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Working on new shelves for the master bedroom. Nothing special but dad had some wood left over so cut them and planed them to size.

View attachment 53021
Hope you didnt cut them on that table. My dad didnt talk to me for a long time after I laughed at him for cutting something on top of a coffee table in the basement. Couldnt figure out why the saw was bogging down until he realized he was cutting through the table as well. I thought it was funny. He didnt. Neither did my mom.

Hope you didnt cut them on that table. My dad didnt talk to me for a long time after I laughed at him for cutting something on top of a coffee table in the basement. Couldnt figure out why the saw was bogging down until he realized he was cutting through the table as well. I thought it was funny. He didnt. Neither did my mom.
No. Not that ridiculous to cut on a granite table. Garage is super cold so I’m stuck doing the work inside. Dad has a whole shop at his place for this stuff.

Speaking of garage. It’s damn cold in there and my fridge / freezer combo isn’t cooling things properly. Is that normal? The standup freezer that’s rated to -20C or something is working great (it’s garage rated). But the fridge is not.

I know nothing about how fridges work but my guess would be its trying to maintain a 'not frozen' temp in the fridge part and its too cold to do that?? The standup freezer doesnt have a problem because the temp is already below what its set at???

Maybe if my dad had used a granite table it would have been a little more obvious. :)

No. Not that ridiculous to cut on a granite table. Garage is super cold so I’m stuck doing the work inside. Dad has a whole shop at his place for this stuff.

Speaking of garage. It’s damn cold in there and my fridge / freezer combo isn’t cooling things properly. Is that normal? The standup freezer that’s rated to -20C or something is working great (it’s garage rated). But the fridge is not.

Your fridge is supposed to keep things about 4C, if your garage is anything like mine it’s less than that in there. It’s working opposite the way it should be for heat transfer!

Well I found the point that’s rubbing….how the hell am I gonna fix this…

E64A9F14-AA48-4036-B119-E2C181FDB47A.jpeg

Had an interesting chat with the neighbour yesterday....

N: Did you notice that there are 2 layers of drywall in your bedroom?
MP: Yes....I did. What's up with that? Noticed it when the new 200A service was installed.
N: He called me over to help him lift drywall. Said the room was cold so he was insulating it.
MP: Ok.....
N: He said it doesn't make sense to take down the old drywall and just installed the new drywall atop the old. '2x the insulation as there are 2 layers'.

We laughed...I cried.

FU Kevin.

This same neighbour stripped his house, built an addition on his own, and insulated the walls with 2x4 thickness in one warm room, and 2x6 in the rest of the house. "I can light a match and heat up each room my house is so buttoned up."

? Did Kevin add any insulation or go drywall right on drywall?

I removed the strapping and plaster / sheetrock and replaced with 2X4s fiberglass, vapour barrier and 1/2" drywall. I lost 2" of floor space.

? Did Kevin add any insulation or go drywall right on drywall?

I removed the strapping and plaster / sheetrock and replaced with 2X4s fiberglass, vapour barrier and 1/2" drywall. I lost 2" of floor space.
Nope…Kevin literally stuck new drywall onto old drywall…..that’s it. That’s literally all he did. I’ve got a pic somewhere.

I havent seen a fridge/freezer than can heat. The warmest they can maintain is ambient temperature around them. I had to pull things out of the shed fridge a week ago as everything was slush.

Is the housing dented in or is the auger shaft bent/ shifted out of place.
I’m thinking the auger may have gotten bent when i hit some ice in the windrow and now it’s hitting. I’ll check the auger tomorrow. Not sure if it’s possible to straighten it out.

The housing looks to be in proper shape.

I’m thinking the auger may have gotten bent when i hit some ice in the windrow and now it’s hitting. I’ll check the auger tomorrow. Not sure if it’s possible to straighten it out.

Is there a chance a blade on the auger got bent hitting the ice? Brute force and a big adjustable wrench could bend it back. Add blacksmith to your resume.

Is there any play in the bearings or their fastenings?

Speaking of garage. It’s damn cold in there and my fridge / freezer combo isn’t cooling things properly. Is that normal?
Fairly common. The fridge wants to maintain the temperature around 4 as previously stated. If the temperature is sensed to be less than 4, it just doesn't turn on. The fridge control is what also cools the freezer, so that also doesn't get cooling, but it slowly warms up to ambient, maybe +2 and everything thaws out. I've been having this discussion with my brother every fall at the unheated cottage. Don't leave anything in the freezer as it will melt and drip everywhere, or go rotten. He also leaves drinks in the beer fridge outside thinking they won't freeze as it should only be +4. I'm done with cleaning his messes up.

Is there a chance a blade on the auger got bent hitting the ice? Brute force and a big adjustable wrench could bend it back. Add blacksmith to your resume.

Is there any play in the bearings or their fastenings?
I'll have to check later, but I think it hit ice, and the combination of heavy snow + friction from the housing is causing the shear pins to snap.

I'll play around with it, but if I can't get it straightened out I'll give up on it lol. Hopefully we don't get a lot more snow as I don't feel like hand bombing my entire driveway.

For a fridge in a garage. Most unheated garages never actually get down to the outside ambient temperature around here. It feels damn cold (as you expect warmer, sort of like apply brakes that do not work it feels like you sped up...) but even over short bursts of uber cold temps like today the garage is likely not far off zero unless it is full of holes. Attached will be better than detached of course, sun load etc.. The fridge is pretty insulated so its internal temp will likely be OK over short periods it just stops running. BTW if you are worried about it modify the fridge to have a incandescent light on a thermostat that will keep the fridge portion above freezing.... people store paint like this in sheds etc. Just make sure the bulb and the cooling are not fighting each other....

From an engineering perspective there is no reason a fridge could not act as a heat pump internally if a manufacturer designed it that way... to be deployed in cold temps.

The freezer we bought is rated for 'garage use', whatever that means. The fridge is a standard one.

We're considering to move it into the house, but as you mention @backmarkerducati the garage is maintained around 0-2C typically. I know there's a small air leak around the door so need to work on that. But outside of that, I expect the fridge to work properly once the temps go up. Everything that was still cold was moved to the garage rated freezer.

Back
Top Bottom