3. Doug stops, looks at the speaker, looks across at the member
  4. Speaker rises
  5. Doug takes his seat
  6. Speaker says NDP member will apologize
  7. NDP Member apologizes
  8. Speaker allows Doug to continue
  9. Doug says "never heard language like that before in the House, never."
  10. Transition to daily news briefing
  11. Doug repeats how he's never heard language like that before in 200+ sittings of the House. Goes on to say he's never heard language like that in over 200 sittings of the House
  12. Transition to NDP Leader Horvath
  13. Horvath goes on to say she was very surprised to hear language like that in the house. Hopes they can get back to the job of keeping the Ontario government accountable for failing at Covid situation
  14. Roll Credits
Another link;

Last edited:
I found an article. It took a bit of looking. A lot of the major news outlets have whitewashed their original stories.

404s. 404s everywhere.
Just for you! I grabbed a screenshot.
PCknIN1h.png

1. Queue Doug responding to NDP in the House
  2. NDP member calls out *BEEP*
  3. Doug stops, looks at the speaker, looks across at the member
  4. Speaker rises
  5. Doug takes his seat
  6. Speaker says NDP member will apologize
  7. NDP Member apologizes
  8. Speaker allows Doug to continue
  9. Doug says "never heard language like that before in the House, never."
  10. Transition to daily news briefing
  11. Doug repeats how he's never heard language like that before in 200+ sittings of the House. Goes on to say he's never heard language like that in over 200 sittings of the House
  12. Transition to NDP Leader Horvath
  13. Horvath goes on to say she was very surprised to hear language like that in the house. Hopes they can get back to the job of keeping the Ontario government accountable for failing at Covid situation
  14. Roll Credits
Another link;

Speaker said withdraw, not apologize, and that's what happened, when I heard it.

There needs to be a little more public shaming for the NDP on this, I dont know what sparked it, its not the worst thing to happen, but there should be zero tolerance.

Doug handled it just like I imagined he would, water off a duck, lets move on. I've never expected to type Dougs a class act, but he again surprises me.

There needs to be a little more public shaming for the NDP on this, I dont know what sparked it, its not the worst thing to happen, but there should be zero tolerance.

Doug handled it just like I imagined he would, water off a duck, lets move on. I've never expected to type Dougs a class act, but he again surprises me.
The mpp that was wrong had released a report that morning on something they were angry at douggie for. They were probably already riled up. Not excusing the behaviour in the least but if you go to work ready to fight, normally you get in a fight.

Just for you! I grabbed a screenshot.
PCknIN1h.png

Speaker said withdraw, not apologize, and that's what happened, when I heard it.
You're correct, but withdraw in the context of the remark not the chamber. Didnt want to confuse anyone.

In retrospect they are not the same thing so ill take an L on that one.

Douggie is pushing JT to keep the border closed past July 21.

Good going Douggie!
But, JT will have to ask permission from the orange one before he does anything or else there's be a tantrum!Trump Tantrum.gif

Good going Douggie!
But, JT will have to ask permission from the orange one before he does anything or else there's be a tantrum!View attachment 43764
It's probably too early for deciding whether to open or close on july 21 but it was a good tactical play by douggie. If JT bowed to the orange one, he would write off douggies head exploding as douggie not being cooperative. With douggie going first, it is really hard for JT to open the border without looking like an idiot.

As an aside, if JT opens the border before douggie is ready I could see him setting up OPP checkpoints just inside the border. We cant control the border but once you are in the province, if the road to freedom is closed, I guess you are going back.

Good going Douggie!
But, JT will have to ask permission from the orange one before he does anything or else there's be a tantrum!View attachment 43764

JT knows how to play Trump. The border will remain closed "to protect Americans" the way Trump sees it and that's the way he will sell it to the American public. Of course, the real reason is to protect Canadians from infected Americans.

I'm pretty sure that most people within the US administration know that they have a problem that no one else wants.

JT knows how to play Trump. The border will remain closed "to protect Americans" the way Trump sees it and that's the way he will sell it to the American public. Of course, the real reason is to protect Canadians from infected Americans.

I'm pretty sure that most people within the US administration know that they have a problem that no one else wants.
You missed the sarcastic air quotes around that first sentence. The only time JT MAY know how to play trump, is if the game is bridge, and I'm not too sure about that either. JT is very good at getting on Trump's bad side, and being sent to the kid's table, while the adults talk. Remember the open mike faux pas? The Free Trade deal fiasco? The two guys jailed in China?

I'm no fan of JT but I stand by my statement about how the border closure will be handled.

"Free Trade deal fiasco"? What fiasco? New NAFTA will have very little real world change from the old one, and from our perspective, that is fine. The USA wanted to eliminate the dispute resolution mechanism. It's still there, and that is a very big deal, because the Americans are the ones to violate it (e.g. the aluminum tariffs about to be re-imposed). The USA wanted free reign to completely destroy our dairy farmers. YES we had to give some ground - but not much.

"The two guys jailed in China"? And what, pray tell, should we do about it now? JT's statement today, that if we swap prisoners (which is what China wants), then China - and others - will know that if they need to coax us into doing something, all they have to do is arrest a few Canadian citizens under false pretences and hold them hostage for a year or two until we cave. In the long term, that's bad. I have ALWAYS thought, from day one when it happened, that the Canadian police (RCMP? CBSA? don't recall which branch it was that actually arrested her) should have been "unable to establish and find the correct departure gate until after the plane had left" thus leaving the Americans to sort out their own issues with that and leaving us out of it. But that opportunity to stay out of this has long since passed.

I'm no fan of JT but I stand by my statement about how the border closure will be handled.
I have ALWAYS thought, from day one when it happened, that the Canadian police (RCMP? CBSA? don't recall which branch it was that actually arrested her) should have been "unable to establish and find the correct departure gate until after the plane had left" thus leaving the Americans to sort out their own issues with that and leaving us out of it. But that opportunity to stay out of this has long since passed.

Canadians have a knack for doing the right thing, with the wrong results. I agree this was our problem to create, could have 'not been there in time' , but I'll also wager there is a whole bunch of politics behind this we dont know about. We get whats released to the media.

"Free Trade deal fiasco"? What fiasco? New NAFTA will have very little real world change from the old one, and from our perspective, that is fine. The USA wanted to eliminate the dispute resolution mechanism. It's still there, and that is a very big deal, because the Americans are the ones to violate it (e.g. the aluminum tariffs about to be re-imposed). The USA wanted free reign to completely destroy our dairy farmers. YES we had to give some ground - but not much.

"The two guys jailed in China"? And what, pray tell, should we do about it now? JT's statement today, that if we swap prisoners (which is what China wants), then China - and others - will know that if they need to coax us into doing something, all they have to do is arrest a few Canadian citizens under false pretences and hold them hostage for a year or two until we cave. In the long term, that's bad. I have ALWAYS thought, from day one when it happened, that the Canadian police (RCMP? CBSA? don't recall which branch it was that actually arrested her) should have been "unable to establish and find the correct departure gate until after the plane had left" thus leaving the Americans to sort out their own issues with that and leaving us out of it. But that opportunity to stay out of this has long since passed.
Personally I don't like farm quota systems. A gallon of milk cost 40% more in Canada, a whole chicken 50% more (reference: walmart.ca vs walmart.com). Why? Farm subsidies that are passed along to consumers.

Farm subsidies unfairly impact the poorest, a family of 4 pays about $450/year above market prices for basic food items that are supply managed. If you make $100K a year this isn't going to impact you much. If your family income is $40K a year, that's a couple of weeks worth of groceries.

Then consider the principle of monopoly vs free market. Why should dairy and poultry farmers be guaranteed handsome profits? A 1 man chicken operation that produces 20K birds every 9 weeks has a guaranteed profit of 170-200K/year - that's with a very generous costing scheme. Next time you pass a chicken or dairy farm, look at the property, look at the vehicles parked there -- it's not the kind of job I'd like but it is a pretty sweet deal if you hav.

Personally I don't like farm quota systems. A gallon of milk cost 40% more in Canada, a whole chicken 50% more (reference: walmart.ca vs walmart.com). Why? Farm subsidies that are passed along to consumers.

Farm subsidies unfairly impact the poorest, a family of 4 pays about $450/year above market prices for basic food items that are supply managed. If you make $100K a year this isn't going to impact you much. If your family income is $40K a year, that's a couple of weeks worth of groceries.

Then consider the principle of monopoly vs free market. Why should dairy and poultry farmers be guaranteed handsome profits? A 1 man chicken operation that produces 20K birds every 9 weeks has a guaranteed profit of 170-200K/year - that's with a very generous costing scheme. Next time you pass a chicken or dairy farm, look at the property, look at the vehicles parked there -- it's not the kind of job I'd like but it is a pretty sweet deal if you hav.
Hopefully they are saving along the way and not counting on selling their allocation to fund their retirement. They should learn from taxi drivers that given enough time the market will find a way to make your ticket at the monopoly table worthless.

Hopefully they are saving along the way and not counting on selling their allocation to fund their retirement. They should learn from taxi drivers that given enough time the market will find a way to make your ticket at the monopoly table worthless.
No gov't has been willing to tackle the farm lobby, I can't see this changing anytime soon.

No gov't has been willing to tackle the farm lobby, I can't see this changing anytime soon.
They didn't tackle taxis either, they were just unwilling or incapable of keeping a competitor out of the picture. I know Kraft moved "Jello" across the border for a very long time which was railcars of sugar (which should catch a tariff) with a packet of gelatin thrown on top (no tariff for Jello). Given the price arbitrage, we are just waiting on an enterprising soul (or shudder tech company) to find and exploit a similar farm loophole.

Would it be better if they were below the poverty line like the is system? Where the big companies own the chickens and pay you a pittance to raise them, or you produce milk at a loss?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom