Doug Ford - has your opinion changed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Doug Ford - has your opinion changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Mike

I voted for him last election mostly along party principles, I didn't hold out high hopes on leadership -- not because I thought he lacked leadership ability, more because he had no history to calibrate leading at the level of a Premier.

They say in hard times "when the going gets tough..." I don't want to sound like a partisan or Dougie fanboy, but I am impressed with how he is leading thru this crisis. He's been very present and transparent, demonstrating the practices that scientists and doctors are asking us to observe, he's opened the purse for necessity and priority items, an I think he's showing a lot of empathy for the people of the province. I like the can-do attitude and forward 'never again' commitments to home grown solutions too.

So, a simple question: Has your opinion of Doug Ford changed in the last month? If so, what do you like/dislike?

He certainly seems to be doing a better job than JT hiding in his home and grooming his beard everyday

but he also gutted paid sick leave(open for business act?)

No ones perfect I suppose

Last edited:
He's doing a great job, imo.

The man exhibits empathy towards the people, and it isn't forced like that other guy who speaks so moistly.

You can see it in his eyes and and hear it in his voice that he truly cares and wants to do the best he can for his province.

In terms of his entire period of being the premier, mixed bag, but in terms of handling this crisis ... he has been handling it well.

I don't get the criticism for Trudeau, either. He has been diplomatic when necessary, he has spoken forcefully when appropriate, he has done self-isolation as recommended for other Canadians, he is not on stage with a bunch of other people NOT social-distancing. YES, early on, the government as a whole made some mistakes, but they are on the same page now.

I was not a Ford fan at all but since he made a hard turn after his march break comments he has done a great job. Trudeau is also doing a good job leading by example and being visible also managing the one with tact and not leading to a trade war.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

He certainly seems to be doing a better job than JT hiding in his home and grooming his beard everyday

but he also gutted paid sick leave(open for business act?)
I don't think he gutted Bill 148. The roll backs were things Wynne threw into her 'hail mary' re-election package - they benefited public service and large unions however they overall put the hurt on employees and small businesses. I don't think there is any argument that stuff needed to change, the were liberals killed more jobs decent jobs than they made as businesses closed or moved or altered the way they did things under her rules.

I concur that he is doing very well in this crisis. I think the true test will be on the backside. That will be a much harder role. He opened up the vault but there needs to be some form of reckoning to try to start rebuilding the war chest. Getting cuts to happen in appropriate locations is a much harder fight.

Hopefully this mess has opened some minds as to what is easily achievable but was just blocked by stupid policy and/or obstinate behaviour (like remote doctor visits to take care of the majority of issues instead of wasting half a day to sit in a room full of sick people to get a prescription refill). There is a chance, Douggie can continue on his winning streak by getting some of these low-hanging fruit policies permanently implemented.

He's doing a great job, imo.

The man exhibits empathy towards the people, and it isn't forced like that other guy who speaks so moistly.

You can see it in his eyes and and hear it in his voice that he truly cares and wants to do the best he can for his province.

Yep. He's being a proper leader, unwavering and genuine (when he stops reading the teleprompter.) I did not vote for him but I'm impressed with his behavior here. One hell of a mess he has to deal with.

I was not a Ford fan at all but since he made a hard turn after his march break comments he has done a great job. Trudeau is also doing a good job leading by example and being visible also managing the one with tact and not leading to a trade war.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
I pretty impressed that JT has resisted his fetish for costume during this crisis. I half expected to see him delivering his press briefings dressed up in scrubs, gloves and an N95.

Hes def doing better than I expected tbh

For this issue he’s been (surprisingly to me) very competent. He’s handled this exactly as he should, which is apolitically. He’s understood the dangers and reacted accordingly and following the advice of recognized experts.

For the record, I think the feds are doing very well too. Handling Trumps tantrums with respect to masks etc is not easy and it looks like they have some polished diplomacy working in that area.

Voted for him just because I hated the lib,s so much. Wasn’t expecting much and that’s what was happening. I think he is listening to his people or the right people now and is doing a decent job. See what happens at the end of his term.

proving to be a good crisis manager- and that's no small thing
I agree. I've worked in fairly large companies that have seen through trying times, the hallmark of a great people leader is one who is resilient in times like this. I know HR execs around the world are giddy about doing resilience evaluations on managers once we exit this crisis -- something they learn in school but rarely have the chance to evaluate in real life. If you lead people, you better be stepping up and leading right now, otherwise the corporate escalator will only working in the down from here on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom