Doug Ford - has your opinion changed? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Doug Ford - has your opinion changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The USA is the one with the farm subsidies ... that's why milk etc is sold so cheaply there, it is essentially being dumped in order for the farmers to make their real money from the farm subsidy. Essentially taxpayers are paying for the cheap groceries. That makes NO sense. Our milk marketing board system is not subsidized ... but it relies on quotas and tariffs (on imported production as well) to avoid having foreign producers (e.g. the USA) dump excess production on our market. American farmers would LOVE to dump that excess production in our market!

The USA kept their farm subsidies ... we kept our milk marketing board ... the quota and tariff numbers were juggled a little bit to placate the Americans ... but in the big picture, nothing changes all that much.

Would it be better if they were below the poverty line like the is system? Where the big companies own the chickens and pay you a pittance to raise them, or you produce milk at a loss?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Ok, so what's the difference between producing dairy/chicken and soy beans or corn? Or cars or widgets?

My points are are: 1) poor folks bear a heavy burden while they enrich wealthy farmers 2) Explain what makes them special enough to be guaranteed profit -- something every farmer and business person would enjoy.

The USA is the one with the farm subsidies ... that's why milk etc is sold so cheaply there, it is essentially being dumped in order for the farmers to make their real money from the farm subsidy. Essentially taxpayers are paying for the cheap groceries. That makes NO sense. Our milk marketing board system is not subsidized ... but it relies on quotas and tariffs (on imported production as well) to avoid having foreign producers (e.g. the USA) dump excess production on our market. American farmers would LOVE to dump that excess production in our market!

The USA kept their farm subsidies ... we kept our milk marketing board ... the quota and tariff numbers were juggled a little bit to placate the Americans ... but in the big picture, nothing changes all that much.
Our system is certainly subsidized! It's just done differently, part comes from federal and provincial Ag programs, but a giant part gets paid by consumers -- that 40-50% you pay over and above what you would pay south of the border is a subsidy, it's managed by restricting supply and guaranteeing prices to ensure hefty profits for farmers. .

Our system is certainly subsidized! It's just done differently, part comes from federal and provincial Ag programs, but a giant part gets paid by consumers -- that 40-50% you pay over and above what you would pay south of the border is a subsidy, it's managed by restricting supply and guaranteeing prices to ensure hefty profits for farmers. .
And driving demand by requiring ethanol content and . . .

It is an interesting conundrum. The last I looked in to it, farmland in California was six to eight times as productive as in ontario primarily due to a 12 month growing cycle. It is cheaper to buy food at their lower cost and pay for shipping than grow it here. Obviously if the border slams shut that's an issue.

On a related note, I am entertained by the number of people that have planted vegetable gardens. I'm especially entertained by the ones that have never done it before. I am excited for the week when they have 20 lettuce plants mature. At least if you focused on cucumbers, peas and peppers you have a decent way to preserve it. Hell, even kale can be frozen for smoothies with some work, lettuce does not give you many options.

And driving demand by requiring ethanol content and . . .

It is an interesting conundrum. The last I looked in to it, farmland in California was six to eight times as productive as in ontario primarily due to a 12 month growing cycle. It is cheaper to buy food at their lower cost and pay for shipping than grow it here. Obviously if the border slams shut that's an issue.

On a related note, I am entertained by the number of people that have planted vegetable gardens. I'm especially entertained by the ones that have never done it before. I am excited for the week when they have 20 lettuce plants mature. At least if you focused on cucumbers, peas and peppers you have a decent way to preserve it. Hell, even kale can be frozen for smoothies with some work, lettuce does not give you many options.
Make smoothies from lettuce and freeze the smoothie! In a home garden the best way to harvest lettuce is a continuous pick. The plants will give the equivalent of 3 or more crops. My 20 lettuce get harvested daily, the have been feeding 4 daily for a month, the will go another month.

Or buy some rabbits — They convert spare lettuce to protein very quickly.

Make smoothies from lettuce and freeze the smoothie! In a home garden the best way to harvest lettuce is a continuous pick. The plants will give the equivalent of 3 or more crops. My 20 lettuce get harvested daily, the have been feeding 4 daily for a month, the will go another month.

Or buy some rabbits — They convert spare lettuce to protein very quickly.
My god, I havent seen city folk growing rabbits yet, that is a whole new level of hilarity. They will be happy with the cute hopping stage, much less happy with the bleeding skinning stage.

"It’s water off a duck’s back Water off a Duck's back... I forgive the guy. Let's just move on, " I love the response.

Ford was a dubious but necessary choice in the last election. I had low expectations however considering how well Ontario did compared to our populated neighbours (QC, NY and MI), he has led the province to far better outcomes than.

He is starting to exceed my expectations.

He's moving on because everyone in the building knows the NDP guy likes the bottle, just saying lol

My god, I havent seen city folk growing rabbits yet, that is a whole new level of hilarity. They will be happy with the cute hopping stage, much less happy with the bleeding skinning stage.

You put them in a box and drop them off at the processor. Then in 24hrs you go collect Mr Bunny in a vaccuum bag ready to go. Even the hill billies dont do it at home anymore.
My mom can eviserate a chicken in about 3 mins, but we dont do that at home anymore either.

city folk........

Douggie announced that it is up to JT to bail out municipalities. I haven't heard if other provinces have publicly voiced an opinion.

From what I have seen, most municipalities did an absolute crap job of quickly scaling back (eg. toronto told everyone to go home and continued to pay them full wages for months even though many could do no work (eg. parks department etc).)) I still think there may be a special law passed allowing municipalities to assume this debt and spread it over a reasonable timeframe so each municipality is in a clear feedback loop that bad choices have long-term consequences. There is a high possibility we end up in a similar situation again and we need people to learn from the first time, not just run to the piggy bank for unlimited funds.

i like what doug ford has been doing, but the health minister of ltc seems like a slimy piece of work. every time time she steps to the mic you can almost here the crap vomiting out of her

i like what doug ford has been doing, but the health minister of ltc seems like a slimy piece of work. every time time she steps to the mic you can almost here the crap vomiting out of her
Is it because she's a doctor and not a lawyer? You have any specifics?
I imagine they're tiptoeing around anything that happened in the old age homes.

Is this a difference between the Provincials and the Feds?

Is it because she's a doctor and not a lawyer? You have any specifics?
I imagine they're tiptoeing around anything that happened in the old age homes.

she's been involved with LTC for over 30yrs, she knew what was going on but yet chose to ignore it. then step up to the mic and pretend that all the good work we done and all the good work we are doing just don't in my mind cut it

she's been involved with LTC for over 30yrs, she knew what was going on but yet chose to ignore it. then step up to the mic and pretend that all the good work we done and all the good work we are doing just don't in my mind cut it
As far as I know, she may have worked in LTC 30 yrs ago, but she's had a private practice out of a walk-in clinic for most of that time.
In what capacity was she in LTC? Did she pad her CV?
Merrilee Fullerton - Wikipedia

I myself have wondered why Doogie didn't fire her a*s as soon as the military opened the lid on this can of worms. Whether you are qualified or not for the job of Minister of Long Term Care, you need to be diligently looking into things on your own from day one of your appointment as Minister! That applies to any job in the public or private sector. She clearly didn't do that, preferring to skate along with minimal effort relying on underlings, who'd likely been there for a very long time, to keep everything running smoothly. Clearly she never imagined a pandemic would upset her apple cart. Only now she's beating the "let's fix it" drum??

get a goat

it will happily convert your excess garden stuffs to protein
and your lawn, and your neighbor's lawns

funny as heck too when you come home and it's on the garage roof
they also have about zero personality so it's not hard to put them in the freezer

jf2gdxS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom