Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 220 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

This is pretty impressive:

TL : DR The brakes are not up to the task (but this one did not have the performance-upgrade package from Tesla), the steering is too sensitive, the seats aren't supportive enough, and the suspension is too high and too soft for racetrack usage. But ... Pick any ordinary normal car, put it on the racetrack, and you're going to find that sort of thing (and, typically, much more. Very few normal street cars will put up with racetrack usage). The performance is there. Kept up with some sports cars, even with the overheated brakes.

Another canoo video. Having it entirely drive by wire makes for cool packaging as you can place the driver anywhere on the vehicle (flying bridge for sunny days?). I am sure the steering feel is absolutely horrendous as there is no physical connection between the tires and steering wheel.

Fully drive-by-wire does not conform to motor vehicle safety standards. The steering and the brakes, in particular, require a mechanical ("hydraulic" for brakes, = "mechanical") connection.

The new C8 Corvette has an interesting take on brake-by-wire. They've combined the master cylinder, vacuum booster + pump, and Ebrake into a single unit marketed as "E-boost". The brake pedal is still connected to the "master cylinder" and capable of building pressure if the electronics fail. Under normal use the car is just measuring the pedal travel to determine how much pressure the electric pump should be generating. You can (apparently) start boiling brake fluid without losing braking power - the pump does not have a hard stop and will compensate for the compressible gas. whereas in a traditional car you would run out of pedal travel before you could build enough pressure.

Good explanation:

^ Evidently the above problem was due to a loose/unplugged electrical connector, and is now sorted. Shouldn't have happened to begin with and shouldn't have taken three tries to fix it, but whatever, it's fixed.

Going to revisit this thread...one of my considerations is going back to a Volt (Gen2 this time) as I enjoyed it lots. I'm slowly moving away from the BMW 2 series and the Volt was a great car in addition to the motorcycle. Need to start reading again.

Going to revisit this thread...one of my considerations is going back to a Volt (Gen2 this time) as I enjoyed it lots. I'm slowly moving away from the BMW 2 series and the Volt was a great car in addition to the motorcycle. Need to start reading again.
We still love our gen2 volt no issues at all since new. Haven't bought gas since March.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

We still love our gen2 volt no issues at all since new. Haven't bought gas since March.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
I've got a few buddies with the Gen2....all bought on my recommendation and all of them love the car. Gen1 hasn't really dropped in price, but I'd consider one of those as well if I find a good enough deal.

I’ve got a 2018 Volt and still really happy with it at 60k. Barely ever buy gas and I find it pretty comfortable and enjoyable for driving.

Still loving my 2017 Volt Premier as well - gas up once a year. Having a sensible daily (esp one that uses virtually no fuel) and a toy for special occasions/smile factor is the way to go IMO.

Still loving my 2017 Volt Premier as well - gas up once a year. Having a sensible daily (esp one that uses virtually no fuel) and a toy for special occasions/smile factor is the way to go IMO.
This is what I'm thinking of going. The sensible daily doesn't need to be anything fancy as my ride is from home to the GO station (about 20-25min walk) but winter will suck majorly. The toy is the decision of MX-5 / 128 / motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom