2021 Day Trips! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Day Trips!

Yesterday's ride, around CFB Borden. Got this idea from a FB group, it turned out to be more interesting then I thought it would be. Just cool to see the planes. They were also letting off some explosives someplace on the base, which was a little freaky to hear and see windows shake when we were not even close.

Also hit up Hockley Rd and Mono Centre Rd going there, lots of bikes! (y)

may 14 d map.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg
IMG_4610.jpg
IMG_4615.jpg

10 minutes from home. Years ago, guards were posted at entrances. I don't think they are anymore.

Drove into Borden once accidentally. Within a few min had blue flashing lights behind me asking wtf I was going there. I (honestly) replied that I was looking to get to the 400 and lost my way. They turned me around the led me to the exit.

Will make sure to go there soon for a ride as it’s not far from cottage.

Spent time there as an Army Cadet in the 70's. Shooting old enfields and newer FN's. The mess halls were great. Surprised more troops wern't porky.

Did two short rides over the weekend: one west to Burlington area and north (with a colleague and his neighbor):

The one west was a solo trip and I didn't really plan much. Just picked out places on the map and set out: Governors road, Sulphur Springs, Snake Road, and back home

Screenshot 2021-05-16 190123.jpg

The second one where I had company, we went to Franklin Beach - cruised around on the Lake Dr and back. Not a long ride by any means but was fun to be out and the weather was nice. The clip-on handlebars and the riding position are somethings I'll need more time to get adjusted to. 200 kms and my knees started hurting on the way back.

Screenshot 2021-05-16 190731.jpg

Lots of motorcycles out there, which was great!

Post up your day trips taken in 2021 - routes and photos and more!

Decided to check out the northern Muskoka roads. It was a beautiful day out and I've never been on the 518 or Bunny Trail so early in the season before. Some of the roads were pretty sandy, but others were as clean as a mid-summer day.
Route: ended up being around 850km by the time we got back - left at 6:30am and got back home at 5pm.
View attachment 48060

Too busy riding to take a lot of pictures - this one is just at the southern end of the Bunny Trail with a DL650 and GSX-1000F
2021041214355942-6082972708110912133-IMG_6748.jpg

Safe Travels!
Thanks to @shanekingsley - I did my own version of this route as my first summer ride. Loved the surprises on the LorimerLakeRd/BunnyTrail. Forgot how much I hated HWY400 due to the wind factor. Had to battle the wind tiring me a lot on the return.
Almost ran into edge of the road on a corner - luckily the 300cc is forgiving so escaped :D

vlc-record-2021-05-16-19h26m40s-GH010068.MP4- (video loop)
(not sure what happened, I have a feeling I looked at the gravel and there I was )

Last edited:
Great ride today, with @shanekingsley and Sid. Fast paced (given the circumstances - was drizzling for the most part) fun.

This was the route (+GTA to Barrie & back)

View attachment 48937

Spent majority of the time riding, thus all I have is a grand total of 1 pic!!

View attachment 48938

Thanks for the wonderful company guys!🙂
Good ride yesterday indeed! There was defintely some pretty nice scenery we saw that would have made for some awesome pics - especially parts of Lorimer Lake Road I really liked.

That was also the first time I've ever been attacked by a dog on a ride. I've had many run out and bark at me and some even chase me for a bit (especially in the states), but never had a dog actually charge me and make contact with my boot and the bike. And then to have such a close call with a pretty big deer shortly after - not the closest encounter I've had, but still too close for comfort. And then got stabbed in my eye from some bug, which has now caused my eyelid to swell up pretty nice. And it wasn't even supposed to rain that much!

Weird ride for animals and weather, but great all the same when you're with smooth and competent riders.
Looking forward to the next one.

Good ride yesterday indeed! There was defintely some pretty nice scenery we saw that would have made for some awesome pics - especially parts of Lorimer Lake Road I really liked.

That was also the first time I've ever been attacked by a dog on a ride. I've had many run out and bark at me and some even chase me for a bit (especially in the states), but never had a dog actually charge me and make contact with my boot and the bike. And then to have such a close call with a pretty big deer shortly after - not the closest encounter I've had, but still too close for comfort. And then got stabbed in my eye from some bug, which has now caused my eyelid to swell up pretty nice. And it wasn't even supposed to rain that much!

Weird ride for animals and weather, but great all the same when you're with smooth and competent riders.

First the dog, then the deer, now the eye! An easier way to look at this is that luck was on your side.

Hope your eye gets better soon!

I’m just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit and I need to get some riding in up here. Might go for some exploratory gravel to get a feel for that type of riding and hit up Simcoe Forest tomorrow as weather is supposed to be nicer.

Yikkies well they say things come in 3's, you got yours outta the way at least ...😬:(

Still need to make it out to McDougal/Hurdville and Bunny Trail
How bad was Southwood?
The bottom half has been recently paved, I think in sections over the last few years.

The top half didn’t have much sand, but the surface quality is getting a bit worse with the bumps and potholes. Maybe a few more rains will help it. We rode it northward, so maybe riding it southbound wouldn’t be as bad. Either way, when it finally gets repaved that road will be great again.

Had a chance to run the CB500X through some diff terrain yesterday...entered Simcoe County Forests in a few spots....

- paved road - awesome
- gravel road - great. Squiggly but good, and my first time so need to get more comfortable
- sand - mother effer was that a nail biter. Ran along Allenwood Beach and got through. Entered a trail after an ATV and ended up getting stuck and digging the back end in. Luckily was able to pull it out solo and get out
- entered in another spot and was all good until the rocks started. Once got in there was alright so long as I kept going. Got deeper and saw heavy mud and water, asked some ATVs coming towards me and they told me I’ll never make it through.

Turned around, saw a car that was in the ditch an hour earlier on a tow truck with OPP around, and then went to the cottage and had a beer.

3EF2FF82-5361-4C69-9FAC-2ACF1C77721B.jpeg
ACC40875-C152-4838-9529-E56C11134294.jpeg

Today going to ride Route 19 near Blue Mountains as it was a nice ride in the car for a hike, but will be better on a bike and then maybe hit up 13 and top of Blue once it warms up.

Back
Top Bottom