2021 Day Trips! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Day Trips!

Z900 and I survived hail, rain, more hail and wet mucky conditions on the 401 so I could get me some donuts

I also went by to Zets, it has gotten pricey....

^ wifey didnt want wet donuts and refused to sit on the back so she decided to drive lol
Beauty bike, love the blue!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Quick boot down to Osoyoos, near the US border:

DSCN2040-X2.jpg

Anarchist Pass:

DSCN2057-X2.jpg

DSCN2061-X2.jpg

Anarchist Lookout:

DSCN2075-X2.jpg

Looking over lake Osoyoos, hairpin road is the bottom of Anarchist Pass:

DSCN2074-X2.jpg

Hurry home before anyone notices we are gone:

DSCN2102-X2.jpg

Nice day for a run. Went East but not so far North either, then eventually down to Port Hope.

Found this tunnel near Claremont
tunnel claremont.jpg

Ended up in Omemee
omemee.jpg

Then made my way over to Millbrook. HWY 10 south was nice.
millbrook.jpg

Then down towards Port Hope and took Lakeshore road over to Bond Head...soo much bugs!
sooo many bugs!.jpg

The wooden bridge
woodbridge lakeshore rd.jpg

Guy on a tractor! Waves exchanged!
tractor.jpg

I went on my first 2021 ride up north yesterday. Had planned this for last week, but it didn't materialize. Reduced workload, vacations that are set to expire and the urge to ride all clubbed together and I took a day off and went for this, thanks to Shane's route maps:

route.png

I had earlier planned to leave way early, around 4am and ride for as long as I can throughout the day, but the temperature on Friday morning was hovering around 1, and I am not a fan of riding cold. Thus I waited till 8am before I was on my way. Packed sandwiches and nuts for the way as I knew eateries would be closed.

Kushog Lake Rd

1_PXL_20210423_160108492_1.jpg

The Kennisis lake road was the highlight of the trip. Buttersmooth tarmac with both long sweeping corners and tight switchbacks. I wanted to go all the way and do the Little Kennisis loop, but all this while I had forgotten to tank up, so I turned back after 20 odd kilometers on that road to tank up at Eagle Lake

2_PXL_20210423_171108325_2.jpg

Loved Haburn road. For the first time in Ontario, I encountered a road which can be described as "hilly". Unfortunately, lot's of sand on the entire route; definitely need to come back here in the summer.

Stopped for lunch at a boat launch somewhere off the Haburn road

3_PXL_20210423_173601139_3.jpg

4_PXL_20210423_173621110_4.jpg

5_PXL_20210423_173641203_5.jpg

Elephant Lake

6_PXL_20210423_183727908_6.jpg

Baptise Lake

7_PXL_20210423_191557042_7.jpg

8_PXL_20210423_191632229_8.jpg

9_PXL_20210423_191705239_9.jpg

Was home 12 hours and 810kms later..

Last edited:
The Kennisis lake road was the highlight of the trip. Buttersmooth tarmac with both long sweeping corners and tight switchbacks. I wanted to go all the way and do the Little Kennisis loop, but all this while I had forgotten to tank up, so I turned back after 20 odd kilometers on that road to tank up at Eagle Lake

Loved Haburn road. For the first time in Ontario, I encountered a road which can be described as "hilly". Unfortunately, lot's of sand on the entire route; definitely need to come back here in the summer.
Nice route!

When Kushog Lake Road is not so sandy and you can ride it safely at a slightly faster pace, it feels like a super hilly rollercoaster.

Also the loop around Little Kennisis Lake along Watts Trail below is one of the hilliest backroads I have been on in Ontario. There are lots of cottages along the road and there are way too many hilly/blind corners to go quickly, but it's a really fun road. Hopefully next time you get a chance to go up there, you can check it out. After the Watts Trail loop, you can continue along Kennisis Lake Road for about 5-10 minutes until it basically ends. It's more of the same, with super tight turns, except the pavement quality declines a fair bit after the entrance to Watts Trail.1619271295929.png

Lastly, on the top left corner of the Watts Trail loop above, you can see a gravel road that goes up past Johnson Lake. There is a big steel gate that limits access to that road from Watts Trail. If you come at it from the northeast end from Livingstone Lake Road #12, it's a fun ride along Bear Lake Road, which is basically a really nice fire access/cottage road that becomes a private road (logging I think) all the way over to the steel gate at Watts Trail.
1619271924252.png

Last edited:
Nice route!

When Kushog Lake Road is not so sandy and you can ride it safely at a slightly faster pace, it feels like a super hilly rollercoaster.

Also the loop round Kennisis Lake Road along Watts Trail below is one of the hilliest backroads I have been on in Ontario. There are lots of cottages along the road and there are way too many hilly/blind corners to go quickly, but it's a really fun road. Hopefully next time you get a chance to go up there, you can check it out. After the Watts Trail loop, you can continue along Kennisis Lake Road for about 5-10 minutes until it basically ends. It's more of the same, with super tight turns, except the pavement quality declines a fair bit after the entrance to Watts Trail.View attachment 48323

Lastly, on the top left corner of the Watts Trail loop above, you can see a gravel road that goes up past Johnson Lake. There is a big steel gate that limits access to that road from Watts Trail. If you come at it from the northeast end from Livingstone Lake Road #12, it's a fun ride along Bear Lake Road, which is basically a really nice fire access/cottage road that becomes a private road (logging I think) all the way over to the steel gate at Watts Trail.
View attachment 48324

Yes @shanekingsley , that was the initial plan - to loop around little kennisis lake and back from watts trail. But, there is always a next time.

Also, there was a road directly linking Haliburton lake rd, but it was marked as private on the map. Not sure about the rules here, and if & how to obtain permission to travel on private roads; thus excluded it.

1619274973126.png

I've been stopping in Kinmount the last few rides. There is a nice isolated park in town by the main bridge where you can enjoy the river and dam for a few minutes (y)

Yes, I did see that. Didn't stop there, though. I'll keep it in mind next time.
I stopped under a bridge further ahead in Rosedale, at a lock. I believe it below was below this one:

1619275248506.png

(Image pulled from Gmaps)

Yes @shanekingsley , that was the initial plan - to loop around little kennisis lake and back from watts trail. But, there is always a next time.

Also, there was a road directly linking Haliburton lake rd, but it was marked as private on the map. Not sure about the rules here, and if & how to obtain permission to travel on private roads; thus excluded it.

View attachment 48327
I'm pretty sure I have done that road off of Watts Trail you have indicated. I know that once a long time ago when I was exploring dirt roads, I ended up in Fort Irwin and it seems that road you linked to is the only way there from the north.

That said, just south of Watts Trail, there is a road called Redkenn Rd, which leads past the Haliburton Forest Wolf Centre and will take you to essentially the same area. It's another really easy hard packed dirt road that will change names to Boice Bradley Road and then ends at Haliburton Lake Road as you see below. This is a nice scenic short cut, but I seldom take it because I prefer to ride Kennisis Lake Road out and back and then I do the full loop of Haliburton Lake Road and Harburn Road. When Harburn Road is free of sand and in good shape, Haliburton Lake road is the perfect warm up to it.

1619286327695.png

I went on my first 2021 ride up north yesterday. Had planned this for last week, but it didn't materialize. Reduced workload, vacations that are set to expire and the urge to ride all clubbed together and I took a day off and went for this, thanks to Shane's route maps:

View attachment 48319

I had earlier planned to leave way early, around 4am and ride for as long as I can throughout the day, but the temperature on Friday morning was hovering around 1, and I am not a fan of riding cold. Thus I waited till 8am before I was on my way. Packed sandwiches and nuts for the way as I knew eateries would be closed.

Kushog Lake Rd

View attachment 48310

View attachment 48311

Stopped for lunch at a boat launch somewhere off the Haburn road

View attachment 48312

View attachment 48313

View attachment 48314

Elephant Lake

View attachment 48315

Baptise Lake

View attachment 48316

View attachment 48317

View attachment 48318

Was home 12 hours and 810kms later..
how is your luggage situation?
Doesnt look like you have any kind of plate to attach your bags to, you just bungee cord them to to parts of the bike?
How do you like it? Do your rear bags move around a lot or require frequent adjustment?

how is your luggage situation?
Doesnt look like you have any kind of plate to attach your bags to, you just bungee cord them to to parts of the bike?
How do you like it? Do your rear bags move around a lot or require frequent adjustment?

Yes, a small bag tied up with bungee cords to the frame. A temporary solution, until I purchase hard luggage, which will be soon.

No adjustment required whatsoever. The bag stays pinned.

I'm pretty sure I have done that road off of Watts Trail you have indicated. I know that once a long time ago when I was exploring dirt roads, I ended up in Fort Irwin and it seems that road you linked to is the only way there from the north.

That said, just south of Watts Trail, there is a road called Redkenn Rd, which leads past the Haliburton Forest Wolf Centre and will take you to essentially the same area. It's another really easy hard packed dirt road that will change names to Boice Bradley Road and then ends at Haliburton Lake Road as you see below. This is a nice scenic short cut, but I seldom take it because I prefer to ride Kennisis Lake Road out and back and then I do the full loop of Haliburton Lake Road and Harburn Road. When Harburn Road is free of sand and in good shape, Haliburton Lake road is the perfect warm up to it.

View attachment 48332

These gravel routes are definitely worth exploring. A few others I saw, that were off-route, but worth doing was
a) the deer lake road
b) burliegh road+sumcot road and a couple of other gravel routes linking this together:

1619314160388.png

All the more reasons to go there again! I have begun to develop a fancy for that area..

These gravel routes are definitely worth exploring. A few others I saw, that were off-route, but worth doing was
a) the deer lake road
b) burliegh road+sumcot road and a couple of other gravel routes linking this together:
Burleigh Rd is paved and can be very sandy until late in the season. It basically ends at Sumcot Rd, which I recall being a closed access gravel road. Another way nice route in that area is by taking Kenneway Rd from the 118 to Burleigh Rd. There is an old ttc streetcar buried in the bush about halfway along Kenneway, which is another easy gravel road for about 20km. Then take Burleigh over to Loop Rd.
i-Kg32NPd.jpg

There is an awesome place with cottages and plenty of space for camping right there at Loop Rd in Wilberforce. Super friendly owners and great prices. I've stayed here a few times and it's a great base for exploring the area. It would make a really cool spot to do a weekend trip up there and use it as the home base for exploring. Also good swimming and other stuff on the quiet river and lakes on site.

Last edited:
Yes, a small bag tied up with bungee cords to the frame. A temporary solution, until I purchase hard luggage, which will be soon.

a) the deer lake road

View attachment 48345

All the more reasons to go there again! I have begun to develop a fancy for that area..
Suggestion: take a look at soft luggage. After a lotta years with hard bags, the soft ones are winning me over. Cheaper, trimmer, more flexible. I can no longer see an upside to hard bags.

Suggestion: take a look at soft luggage. After a lotta years with hard bags, the soft ones are winning me over. Cheaper, trimmer, more flexible. I can no longer see an upside to hard bags.
Yup, great article on both posted in an ADV Rider article

Let me know if you'd like to try the SW-Motech bag I had mentioned for some rides, if not, there was another member on here who said they would like it :) - I also have a Nelson Rigg Tail bag if you'd ever like to use. - This one. 5 Years of use, still looks new, and the first 3 years of riding, it was the only storage I had

Last edited:
Yup, great article on both posted in an ADV Rider article

Let me know if you'd like to try the SW-Motech bag I had mentioned for some rides, if not, there was another member on here who said they would like it :) - I also have a Nelson Rigg Tail bag if you'd ever like to use. - This one. 5 Years of use, still looks new, and the first 3 years of riding, it was the only storage I had
PM Sent

Back
Top Bottom