2021 Day Trips! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Day Trips!

Yup, great article on both posted in an ADV Rider article

Let me know if you'd like to try the SW-Motech bag I had mentioned for some rides, if not, there was another member on here who said they would like it :) - I also have a Nelson Rigg Tail bag if you'd ever like to use. - This one. 5 Years of use, still looks new, and the first 3 years of riding, it was the only storage I had
Suggestion: take a look at soft luggage. After a lotta years with hard bags, the soft ones are winning me over. Cheaper, trimmer, more flexible. I can no longer see an upside to hard bags.

I used soft luggage when I started off. Not the fancy Giant Loop/Mosko bags available these days; the ones I had were from an Indian company called "Cramster", pretty the gold standard in 2008 there when I bought them for my first ride to Ladakh.

After the end of a long day riding, carrying the luggage into the hotel room/tent and in the morning bringing them back out and tying it back to the rear seat was a pain. Leaving luggage outside was insecure and not an option. And that is the biggest upside I see to hard luggage - convenience and security.
I can leave stuff on the bike, locked in, overnight.

I realize the advantages of soft-luggage on off-roads, but I will not be doing off-roading often. Mainly on tarmac except for maybe a ride to Labrador, the highway in which, has been paved mostly.

Btw @ScorpionT16 the link you posted - The person has used Magadan bags from Adv Spec. I think those bags are excellent. On advrider, I saw what Walter Colebatch put those bags through, on his ride across the BAM and Road of Bones - And they were unhinged! Excellent bags for the purpose. In the time to come, I will get a dual sport - just for off-roading. Magadan bags is what I will buy.

Edit: Ah yes, another advantage that I see applicable to me - My wife doesn't drive, so she keeps sending me to far flung places to buy grocery - limited availability of Indian items here in Burlington. A hard case can be used for grocery shopping :)

Last edited:
Drove to Toronto Saturday
Weather turned to poop Sunday

Westney Road, I think.

Yes exactly, I've rode by that way so many times never really saw it, but this time I took Westney up from Taunton I finally noticed it.
Are you sure? Haven't been by there in a while but I think it might be just west of Westney Road possibly Sideline 12 a bit north of Concession 9. Next time I'm in the area I'll check just to satisfy my memory.

Are you sure? Haven't been by there in a while but I think it might be just west of Westney Road possibly Sideline 12 a bit north of Concession 9. Next time I'm in the area I'll check just to satisfy my memory.
I thought you might be right, but...

Screenshot_20210425-164222.jpeg

Screenshot_20210425-164253.jpeg

fc5dc18d8f411d3cea067b9a7c4a92f8.jpg

8d79117615748f28cfd4f07cfb4a08f9.jpg

Just a little run over to Kitchener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used soft luggage when I started off. Not the fancy Giant Loop/Mosko bags available these days; the ones I had were from an Indian company called "Cramster", pretty the gold standard in 2008 there when I bought them for my first ride to Ladakh.

After the end of a long day riding, carrying the luggage into the hotel room/tent and in the morning bringing them back out and tying it back to the rear seat was a pain. Leaving luggage outside was insecure and not an option. And that is the biggest upside I see to hard luggage - convenience and security.
I can leave stuff on the bike, locked in, overnight.

I realize the advantages of soft-luggage on off-roads, but I will not be doing off-roading often. Mainly on tarmac except for maybe a ride to Labrador, the highway in which, has been paved mostly.

Btw @ScorpionT16 the link you posted - The person has used Magadan bags from Adv Spec. I think those bags are excellent. On advrider, I saw what Walter Colebatch put those bags through, on his ride across the BAM and Road of Bones - And they were unhinged! Excellent bags for the purpose. In the time to come, I will get a dual sport - just for off-roading. Magadan bags is what I will buy.

Edit: Ah yes, another advantage that I see applicable to me - My wife doesn't drive, so she keeps sending me to far flung places to buy grocery - limited availability of Indian items here in Burlington. A hard case can be used for grocery shopping :)

+1. Same points for me, have a Kriega US30 and the straps are easy enough but dealing with it twice a day on a trip is a PITA. Even if you have to bring cases inside, simple button to unlock and carry them into a hotel/room makes more sense. Maybe no one will touch your bags, but not having that nagging feeling in your mind when you leave stuff on the bike is what made me go hard>soft :sneaky:.
Commuting with a top case is heaven, no weight on your shoulders, place for takeout/bubble tea or groceries.
We don't get to filter here and I do zero off-roading.

Sunday evening gravel run

I wanted to spend some time this weekend exploring backroads nearby that were unpaved/graveled. Found that opportunity today evening. Did the following route:

1620013494016.png

The site Gravel Road Maps and Biking Routes - Gravelmap was quite helpful in locating gravel sections in the region and charting out a route connecting those sections.

Side Rd 10:

1620013786543.png

1620014833011.png

1.jpg

Sections with gradient were especially enjoyable - The Grange Side Rd:

1620013811800.png

Fallbrook Trail:

2.jpg

1620014213432.png

For some additional fun I was hoping it would rain a bit, as the forecast suggested, but it was not to be. Also, turning ABS off would have helped; it was a pain on declines...

Nonetheless, I enjoyed exploring these roads every bit. Beautiful country!

The hunt for more options shall continue... :)

Last edited:
I am trying out new navigation apps, and trying to pick the one that suits my needs the most. This week, tried out Calimoto (calimoto.com). The key highlights of this particular app is that it generates a route for me within a pre-specified radius, and I can choose how direct (or twisty) my route ought to be. And also throw in whether I'd prefer the inclusion of non-paved routes.

So this is what it threw at me in seconds, and it turned out to be a pretty neat little couple of hours route:

1620606648053.png

With a few gravel sections thrown in:

1620606749262.png

Gravel.jpg

1620606909132.png

A good app, relatively easy to use but the downside is that the free version is Online Use Only' and the paid version is a subscription.. But hey, for these short, unplanned rides, I am not complaining!

I am trying out new navigation apps, and trying to pick the one that suits my needs the most. This week, tried out Calimoto (calimoto.com). The key highlights of this particular app is that it generates a route for me within a pre-specified radius, and I can choose how direct (or twisty) my route ought to be. And also throw in whether I'd prefer the inclusion of non-paved routes.

So this is what it threw at me in seconds, and it turned out to be a pretty neat little couple of hours route:

View attachment 48654

With a few gravel sections thrown in:

View attachment 48655

View attachment 48656

View attachment 48657

A good app, relatively easy to use but the downside is that the free version is Online Use Only' and the paid version is a subscription.. But hey, for these short, unplanned rides, I am not complaining!
That looks like a pretty nice route.

So when you say online only, does that mean that Calimoto will not all you to save a route as a gpx file to your computer, to then transfer to a dedicated GPS?

That looks like a pretty nice route.

So when you say online only, does that mean that Calimoto will not all you to save a route as a gpx file to your computer, to then transfer to a dedicated GPS?
Yes, you can save the route as a gpx and transfer it using calimoto. What I meant was on the free version of Calimoto, there is no offline navigation e.g. like on Gmaps or OsmAnd etc via download

On that note, I have started using motowhere.com to create custom gpx routes and then open them up in Gmaps. I found its UI the easiest to use and I can also create upto 25 waypoints, in comparison to 10 when using native Gmaps.

I had been wanting to explore the area between Hockley & Creemore and beyond for a while now. I got the opportunity yesterday. I had charted this route a while back, based on the topography that was visible on openmaps. And honestly, it has been one of my best rides so far, in this country. I am glad that I was able to carve out the time to explore this beautiful region (Mono-Mulmur-Terra Nova-Creemore) that falls less in a radius of <150kms from my place in Burlington.

Especially the abundance of trails and off-roads mixed with scenic vistas & technical sections makes this route, in my opinion, highly recommended if you are looking at half-day getaway from the GTA.

Only downside is that between the length of Mono – Glen Huron, there are roads that have basically never been tarred; needless to say, are graveled, potholed at places with lots of frost heaves. So, if you are not comfortable with wheelspin and fishtailing, you can skip the interior section and stick to Hw 124.

Here is the route I tried:

1620758786458.png

Pics Pics Pics

Kennedy Road between Hw 7 & 10 ahead of Belfountain:

1620758900412.png

Hockley:

Hockley.jpg

Roads circumventing the Mono Cliffs Provincial Park:

1620759266939.png

1620759340232.png

Down river road in Mulmur. One road that is a must-do!

River Road.jpg

Trails/Side roads crisscrossing the river road:

1620759677439.png

1620759837435.png

Murmur-Melancthon Main Line:

Melancthon.jpg

Melancthon -2.jpg

I like the clouds in the last photo. @kurtrules you certainly do quite a bit of offroad. Curious what tires you have and what's the split?

I like the clouds in the last photo. @kurtrules you certainly do quite a bit of offroad. Curious what tires you have and what's the split?
Yeah, the tires are bone stock; came with the bike. Road tires Bridgestone Battlax. 17 inch rear, 19 front. They're good, but not off the road. A friend of mine back home replaced his stroms' rear tire with Continental TKC80, and swears by its capability.

I might go the same route once these stock ones reach end of life.

Back
Top Bottom