Votes: 21 22.3%
  • 50 to 59

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • 60 to 69

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • 70 to 79

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
If the poll is anything to go by, not a single soul between the age of 16-19 here lool...guess that's what happens when we drop the hammer on anyone who has an M1 and wants to buy a Hayabusa? :LOL:
if it takes the guy 5 years to figure out how to get insurance quotes...perhaps we're better off?

If the poll is anything to go by, not a single soul between the age of 16-19 here lool...guess that's what happens when we drop the hammer on anyone who has an M1 and wants to buy a Hayabusa? :LOL:

Well... this is a "web forum", so there's definitely Selection Bias going on here.

All the teens are on Insta and Tik Tok, or whatever the latest platform is that requires the shortest attention span...

Web forums are for old farts. Basically next-gen BBSes...

What's the discord channel for this group?

Unless you're smart about it - which, unfortunately, most people aren't.
Me, I use a credit card for almost everything - collect travel rewards. Plan is to use them in about 2 years for a trip to Australia.

Buy stuff on card. Pay it off next pay cheque. Repeat. Never pay any interest due to the regular pay downs. Ends up being a win for me in the end... and very long term and slow win, but a win nonetheless.
Same strategy here. When I was a kid and got my first credit card, I was told it was a convenience tool so I didn't have to carry tons of cash with me all the time, and to always pay off the balance by the due date to avoid paying interest. Then rewards cards came out. I used to use travel rewards cards like CIBC Aeroplan and Amex, but stopped back in 2000 when I realized that for all the taxes I was paying on flights along with how long it took to earn enough points while paying $100+ per year for the card, I was better off with no fee cash back cards and paying for the flights myself.

... with how long it took to earn enough points while paying $100+ per year for the card, I was better off with no fee cash back cards ...
As long as there's a set amount in my savings account, my card is has no fee. Look into that as well.

Sad thing about all those points is that none of it is paid for by the likes of Visa or MC. It's all off the backs of the users (retailers).

Sad thing about all those points is that none of it is paid for by the likes of Visa or MC. It's all off the backs of the users (retailers).

I think that's only true for independent points/discount programs like Airmiles or SPC where the customer gets the benefit without any additional cost or special payment method. Visa, MC, and Amex all get their percentage of sale. Credit card specific rewards like cash back are a marketing scheme to attract customers to a particular financial institution's product (such as Scotiabank Momentum Visa vs. TD Infinite Visa), and I'm pretty sure it's paid by that financial institution and usually passed on to the customer by means of an annual fee.

I think that's only true for independent points/discount programs like Airmiles or SPC where the customer gets the benefit without any additional cost or special payment method. Visa, MC, and Amex all get their percentage of sale. Credit card specific rewards like cash back are a marketing scheme to attract customers to a particular financial institution's product (such as Scotiabank Momentum Visa vs. TD Infinite Visa), and I'm pretty sure it's paid by that financial institution and usually passed on to the customer by means of an annual fee.
Transaction fees vary by the card presented. Give the retailer a card with many benefits and often they are charged ~double the benefits you received. For instance a no-frills card may cost them 2% and a 1% cashback card costs them 4%.

Exactly GG. The better your reward card the bigger the hit the retailer takes. That's why so many prefer debit. It's a standard cost(lower) per transaction rather a percentage.

Transaction fees vary by the card presented. Give the retailer a card with many benefits and often they are charged ~double the benefits you received. For instance a no-frills card may cost them 2% and a 1% cashback card costs them 4%.

I found this chart from a couple years ago:

Many cash back cards are considered "regular" cards, and the premium rates seem to be associated with business cards and top tier cards. Also the rates seem to me lower than I remember from back in the day.

I found this chart from a couple years ago:

Many cash back cards are considered "regular" cards, and the premium rates seem to be associated with business cards and top tier cards. Also the rates seem to me lower than I remember from back in the day.
Based on that, my main card is probably 2.7, work card is 2.3, secondary card is amex which IIRC is pushing 4.

I still have no idea how Amex gets away with their rates, and I used to work for them.

I still have no idea how Amex gets away with their rates, and I used to work for them.
They don't everywhere. I'd say less than half of retailers accept it. We use a Cobalt AmEx because it gives 5x points on any food-related purchase, which adds up fast. In Hamilton, Fortino's doesn't accept AmEx, while Metro does, therefore we always shop at Metro for basic groceries despite preferring Fortino's brand selection. Is it worth the 2% cost for Metro to get all our business? Considering what we spend as a household of five plus two dogs, I'd guess the answer is yes...

I pay 100 a year and get 5 to 10 thousand back a year in travel dollars no brainer. Keep the card paid off.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

I go on to see cool bikes, but I keep seeing young ladies in extra tight pants telling me their life philosophy while they do squats

don't lie, you went on to see the young ladies and the bikes are a bonus.

really surprised at this poll though. I was in that early age bracket when I joined this site. I wonder if its insurance or the commitment to real conversations that's driving the young ones away.

don't lie, you went on to see the young ladies and the bikes are a bonus.

really surprised at this poll though. I was in that early age bracket when I joined this site. I wonder if its insurance or the commitment to real conversations that's driving the young ones away.

imo its mostly economic, cost of living keeps going up, wages arent

on a somewhat related subject, do kids still skateboard now? or is that also a dying art?

imo its mostly economic, cost of living keeps going up, wages arent

on a somewhat related subject, do kids still skateboard now? or is that also a dying art?
They are terrorizing the path system quite frequently last I saw.

Back
Top Bottom