Votes: 21 22.3%
  • 50 to 59

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • 60 to 69

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • 70 to 79

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
A smart friend says pay cash for what you want and borrow for what you need.

FWIW I pretty much brown bagged it and brewed my own coffee each morning for most of my career. I'm under 60, retired comfortably (for a guy whose ok with home brewed coffee) and debt free.

That last part bothers me some. Money at 2% locked in for 10 years. I want a piece of that.

Life is too short to cheap out on booze, coffee, or poo tickets.

Dang! 52 is the new 30. Lol

All this talk about money makes me think again about how we should be teaching personal finance in high school ... every year.

Credit Cards, APR loans, insurance... a lot of stuff you don't really find out until you might already be in too deep.

Hell, my first 'personal finance' class was getting a credit card in unversity - I held $1000s debt every year until tax time where I can use my tax return to pay off my credit card. It was perpetually uncomfortable.

Unless you're smart about it - which, unfortunately, most people aren't.
Me, I use a credit card for almost everything - collect travel rewards. Plan is to use them in about 2 years for a trip to Australia.

Buy stuff on card. Pay it off next pay cheque. Repeat. Never pay any interest due to the regular pay downs. Ends up being a win for me in the end... and very long term and slow win, but a win nonetheless.

Same. I primarily use a grocery card, and I am have gotten more value out than I put in via interest.

(Whoring out my personal data notwithstanding)

Last edited:
My 1st credit card was an American Express in '73. No "payments" were allowed. When the bill came, the FULL amount was due.
I learned early that interest was bad.
I don't have an AmEx any more, but I've treated every visa etc the same for nearly 50yrs. I've never paid a penny in interest (except cash advances).
Now with online shopping / banking, I pay my visa off in less than a minute.

Interest bad.

Funnily enough, credit card companies have a term that they use for people who always pay their credit card bill in full every month, thus incurring no interest. They call them "Deadbeats". No lie.

:ROFLMAO:
Guess I’m a deadbeat now.....ah well. I prefer not to pay interest if I don’t need to.

For the youngens here....is there a new trend / movement where people put in ‘he/him’ or ‘she/her’ behind their name on correspondence? I’ve noticed an uptick in my emails recently and not sure what that’s about. I presume something to do in support of trans communities?

Guess I’m a deadbeat now.....ah well. I prefer not to pay interest if I don’t need to.

For the youngens here....is there a new trend / movement where people put in ‘he/him’ or ‘she/her’ behind their name on correspondence? I’ve noticed an uptick in my emails recently and not sure what that’s about. I presume something to do in support of trans communities?
Not necessarily trans, just self-identity. Some people are not too concerned if you pick the wrong descriptor, others completely lose their crap. I find it is helpful sometimes, especially with names from other cultures or names that are commonly used by multiple genders.

People kind, didn’t you listen to our Great Leader?

All this talk about money makes me think again about how we should be teaching personal finance in high school ... every year.

Credit Cards, APR loans, insurance... a lot of stuff you don't really find out until you might already be in too deep.

Hell, my first 'personal finance' class was getting a credit card in unversity - I held $1000s debt every year until tax time where I can use my tax return to pay off my credit card. It was perpetually uncomfortable.
Maybe something to think about if you’re a mom or dad?

I’m amazed at how little effort many parents put into teaching their kids about personal financial management.

Maybe something to think about if you’re a mom or dad?

I’m amazed at how little effort many parents put into teaching their kids about personal financial management.
That is a great point, but with a lot of parents still having no idea how things work, the only thing they can pass along is ignorance. It is truly amazing how some people get through life with so little understanding. The stereotypical example was someone on the line at a big auto manufacturer. If you have $100 left at the end of the month, that means you have $100 a month to pay the note on a new toy. The long-term game is taken care of by your employer. I think things have changed some, but when I was a kid, talking with some of the GM workers was eye-opening.

Nobody ever asks me about my pronoun. Nobody would ask themselves about my pronoun.

So it’s not on my business cards or email signatures. I like it that way

Whose read The Wealthy Barber? Have your kids?
I’ve read it but as @GreyGhost my kids are too small.
4 year old has about 12k in his account already and the baby has zero. But I’ll make that adjustment in the coming weeks.

EDIT: @GreyGhost what in the eff did you invest in to have 6 figure RESP within 4 years? I put in the $2500 so get the max from the govt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom