To be masked or not to be masked | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To be masked or not to be masked

what you REALLY won’t want to hear

Zero citations to peer reviewed studies, random names and quotes thrown in throughout the article... where's the science? This just looks like more fear mongering...

True but the valve makes life easier.

If, as I'm seeing in a lot of venues, no one else is wearing a mask does it really matter if there's one more set of lung potentially spewing bugs?

Protect yourself and screw the others because they aren't worried about you.

Some limitations may apply.
This is pretty much my view as someone who doesn't wear a mask. You protect yourself. If I'm comfortable with the risk then I won't. FREEDOM!!!

If there's one thing I appreciate about wearing a non-N95 mask is that it was great for the last two years with my seasonal allergies. I could cycle and walk around through the worst of the pollen season without clogged sinuses and bloodshot eyes.

I also think they're great to wear for those in-person debates about the efficacy of masks and vaccines in the face of the 'rona, or anything else you're passionately debating about these days:

If there's one thing I appreciate about wearing a non-N95 mask is that it was great for the last two years with my seasonal allergies. I could cycle and walk around through the worst of the pollen season without clogged sinuses and bloodshot eyes.

I also think they're great to wear for those in-person debates about the efficacy of masks and vaccines in the face of the 'rona, or anything else you're passionately debating about these days:
Definitely talking moistly

I was at Costco getting snack and a guy sneezed full force all over his order tablet. No oops or attempt to clean up. Similarly, kids not being taught to cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing.

I got my 4th shot Saturday at the ex-Target store at Cloverdale and the place was almost empty, more staff X 5 than arms to jab. How is another lock down going to fly come winter?

Hopefully after the 29th shot, it will all be behind us.

I found allergies worse the last couple of years with the cloth masks. I'm not sure why.

Excess Deaths:

My mother just passed. She was in hospice for her last few days. The second day that I visited, when I was leaving, a family was doing the intake of their mother. One of the four people was an anti-vaxxer who was loudly proclaiming that Covid was fake, they shouldn't bother with testing or masking, and should just push past the very kind woman who was trying to help them. It was all that I could do to keep myself from punching her lights out. Elder care and hospices were a nightmare for Covid outbreaks and I didn't want my mother's last days to be even worse than they might have been.

My mother just passed. She was in hospice for her last few days. The second day that I visited, when I was leaving, a family was doing the intake of their mother. One of the four people was an anti-vaxxer who was loudly proclaiming that Covid was fake, they shouldn't bother with testing or masking, and should just push past the very kind woman who was trying to help them. It was all that I could do to keep myself from punching her lights out. Elder care and hospices were a nightmare for Covid outbreaks and I didn't want my mother's last days to be even worse than they might have been.
Sorry to hear Rob.

Somewhat tongue in cheek, I am all for equipping LTC staff with tasers. Rules are on the door, if you don't want to follow them and you want to waste my time dealing with your stupidity instead of caring for your loved one, light em up.

Condolences, Rob. It's always a bit of a shock, even when it's not a surprise.

Not sure why the venn diagram overlap of pushy loudmouths and anti-vax is so large. You'd hope that in that particular circumstance they could let it go, but it seems to be impossible for some in that crowd. We don't live far from the Rosslyn home in Hamilton that was all over the news for the number of deaths from an outbreak, the shockingly poor levels of care and protection, and then that resident that was left behind when they ultimately transferred everyone to a hospital. It's still empty, and is a reminder of how brutal Covid outbreaks can be in elderly communities.

Sorry for your loss

Condolences. Hospice isn't the time or the place to argue like that.
At least they weren't trying to admit a covid patient into the home.
New York may never live that down.

Hopefully after the 29th shot, it will all be behind us.

I know you’re only semi joking but I’m going to ask you why, even if that is the case (unlikely as we know more and develop more research into effective treatments), you would feel it’s an imposition considering this is a brand new virus with brand new potential long term implications and an already demonstrated capability of mutating into further strains with increased infection rates and vaccine evasiveness? The vaccines have a very well demonstrated capability of keeping any symptoms mild right now and further benefits on lower transmission.

I’ll happily get whatever booster scientists that spend their lives studying this recommend. I defer to them as I know for absolute certain that they know more about this than me.

I know you’re only semi joking but I’m going to ask you why, even if that is the case (unlikely as we know more and develop more research into effective treatments), you would feel it’s an imposition considering this is a brand new virus with brand new potential long term implications and an already demonstrated capability of mutating into further strains with increased infection rates and vaccine evasiveness? The vaccines have a very well demonstrated capability of keeping any symptoms mild right now and further benefits on lower transmission.

I’ll happily get whatever booster scientists that spend their lives studying this recommend. I defer to them as I know for absolute certain that they know more about this than me.
I'd like there to be some science study foundation first. Maybe Canada could do a mask study, to keep this on topic.
We currently have an excess in non covid deaths. That also needs some research.

DownUnder ...you are looking for reasons not to accept the conclusions ...
Maybe read the followup

Cases are rising world wide ...

Coronavirus cases, deaths, vaccinations by country - BBC

https://www.bbc.com › news › world-51235105

covid cases rising world from www.bbc.com
6 days ago — Covid-19 is continuing to spread around the world, with more than 550 ... countries in which cases have risen to more than 10,000 per day ...
and that is with highly reduced tracking.
You want to call it fear mongering....fine....continue to wear your rose coloured glasses.

I'd like there to be some science study foundation first. Maybe Canada could do a mask study, to keep this on topic.
We currently have an excess in non covid deaths. That also needs some research.

The reason why we don’t need a(nother) mask study is that there are plenty available that show the benefits (of a proper mask) plus real world, real-time demonstrations of the benefits from those countries where compliance with mask usage is high. The issue we have is the sheer amount of noise and non-compliance from a segment of society that seems intent on self implosion and self destruction. It’s like continually asking for a study to show the earth is round and not flat because someone’s “internet research” showed them a paper from Dr Dickhead in the journal of artificial physics that said the world is unequivocally flat.

I’m ordering a bunch of 3M Aura N95’s right now because when I see the contagion from the latest strain surpassing that of measles and health units advising masking outside now in crowded areas I’m very concerned.

Compliance is actually key here. Masks are like raincoats…fine in showers but if it continually pours you’ll get wet. Non-compliance ensures the downpours keep happening.

The reason why we don’t need a(nother) mask study is that there are plenty available that show the benefits (of a proper mask) plus real world, real-time demonstrations of the benefits from those countries where compliance with mask usage is high. The issue we have is the sheer amount of noise and non-compliance from a segment of society that seems intent on self implosion and self destruction. It’s like continually asking for a study to show the earth is round and not flat because someone’s “internet research” showed them a paper from Dr Dickhead in the journal of artificial physics that said the world is unequivocally flat.

I’m ordering a bunch of 3M Aura N95’s right now because when I see the contagion from the latest strain surpassing that of measles and health units advising masking outside now in crowded areas I’m very concerned.

Compliance is actually key here. Masks are like raincoats…fine in showers but if it continually pours you’ll get wet. Non-compliance ensures the downpours keep happening.
Disagree. Can you cite some good studies that show the benefits. Anecdotal evidence doesn't suffice.

Back
Top Bottom