Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 179 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

"Hasta el cielo" (Sky high) on Netflix.
My Spanish if finally getting good enough to watch original - this movie is a gem IMO (not sure about dubbed version though..). Great spanish cast, action packed, cool music and also can be education for "street" language in Spain.. My spanish teacher went speechless when I demonstrated her what words and fraises I'd learned there haha

Nice thanks for sharing, can always learn some more Spanish (y)

Watched "Dune" last night. It is about as good a movie as I have seen in a while. Great performances and amazing cinematography. Quite a bit of action. Having said that a guy 3-4 rows ahead of us had a seizure during a big scene (shown in the trailer) and they had to stop it and get him help. Rewound the movie a bit and back to normal. I don't know if seizure inducing is a complement but I am planning to go see it again.

While I am at it...anyone see the new Bond?

Watched "Dune" last night. It is about as good a movie as I have seen in a while. Great performances and amazing cinematography. Quite a bit of action. Having said that a guy 3-4 rows ahead of us had a seizure during a big scene (shown in the trailer) and they had to stop it and get him help. Rewound the movie a bit and back to normal. I don't know if seizure inducing is a complement but I am planning to go see it again.

While I am at it...anyone see the new Bond?
i did, meh. i still think the first one was the best one, but it was better then QoS

Watched "Dune" last night. It is about as good a movie as I have seen in a while. Great performances and amazing cinematography. Quite a bit of action.

I watched it last night. Found it captured Herbert's vision a lot better than Lynch's (ne: De Laurentiis'). It looked better, too. eg: Ornithopters looked like what you'd think an ornitopter should look like.......not a pregnant UK telephone booth. There were a few thing in the plot that didn't jive, but they were minor. Villeneuve got it right, for the most part. Looking forward to part two.

I also watched Dune.... and found it to be boring, and forgettable.

Villeneuve is a very stylist director with great visual style, the settings of the shots and presence of space in scenes are excellent. But his characters and how they are portrayed are lifeless with no emotions. It's hard to connect with them when there is no sense of tension, urgency, loss etc or even care for them on this journey. All monotone. Surprisingly Momoa is the saving grace as he seems alive compared to the rest of them. When Paul meets Chani, the girl he dreams about, it's so meh, the build up is totally lost. As well as the the Harkonnen's, boring dull villians. They are suppose to be exciting, strange, interesting, and you want to see them lose, but you don't here. I found this to be the same in his other works, Bladerunner 2048, and Arrival, great visual style but souless characters.

I find Dune to be a very controversial topic. I believe the source material has great original concepts but is generally flawed how it is written, and is difficult to translate into a movie no matter what. This new version does some things better, but leaves out plot devices and didn't really set the stage properly, like motivation, the emperor and what is going on between the 2 houses.

I think the 1984 version is still better, more charismatic cast, even with the cheesiness and Pickard running around with a pug, at least it was creative and exciting then bland with nice visuals.

I watched "Into The Wild" on Netflix. It was made in 2008, but I had never seen it, considered the plot corny. But I was impressed. It's also a true story that I vaguely remember getting brief coverage in the media. It underscores how the pied-piper of literature can lead people off a cliff. People forget that Jack London, though he spent time in Dawson City at the gold rush, is still fiction. Rich, presumably intelligent kid sets off on a search to find solace, peace of mind. Music is great, even though Eddy Vedder is an a-hole.

Eli - Wife has watched every horror movie and when I put this one on she was surprised she hadn't seen it. After watching it she realized why. It's meh.

Looking forward to watching Forgotten Battle

Looking forward to watching Forgotten Battle
It was odd for me to watch it. My late fil gave up little bits of stories over the years about the Canadians liberating Holland. He talked about using a boat to cross a river, capture a German soldier for interrogation which led to securing a bridge and the eventual liberation of Arnhem.
He spent time in a Dutch hospital after taking a bullet to his head. We have his helmet in our basement somewhere. Bullet hole in the front.
No idea how true his stories are. But the helmet is real.

It was odd for me to watch it. My late fil gave up little bits of stories over the years about the Canadians liberating Holland. He talked about using a boat to cross a river, capture a German soldier for interrogation which led to securing a bridge and the eventual liberation of Arnhem.
He spent time in a Dutch hospital after taking a bullet to his head. We have his helmet in our basement somewhere. Bullet hole in the front.
No idea how true his stories are. But the helmet is real.
I used to deliver for Meals on Wheels and one elderly fella was a WW vet and had a lot of memorabilia displayed in his apartment. We always chatted at least an hour every time I delivered there about his war stories as I already had a big interest in WW history.

Watched "Dune" last night = loved it,
IMAX - makes all the difference to appreciate the scale of the worlds created on the screen. Loved how they designed tech, weaponry, clothes - it didn't disappoint :)

So based on that I would definitely recommend to anyone who read the books and for any sci-fi nerd, not for the average viewer IMO :)
Can't wait for #2 and 3..

Forgotten Battle was ok. It was mostly storyline with very little action and I was hoping for the opposite.

Watched "Dune" last night = loved it,
IMAX - makes all the difference to appreciate the scale of the worlds created on the screen. Loved how they designed tech, weaponry, clothes - it didn't disappoint :)

So based on that I would definitely recommend to anyone who read the books and for any sci-fi nerd, not for the average viewer IMO :)
Can't wait for #2 and 3..
Going to see it for a second time this weekend with some other friends, IMAX for sure.

I Care a Lot with Rosemund Pike and Peter Dinklage. Directed by a bipolar person. First half really good, looks excellent, great characters….second half….wtf? You ruined it you dick.

Back
Top Bottom