Occupations | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Occupations

Not sure how many others approach their career like me, but I am not looking to move up, make more money or gain more responsibility. I'm content to stay right here until I retire. I would have taken a job with less responsibility and pay, but the job I have is the one I got and I'm quite happy to stay where I am and do the best I can at what I'm presently doing.

Curious if I'm thinking the same thing 5 years from now.

Not sure how many others approach their career like me, but I am not looking to move up, make more money or gain more responsibility. I'm content to stay right here until I retire. I would have taken a job with less responsibility and pay, but the job I have is the one I got and I'm quite happy to stay where I am and do the best I can at what I'm presently doing.

amen.

Likewise. If I am still able to think clearly in 5 years I will be ahead of the game.

And if they replaced me the show would go on not just for them but for me. If they don’t feel I’m useful enough here I’ll find a place that makes better use of me
I like your attitude. Did your parents make you cutvthe grass, shovel snow and take out the garbage?

Just testing a theory.

I'm on the glide path to retirement, work for me us now about staying active.

Worked most of my career in tech, had some successes, saw the world, developed some killer products that were used by millions.

After that I started 2 small businesses, the first failed, the second was a hit. Retired when I sold my biz at 50. Got bored and returned to work 3 years later, in stressless jobs on my terms. 6 years teaching at big bank, followed by a consultative operations gig at a small Canadian company acquired by a multinational.

My rule these days... wake up 5 days in a row not wanting to hit the office... game over.

I would be renting for life if I do this 😂

I would be renting for life if I do this 😂
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s the idea of home ownership that’s pushed through as the end all be all.

As for me, literally got off the phone with my 2 levels up manager and he asked ‘so what do you think you need to do to get to the next level?’

‘Uhm…I literally just got promoted 3 weeks ago’
‘Yes but you need to plan moving foreward’

I’m at the level now where I can coast away and be happy until retirement and OMERS gives me my full pension. But I know myself too well…good opportunity, position, or experience comes up Im gone.

After this project. Promised my boss I’d stick around for the end of this one.

Why those choices? Do you like working for yourself/small companies or for large companies? Would you rather be covered in #^@$@ or grease?

Either's fine. Heard plumbers get paid and I see a lot of postings for millwrights but there's not much out there on it in terms of what they do like there is content on the other trades figured someone here might have some experience with the field

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s the idea of home ownership that’s pushed through as the end all be all.

As for me, literally got off the phone with my 2 levels up manager and he asked ‘so what do you think you need to do to get to the next level?’

‘Uhm…I literally just got promoted 3 weeks ago’
‘Yes but you need to plan moving foreward’

I’m at the level now where I can coast away and be happy until retirement and OMERS gives me my full pension. But I know myself too well…good opportunity, position, or experience comes up Im gone.

After this project. Promised my boss I’d stick around for the end of this one.

Very good very good.

I can't rent anymore, my brain can't handle the instability 0_o

Either's fine. Heard plumbers get paid and I see a lot of postings for millwrights but there's not much out there on it in terms of what they do like there is content on the other trades figured someone here might have some experience with the field
If I was to do it again, Id pick cop. If you're smarrt, your career starts at 21 and you're retired at 51. You're into Sunshine by 23, and can move and work anywhere fairly easily.

Crap schedule for the first 10 years, but the money is good, no tools or vehicles to buy. And it's less dangerous than being a plumber or millwright.

If I was to do it again, Id pick cop. If you're smarrt, your career starts at 21 and you're retired at 51. You're into Sunshine by 23, and can move and work anywhere fairly easily.

Crap schedule for the first 10 years, but the money is good, no tools or vehicles to buy. And it's less dangerous than being a plumber or millwright.
You're too smart. There is a very good chance they wouldn't let you in. Many specifically recruit goons as they don't get bored doing menial tasks all day.

You make it sound so easy. Police foundations course is one of the easiest courses kids go to college for (most to make their parents happy that they're enrolled in something) Few actually make it to become one. I have heard nightmare stories of how hard it is to get in these days, basically needing a university degree, a ton of volunteering, be involved in the community, have all of your medical training courses up to date, etc etc plus have a minority name on your resume, work random jobs (security guard/corrections officer) when you don't get hired in the pool of hires for that particular 6 month or year timeframe, by that time you're closer to 30 years old than 20. I know of a few just at my one gym alone, waiting around for years, not commiting to anything else in hopes of becoming one..
Just like my dad telling me to apply to be a firefighter with none of those qualifications. Never going to happen. It's not 1985 anymore.

Plumbers are dirty jobs but there will ALWAYS be work out there for you.

Start your own business once you have the ticket, and then it’s a matter of not being an idiot and dealing with people. Start slow and crank up with time and jobs.

Start running your own crews and the sky’s the limit.

No clue about millwrights.

The schedule is very interesting. I've met a few cops and my buddie's bro is one. They work crazy long hours on shift but in between they are off quite a bit, he said they only actually work a few months a year, something like that.

But definiatly dangerous. One of the guys I bumped into had all of his body cam footage on his phone and showed me the amount of crazy chit they have to go through on simple stuff like pulling people over, it's nuts. And it wasn't a one off video he had several.

You make it sound so easy. Police foundations course is one of the easiest courses kids go to college for (most to make their parents happy that they're enrolled in something) Few actually make it to become one. I have heard nightmare stories of how hard it is to get in these days, basically needing a university degree, a ton of volunteering, be involved in the community, have all of your medical training courses up to date, etc etc plus have a minority name on your resume, work random jobs (security guard/corrections officer) when you don't get hired in the pool of hires for that particular 6 month or year timeframe, by that time you're closer to 30 years old than 20. I know of a few just at my one gym alone, waiting around for years, not commiting to anything else in hopes of becoming one..
Just like my dad telling me to apply to be a firefighter with none of those qualifications. Never going to happen. It's not 1985 anymore.
You might be right. My experience us with 2 kids that grew up with my kids. One did a 3 yr BSc at Carlton, the other did an undergrad in some kinda social work at Brock. Carlton guy went RCMP at 20, spent 4 yesrs posted in remote SK and NL before getting to Newmsrket. The other switched to police in a small SW ontario force after working 1 year as a social worker.

Average kids. Wasn't a particularly rough path.

Back
Top Bottom