Occupations | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Occupations

Wise words.I wish i could pass that on to my girlfriend. She is retiring after over 20 years on April 1 and i think she is scared and bitter. Scared off the big unknown, and bitter that she will replaced by a min wage worker that will let her department fall apart.
I'm going to try and keep her busy.
Wait a minute.....
Your girlfriend is retiring April 1st.
My Mom is retiring on April 1st.
Are you....are you dating my Mom?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Let’s see… I’ve currently got 4 jobs (ack!)
Canada Post letter carrier
Hockey Referee
Senior Motorcycle Instructor
Freelance Graphic Artist.

Have 28 years of experience as a graphic artist, but I was continually running into what could only be ageism. Last time round, over 100 applications, 5 interviews - 3 of which said I had the best technical skills out of all of the applicants, but, I wasn’t a “culture fit.” Everyone interviewing me was in their late 20’s… I’m old enough to be their dad by a small margin. Oh well. Gotta keep hustling!

Hockey Referee

Have 28 years of experience as a graphic artist, but I was continually running into what could only be ageism. Last time round, over 100 applications, 5 interviews - 3 of which said I had the best technical skills out of all of the applicants, but, I wasn’t a “culture fit.” Everyone interviewing me was in their late 20’s… I’m old enough to be their dad by a small margin. Oh well. Gotta keep hustling!

Good aquaitance was a graphic artist for years, became a senior director during the halcyon days in the late 70's 80's when the interweb was new and the ability to integrate art with the internet was voodoo. Went out on his own about 20 yrs ago but being mid 60's for him now meant his client base just didnt mesh with him, he's not 'fresh' or relavent. He's good, just not what they are looking for. He works for a boat builder now doing general labour.

Hockey Referee

Aren't you like 40!? I mean hell we've met plenty of times and it doesn't seem you're much older than me.

Stupid ageism.

In my industry the older guys get all the respect because the 'young guns' don't have the experience (yet).

Aren't you like 40!? I mean hell we've met plenty of times and it doesn't seem you're much older than me.

Stupid ageism.

In my industry the older guys get all the respect because the 'young guns' don't have the experience (yet).
Add about 13 years to your guess!!!

The ability for joe average to go to South Asia via the interweb and collect a workable design , for literally peanuts has really altered that industry. I’m not saying the creative will be good , it’s just better than the average Joe here , so it’s close enough for many .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

As when cheap digital cameras hit ...no one wanted to pay for a pro photog for a while.
Then they learned there was more too it.
My first client from 38 years ago ( he did the graphics for the Toronto Zoo and still works ) and I were talking about the incredible changes over time.
Printers too impacted by off shore production.
Now there are hundreds of templates on line and website of sorts can be up in an hour.

want to make more money without actaully doing anything more ? switch teams , outside sales bigginers class

Yep this. You'll never make decent coin by staying in one company. Salary growth will always be linear till they put you out to pasture. Every time I jumped ship, it was for double my previous salary.

It's a bullsh!tter's game though. You bullsh!t to your prospective employer about how you can sell igloos to eskimos, and the employer bullsh!ts you about how good their product is and how greenfield the market is.

From my experience with graphic design, it has one of the worst ratios of skill/experience vs compensation. Brilliant minds, extremely technically proficient and not making much different than a retail job.
I was working for a place for almost 25 years. The last 3 years were almost unbearable - ownership changed and they butted heads with me regularly. My supervisor was a loud, obnoxious person who relied on the loudness to be listened to. Sigh.

left there for another, seemingly golden opportunity -that lasted 1.5 years before the company laid off half the staff without warning. Couple other jobs that went sideways (1 had a seriously racist owner who would give me the nazi salute daily because I am of German heritage).

Ended up at the post office, kept on teaching motorcycle courses and refereeing. Still do freelance on the side. But that’s pretty small nowadays.

The ability for joe average to go to South Asia via the interweb and collect a workable design , for literally peanuts has really altered that industry. I’m not saying the creative will be good , it’s just better than the average Joe here , so it’s close enough for many .
Well, I will politely disagree with you here.
The stuff from Asia/India is cheap, but technically, isn’t so super duper. I’ve had to fix soooo many of those things in the past.

The labour rates are about 1/10 of the rate here, so yes, that’s a bonus. But then you need people here to fix them or port them to better programs. For example, the files I have fixed seem to use Photoshop for everything. The name itself indicates what the program should be used for. PHOTOS. I could go into the technical side of things, but it’s not necessary. I’m sure you guys get my point.

Yep this. You'll never make decent coin by staying in one company. Salary growth will always be linear till they put you out to pasture. Every time I jumped ship, it was for double my previous salary.

It's a bullsh!tter's game though. You bullsh!t to your prospective employer about how you can sell igloos to eskimos, and the employer bullsh!ts you about how good their product is and how greenfield the market is.
I’ve been fairly good with utilizing this strategy. Not doubling my salary but averaging 10-15% bumps each time.

With the current boom in civil works in the GTA I’m hearing 40-50% bumps for people jumping.

I recently got promoted for a 16% bump, and with OMERS and all that other fun stuff…I’d have to see a minimum of another 40% to move.

But I promised my boss I’d finish this project. Once it’s done…we will see in 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom