Occupations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Occupations

Canuckles

I’m kinda curious what some of y’all do for work I love hearing about other peoples life styles. I think I found myself a solid job for my age I’m 19 and I work full time as a ground operations handler out of Billy bishop airport (if anyone is flying porter outta there shoot me a message and I’ll try to see you off on your journey)

While we have money put away for kids to go to post-secondary education, the way things look now, I will be encouraging them to do a trade. Dont waste years of your life at school and make more than most edumacated folks.

I am torn on this. There was another thread I believe asking about experience in the trades. I have worked and still work directly with people in the construction industry and unions.
It is great in terms of salary and education required.
My only issue is the culture and people in the industry.
I hate being that guy but if I don't think I'd push my daughter to this unless for very specific trades/industries.
My son, no issues as long as we raise him well. I can ensure my son doesn't add to the negative environment but I can't control the others.
No, I do not see big changes happening quickly. Construction is one of the most change resistant environments in all aspects and the young bucks have already learned the bad habits from the retiring group.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and open to reasons or suggestions otherwise.

I am torn on this. There was another thread I believe asking about experience in the trades. I have worked and still work directly with people in the construction industry and unions.
I hate being that guy but if I don't think I'd push my daughter to this unless for very specific trades/industries.
My son, no issues as long as we raise him well. I can ensure my son doesn't add to the negative environment but I can't control the others.
No, I do not see big changes happening quickly. Construction is one of the most change resistant environments in all aspects and the young bucks have already learned the bad habits from the retiring group.

I agree about construction having substantial issues. For many reasons, I would guide them towards repair/r&r. Something like hvac/electrician vs union carpenter.

There are some really good females in the trade but it's tough to deal with the Neanderthals.

A friend runs a small electrical outfit and hired a female apprentice. She was good but he had to let her go because productivity dropped with all the guys hanging around hoping to get a glimpse of skin. Stupid.

The other problem is that if a male journeyman thinks the little girl would never understand he won't even try to teach. The female comes out of the program only being trained on the sissy stuff, setting her up for a fall down the road. "Hired one once and she didn't know anything"

There's more to achieving equality than putting up a poster and changing the label to journeyperson.

Hey @Canuckles, I am a Software Engineer. Happy to answer any questions about my work, experience and industry.

I will say though: I have a passion for it. I've been tinkering with computers and code since I was a teen. I initially thought there was no industry for it in my home country, Spain, so I studied architecture and eventually realized I was coding for fun on my spare time anyway. So I went for it.

I apprenticed in a couple different industries and very quickly came to the same conclusion (and many more). Physical tolls, mental tolls, family tolls, etc. These may have been more tied to those specific jobs/industries however.
I went back to school as a mature student to get further edumacated.
Now I'm a desk jockey.
All in all I think it was the right choice, within a few years my salary caught up to where I would have been otherwise.

Hey @Canuckles, I am a Software Engineer. Happy to answer any questions about my work, experience and industry.

I will say though: I have a passion for it. I've been tinkering with computers and code since I was a teen. I initially thought there was no industry for it in my home country, Spain, so I studied architecture and eventually realized I was coding for fun on my spare time anyway. So I went for it.
That’s really cool I actually went to school for computer systems but dropped out just wasn’t really shtick you know

Accountant here. Trying to land a job in my field as a new immigrant has been challenging.

Right now, I spend most of my free time studying to get certified; it has been a year since I started the process and I'm missing around two more years. So it feels like going back to University. Except that now I should also work 8+ hours a day, and have adult responsibilities.

I was amazed at how well-paid the trades are here in Canada, in my home country trades are not considered well-paid.

Accountant here. Trying to land a job in my field as a new immigrant has been challenging.

Right now, I spend most of my free time studying to get certified; it has been a year since I started the process and I'm missing around two more years. So it feels like going back to University. Except that now I should also work 8+ hours a day, and have adult responsibilities.

I was amazed at how well-paid the trades are here in Canada, in my home country trades are not considered well-paid.
maybe I should have gone that route. Lots of money but I was worried about being bored out of my mind. With the ca/cga/cma merger for better or worse you dont need to make that decision. You would probably have been a working cga by now if that was your desired path though.

Back
Top Bottom