Naked/Sportbike Decision | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Naked/Sportbike Decision

This is the key point. If rides are this short, comfort is much less of a factor than it is for most. I think you can delete many of the bikes listed above as they make far too many handling concessions for comfort. KTM is out, big Kawi is out, existing Beemers are out. Tuono is probably the only one listed, but I'd add the new Ducati Streetfighter V4, and possibly the new BMW S1000R, depending on what it's actually like (could be squishy and light on power, or could be firm and have a fantastic torque curve that doesn't depend on peak power).

Then it boils down to a few things:

- Naked bars have pros and cons vs clip-ons. Better view up the road, more leverage for lighter steering, but harder to hang off with and you're more in the wind.
- The Tuono (and possibly the new S1000R, less so the Ducati) have broader torque curves than most sportbikes, giving you more useful power away from the top third. This has an added benefit of lowering attention from the boys in blue, as you're not screaming everywhere.
- Looks: many try not to let this be too much of a factor, but the reality is that when you open the garage, a good looking bike makes you want to ride it. If it gives you the horn, you're likely to overlook all sorts of minor flaws and truly love the bike. Personally, I really like the look of a sportbike (most, anyway), and do miss that race rep style a bit. There's a fully committed mentality that goes with real sportbikes that has pros and cons, too.

As for comfort, are you actually uncomfortable on a sportbike for short rides like that, or are you anticipating a problem based on how others talk about these bikes? If that's the vast majority of the riding you do, you're different from most (like myself) who are sportbike refugees seeking something less bendy. In other words, are you finding things about riding sportbikes the way you do that actually hurts, or are you worried they may hurt one day? If it's the former, what are your pain points? Wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, back, hips, knees, or ankles? If it's the latter and you're still fine on a sportbike, why change? A good friend of mine is well into his 60's and still rides an RSV4 for weekend scratching, but has a BMW K1300S with over 100,000 km on the odo for long tours. Another in that group is mid-50's and rides a Triumph 675R with no issues, and does occasional weekend tours on it. Just because age is creeping in (join the club) doesn't mean you have to give up sportbikes if that's what you love...
Thanks Priller, seems that you know exactly where my questions are coming from.

Ultimately the points you listed is why I was looking at the RSV4, then have heard the comments on the Tuono on how it has more torque and HP below 10k rpm and so that had me questioning me going the RSV4 route. And the more you read and watch reviews of the bikes it just keeps getting repeated on how the Tuono is better street bike.

I think you would be surprised at what the big adventure bikes can do especially on the road. Not going to win on a racetrack but rediculous cornering speeds are easy.and the comfort is another world no more sore knees.

I have shorter legs, so that wasn't the problem for me. It was my lower back that gave out first. :(

Ultimately the points you listed is why I was looking at the RSV4, then have heard the comments on the Tuono on how it has more torque and HP below 10k rpm and so that had me questioning me going the RSV4 route. And the more you read and watch reviews of the bikes it just keeps getting repeated on how the Tuono is better street bike.
it is the better street bike.

I have shorter legs, so that wasn't the problem for me. It was my lower back that gave out first. :(
For me it was always the legs I have the ktm on the high seat position and love having my legs streched out enough that they don't ache.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I think every newb track day rider has had this thought: "I'll just ride it to the track and ride it home..."

Until the end of that first track day when their quads, core and forearms are jelly. And they're 250-400 kms away from home...
sure, but 400kms on the XR vs the RR is night and day.

I see it first hand with the RR guys on our romps. Highway portion they are all stretching limbs and standing up. By the 4th fill up people are asking who wants a break, i just chuckle.

I think the only answer is to do a test ride. It's a personal enough thing that no amount of road tests, comparos, etc. will ever answer your specific needs. The answers above show that most will project their wants onto yours. Find a shop with an RSV4 and Tuono available, and try them back-to-back to see what fits. Do fourth gear roll-ons, attack a few corners, just see how they fit.

I love my Tuono for what I want, and road testers love them for what they want. But you might still just be a sportbike guy. No need to apologize for that, and no need to change just because others do...

I think the only answer is to do a test ride. It's a personal enough thing that no amount of road tests, comparos, etc. will ever answer your specific needs. The answers above show that most will project their wants onto yours. Find a shop with an RSV4 and Tuono available, and try them back-to-back to see what fits. Do fourth gear roll-ons, attack a few corners, just see how they fit.

I love my Tuono for what I want, and road testers love them for what they want. But you might still just be a sportbike guy. No need to apologize for that, and no need to change just because others do...
Good points. Perhaps I'll have to wait till spring. Only concern is I don't want insurance to end up negating past rider history. Don't know how long it takes till that concern takes effect. As of now, it is fine, but don't want to push my luck too much.

Don't know how long it takes till that concern takes effect
Isn't it continuous years? I thought it was, so any lapse in motorcycle insurance less then a year is safe.

Don't know how long it takes till that concern takes effect
Isn't it continuous years? I thought it was, so any lapse in motorcycle insurance less then a year is safe.
depends on the insurer. mine said 6 months or longer with no insurance and i'd be punted back to noob status.

that's harsh

I think you would be surprised at what the big adventure bikes can do especially on the road. Not going to win on a racetrack but rediculous cornering speeds are easy.and the comfort is another world no more sore knees. You could consider them big supermotos on the right tires.
I'm afraid you don't know what you`re talking about friend.
agreed, he's out of touch or uninformed, which is fine.

XR ran 1 second behind the RR (last gen)

plus you could likely ride it home after.
sure, but 400kms on the XR vs the RR is night and day.

I see it first hand with the RR guys on our romps. Highway portion they are all stretching limbs and standing up. By the 4th fill up people are asking who wants a break, i just chuckle.
Look, just because what this guy is asking for doesn't fit the bill on those bikes doesn't make those bad bikes. Not sure why the need to be so defensive? I may be out of touch or uninformed on many things, but this ain't one of them...

He's made clear he simply doesn't care about doing 400 km days. That's not what he's buying the bike for and it's not why he rides. Can you hustle an S1000XR? Absolutely. Can you make speed with an MTS? Effin' right you can. Is a Super Duke one of the most fun bikes ever made? Without doubt. Can the supercharged Kawi do mega speed with no effort? Damn right. Are all these absolutely amazing motorcycles that do what they're designed to do exceptionally well, and then some? Yes, yes, yes. When Big Poppa was looking at bikes, I argued that the KTM was what ticked the boxes for his needs more than the Tuono, as he wasn't fussed about things like ground clearance, but really wanted a twin that was hairy balls powerful while still being a comfy place to sit. But he wasn't saying he wanted something sporty suited for quick rips, nor was he saying he wanted a sportbike but was considering some minor comfort concessions.

For what this guy is looking for, they also have compromises for comfort, utility, etc, that get in the way of what he wants to do. You can post endless videos of people ripping around tracks and curvy roads on ADV bikes, supermotos, etc, and while impressive, they don't show anything except that the rider is generally more important than the bike. Nobody is putting a supermoto or an ADV bike on a competitive grid because they're simply not faster around a typical race track than a sportbike.

Granted, we're not talking about track riding here, but a lot of the same demands exist: speed, best possible cornering ability, powerful engine, ergos designed to allow body position that keeps the bike as upright as possible. He's obviously an experienced rider, and coming off an RC51 is as aware as anyone of the comfort drawbacks associated with sportbikes.

I will admit, there are lots of folks on sportbikes who could be much happier on something less extreme. A quick perusal of the fat chicken strip selection at a typical cafe stop tells that story well (yes, not the whole story, sure, but if someone owns a sportbike long-term with chicken strips, the odds are high that they're not at the level where the bike's ability is the limiting factor). But there are lots who love the sportbike vibe, and I'm not here to judge. Another good friend rode an 848 for years while never threatening a knee slider. He didn't care. He thought the bike was beautiful, wasn't fussed about comfort, and just liked having it. He rode slow for a couple hours at a stretch on weekends, and then to Cafe Divano to sip a latte (in the afternoon, blech) and admire his bike. More power to him. The bike was a perfect fit for him, even if it's easy to sneer at the pose factor. Would an MTS have served him better? I would say no, as it would have deprived him of the joy of looking at a bike he thought was beautiful, and would have given no advantage for the riding he did.

I'm not saying that's the case for the OP, who sounds like an experienced rider, but sometimes sportbikes are just what people like, even if it's not 'practical'. The reality is that most motorcycles are a far cry from purely practical in Canada, so the pose factor is high for all of us. Even if we seek out hyperpractical bikes like an NC700, that makes a big statement in and of itself. The problem comes when we try to project what we think is cool onto others...

LOL. OP wants a bike to do 30-60 minute rips. Why is anyone surprised that people are recommending ADV bikes?

- you do track days or want to race the bike.

#3 is funny though. Until you have to replace or repair a cracked fairing because of a 0 km tipover. Then, not so funny...
No,

Likely won't ever make it to the track. While I find it intriguing and interesting, there is a whole other level of investment to get to the track, especially when I'm in the Newmarket area and nothing is relatively close.

LOL. OP wants a bike to do 30-60 minute rips. Why is anyone surprised that people are recommending ADV bikes?

versatility, most modern adv bikes are pretty good all rounders, european ones especially do everything well
If you dont believe me, just look at any of @shanekingsley ride reports.

A ktm 790 adventure R will be comfy all day, can rip around like a sport bike, and still be decent offroad

Back
Top Bottom