Naked/Sportbike Decision | GTAMotorcycle.com

Naked/Sportbike Decision

01rc51

For those of you that have spent years riding sportbikes, have gotten a bit older in age and have moved onto naked bikes. Has anyone regretted the decision?

After selling the RC in the summer of 2019 I thought I could move away from riding. But with all these covid times I'm figuring I might as well jump back in.

Just wanted some opinions on the move from sportbike world to naked and if you would do the same again given the chance to do it over again? Or felt maybe, going back to sportbikes would have been more enjoyable.

My riding habits would be quicker weekend short runs. No long touring or anything like that. Just to get out on 30 to 60 min joy runs.

Is this a trick question?
Nakeds all day

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Is this a trick question?
Nakeds all day

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Nope. Just looking for people with similar experience. Just taking into account here that I'm coming from 23 years of being on supersports only.

For 30 - 60 minute blasts......Only a supersport.
I see we have similar mindsets. BUT one thing to put into consideration is that I'm considering an Aprilia Tuono, which isn't your typical naked bike. Could it be a better option for someone starting to see their 50's in the not to distant future?

Nope. Just looking for people with similar experience. Just taking into account here that I'm coming from 23 years of being on supersports only.
now days no one buys superbikes or supersports

ADV bikes, nakeds and supernakeds are plenty capable, provide better ergos, usable power, better insurance rates and more versatility etc

want something sporty but do mild offroad? get an ADV

Want something even sportier but comfy ergos and real world usable power? Get a naked

There's only 3 reasons to buy a supersport/superbike over the naked variant;

1. you like lots of plastic
  2. you`re able to tap into and enjoy that marginal 'performance' benefit of a proper race replica
  3. you don't like money
Nakeds and their more faired cousins that follow below are better tuned for the street, you don't have to wind them up to a billion RPMs before you get the grin on your face. The ergos are more comfortable and the insurance is cheaper. They typically get better fuel range as well.

The Tuono is a good choice, but certainly not the only one for a more faired comfy 'superbike', in no order;

• KTM SuperDuke GT
  • BMW S1000XR
  • Kawasaki Ninja 1000(Z?)
  • Aprilia Tuono 1100
  • Ducati Multistrada 1260
There's a plethora of naked options as well.

Since you asked; as a current owner of the '20 XR, I'd probably go back to naked when I'm done with it. Just a lot of bling on the bike I'll never get constant use out of.

I see we have similar mindsets. BUT one thing to put into consideration is that I'm considering an Aprilia Tuono, which isn't your typical naked bike. Could it be a better option for someone starting to see their 50's in the not to distant future?
I rode busa's until I was 59.
Love the tuono, but after a demo, it didn't work for me. (RSV didn't work either)
With 70 in my sights, an fjr is presently in my garage, but I see something SS in my near future. (another busa)

OP, what are your reasons for wanting a naked bike? There's a big difference between wanting to do it just because you can vs. needing to do it because either your body or wallet can't handle it anymore. In the latter case, there's really no choice.

2. you`re able to tap into and enjoy that marginal 'performance' benefit of a proper race replica
  3. you don't like money
1 is You appreciate some form of protection against the wind and elements. You don't need a 2 & 3

My riding habits would be quicker weekend short runs. No long touring or anything like that. Just to get out on 30 to 60 min joy runs.
This is the key point. If rides are this short, comfort is much less of a factor than it is for most. I think you can delete many of the bikes listed above as they make far too many handling concessions for comfort. KTM is out, big Kawi is out, existing Beemers are out. Tuono is probably the only one listed, but I'd add the new Ducati Streetfighter V4, and possibly the new BMW S1000R, depending on what it's actually like (could be squishy and light on power, or could be firm and have a fantastic torque curve that doesn't depend on peak power).

Then it boils down to a few things:

- Naked bars have pros and cons vs clip-ons. Better view up the road, more leverage for lighter steering, but harder to hang off with and you're more in the wind.
- The Tuono (and possibly the new S1000R, less so the Ducati) have broader torque curves than most sportbikes, giving you more useful power away from the top third. This has an added benefit of lowering attention from the boys in blue, as you're not screaming everywhere.
- Looks: many try not to let this be too much of a factor, but the reality is that when you open the garage, a good looking bike makes you want to ride it. If it gives you the horn, you're likely to overlook all sorts of minor flaws and truly love the bike. Personally, I really like the look of a sportbike (most, anyway), and do miss that race rep style a bit. There's a fully committed mentality that goes with real sportbikes that has pros and cons, too.

As for comfort, are you actually uncomfortable on a sportbike for short rides like that, or are you anticipating a problem based on how others talk about these bikes? If that's the vast majority of the riding you do, you're different from most (like myself) who are sportbike refugees seeking something less bendy. In other words, are you finding things about riding sportbikes the way you do that actually hurts, or are you worried they may hurt one day? If it's the former, what are your pain points? Wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, back, hips, knees, or ankles? If it's the latter and you're still fine on a sportbike, why change? A good friend of mine is well into his 60's and still rides an RSV4 for weekend scratching, but has a BMW K1300S with over 100,000 km on the odo for long tours. Another in that group is mid-50's and rides a Triumph 675R with no issues, and does occasional weekend tours on it. Just because age is creeping in (join the club) doesn't mean you have to give up sportbikes if that's what you love...

OP, what are your reasons for wanting a naked bike? There's a big difference between wanting to do it just because you can vs. needing to do it because either your body or wallet can't handle it anymore. In the latter case, there's really no choice.
It basically comes down to getting older and the back not behaving quite as good as it should Not a big issue now, but who knows what the future brings. I was originally looking at the RSV4 as it seems a bit more comfortable that what the RC was. But seems the Tuono maybe that more comfortable and easier on the body than a SS. Not really interested in the more sport touring type as listed by Evoex. To add to that, would be looking for something more unique. So going with a typical inline 4 Japanese bike isn't really on the list either.

So basically considering an RSV4, Tuono, SuperDuke, Streetfigher, Panigale, something along those lines.

This is the key point. If rides are this short, comfort is much less of a factor than it is for most. I think you can delete many of the bikes listed above as they make far too many handling concessions for comfort. KTM is out, big Kawi is out, existing Beemers are out. Tuono is probably the only one listed, but I'd add the new Ducati Streetfighter V4, and possibly the new BMW S1000R, depending on what it's actually like (could be squishy and light on power, or could be firm and have a fantastic torque curve that doesn't depend on peak power).

Then it boils down to a few things:

- Naked bars have pros and cons vs clip-ons. Better view up the road, more leverage for lighter steering, but harder to hang off with and you're more in the wind.
- The Tuono (and possibly the new S1000R, less so the Ducati) have broader torque curves than most sportbikes, giving you more useful power away from the top third. This has an added benefit of lowering attention from the boys in blue, as you're not screaming everywhere.
- Looks: many try not to let this be too much of a factor, but the reality is that when you open the garage, a good looking bike makes you want to ride it. If it gives you the horn, you're likely to overlook all sorts of minor flaws and truly love the bike. Personally, I really like the look of a sportbike (most, anyway), and do miss that race rep style a bit. There's a fully committed mentality that goes with real sportbikes that has pros and cons, too.

As for comfort, are you actually uncomfortable on a sportbike for short rides like that, or are you anticipating a problem based on how others talk about these bikes? If that's the vast majority of the riding you do, you're different from most (like myself) who are sportbike refugees seeking something less bendy. In other words, are you finding things about riding sportbikes the way you do that actually hurts, or are you worried they may hurt one day? If it's the former, what are your pain points? Wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, back, hips, knees, or ankles? If it's the latter and you're still fine on a sportbike, why change? A good friend of mine is well into his 60's and still rides an RSV4 for weekend scratching, but has a BMW K1300S with over 100,000 km on the odo for long tours. Another in that group is mid-50's and rides a Triumph 675R with no issues, and does occasional weekend tours on it. Just because age is creeping in (join the club) doesn't mean you have to give up sportbikes if that's what you love...
I think you would be surprised at what the big adventure bikes can do especially on the road. Not going to win on a racetrack but rediculous cornering speeds are easy.and the comfort is another world no more sore knees. You could consider them big supermotos on the right tires.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I'm afraid you don't know what you`re talking about friend.

3. you don't like money

- you do track days or want to race the bike.

#3 is funny though. Until you have to replace or repair a cracked fairing because of a 0 km tipover. Then, not so funny...

I think you would be surprised at what the big adventure bikes can do especially on the road. Not going to win on a racetrack but rediculous cornering speeds are easy.and the comfort is another world no more sore knees.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
agreed, he's out of touch or uninformed, which is fine.

XR ran 1 second behind the RR (last gen)

Last edited:
It basically comes down to getting older and the back not behaving quite as good as it should Not a big issue now, but who knows what the future brings. I was originally looking at the RSV4 as it seems a bit more comfortable that what the RC was. But seems the Tuono maybe that more comfortable and easier on the body than a SS. Not really interested in the more sport touring type as listed by Evoex. To add to that, would be looking for something more unique. So going with a typical inline 4 Japanese bike isn't really on the list either.

So basically considering an RSV4, Tuono, SuperDuke, Streetfigher, Panigale, something along those lines.
fair enough!

Back
Top Bottom