Naked/Sportbike Decision | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Naked/Sportbike Decision

So, we’re talking about something fun for the street. Where you start breaking laws at 80kmh on any road that’s fun... or as you shift out of 2nd on $5000 300cc sport bike that kicks out 35hp... right?

Needed for 30-60 minute joy rides, right? I’m thinking an R3, Ninja 300 or Duke 390. If you can ride, you will humble 1/2 the litre bikes you meet in twisties, then laugh as they whip by you in the straights.

Riding a small bike fast is way more fun than riding a fast bike slow.

For those of you that have spent years riding sportbikes, have gotten a bit older in age and have moved onto naked bikes. Has anyone regretted the decision?

After selling the RC in the summer of 2019 I thought I could move away from riding. But with all these covid times I'm figuring I might as well jump back in.

Just wanted some opinions on the move from sportbike world to naked and if you would do the same again given the chance to do it over again? Or felt maybe, going back to sportbikes would have been more enjoyable.

My riding habits would be quicker weekend short runs. No long touring or anything like that. Just to get out on 30 to 60 min joy runs.
Nakeds all day, especially suited for your riding requirements. I own a 2018 Honda cb650f , I have shad 23 litre cases on it. And I have been on some pretty long days (800 ish km) on it. I also have a vfr800 in my garage but most of the times I reach out for the keys of the naked one. (Sounds silly now I read it :))

"Versatility" is the word when it comes to nakeds.

Personally, I am a sucker for inline 4 but lots of great choices out there.

Here is some inspiration for you..
1c9913ad6f5f480f2e276b97f87d2538.jpg
38ee10eb81aa76dd23cd9ee7f2314e4f.jpg
6cde9241946882d990f6c9d55f8ffb29.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, we’re talking about something fun for the street. Where you start breaking laws at 80kmh on any road that’s fun... or as you shift out of 2nd on $5000 300cc sport bike that kicks out 35hp... right?

Needed for 30-60 minute joy rides, right? I’m thinking an R3, Ninja 300 or Duke 390. If you can ride, you will humble 1/2 the litre bikes you meet in twisties, then laugh as they whip by you in the straights.

Won't be willing to take that type of step. Coming from a unique, larger displacement, classic as the RC51 I was looking for experiences on making a move to either something similar, or possibly something a bit more comfortable with, let's call it, similar "soul" and character.

While anything can be ridden fast by the right rider, and yes I have descent riding skills and no "chicken strip" in sight, I'm looking for something more inspiring and unique.

:unsure: RC51 was Honda's version of a Ducati race bike, so if you are looking for a more 'comfortable' race bike you might want to try a solo sport touring motorcycle, that's the closest thing you will find to a high performance motorcycle that is reasonably comfortable to ride on the street. They are also boring as all **** to ride most of the time, unless endless miles of just sitting there and watching the scenery go by fast excites you.

... how do you Not have chicken strips on a street bike? :unsure: Did you sand them off with a belt sander or do numerous loops around your local traffic circle in both directions?

:unsure: RC51 was Honda's version of a Ducati race bike, so if you are looking for a more 'comfortable' race bike you might want to try a solo sport touring motorcycle, that's the closest thing you will find to a high performance motorcycle that is reasonably comfortable to ride on the street. They are also boring as all **** to ride most of the time, unless endless miles of just sitting there and watching the scenery go by fast excites you.

... how do you Not have chicken strips on a street bike? :unsure: Did you sand them off with a belt sander or do numerous loops around your local traffic circle in both directions?
Not so much "looking" for something more comfortable, but was considering it, and was originally asking, for those that did make the move to naked or super naked, did they regret that decision and wish they had stuck to the SS genre

... how do you Not have chicken strips on a street bike?

It's called the Dragon ;)
Otherwise I agree... no chicken strips on a street bike is pretty silly due to crazy riding or very poor street technique (i.e. lean the bike but keep yourself upright and in the middle).

It's called the Dragon ;)
Otherwise I agree... no chicken strips on a street bike is pretty silly due to crazy riding or very poor street technique (i.e. lean the bike but keep yourself upright and in the middle).
Depends on the lack of chicken strips on the front or back.

Back is easy.

Front is playing with fire.

I still have a cm of unused front tire. Rear is gone at 50+°

Time, place, and proper conditions.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Not so much "looking" for something more comfortable, but was considering it, and was originally asking, for those that did make the move to naked or super naked, did they regret that decision and wish they had stuck to the SS genre
Yes I did!
Went from an '06 ZX-6R to an'04 Z1000 and didn't like the riding position one bit. Too upright with too much wind in my chest area which makes the muscles at the back of my shoulder blades sore as hell after a few hours riding. I never had any aches of pains from riding my SS so I was rather surprised (and not pleasantly) with the change. Actually been thinking about switching back to something smaller and in the SS category. I should get on that next year cuz not really enjoying the current ride much. As someone said earlier, more fun to ride a small bike fast that a big bike slow! I don't do multi-day touring and I don't ride anything but paved roads. Just not my thing.

A couple of points:

Technically a lot of ADV bikes today have less fairing than some of the newer "nakeds". The new Tuono 660 coming out has practically the same amount of plastic that the RSV4 has. But I get it, it's more the bars, pegs and the upright seating position than the lack of plastic.

So if it boils down to comfort, what about lowering the pegs and installing helibars/convertibars on the RC51, or any other full-faired sportbike that catches your fancy? People have been doing that for ages and if you want to go back to stock for whatever reason, it's a cheap and easy re-install.

A couple of points:

Technically a lot of ADV bikes today have less fairing than some of the newer "nakeds". The new Tuono 660 coming out has practically the same amount of plastic that the RSV4 has. But I get it, it's more the bars, pegs and the upright seating position than the lack of plastic.

So if it boils down to comfort, what about lowering the pegs and installing helibars/convertibars on the RC51, or any other full-faired sportbike that catches your fancy? People have been doing that for ages and if you want to go back to stock for whatever reason, it's a cheap and easy re-install.
Some good points. Unfortunately I let the RC go Aug 2019, but something to consider if I go the RSV4 route.

this before or after you bought the busa?

Random thoughts from someone who only owns sport bikes.

I know several people who have a BMW S1000R (the single R), and they all really like them. It's nominally de-tuned from the full S1000RR but the difference is meaningless on a street bike.

Everyone that I know who has a FZ07/FZ09/MT07/MT09 likes them once the fuel delivery (early FZ09) and suspension are sorted out.

I know a few who have/had an Aprilia Tuono, and they also really liked them. I test-rode one ... bonkers bike. Too much for the owner of that bike, who couldn't stop crashing it, and ended up fixing it and selling it. He needs something smaller despite not wanting something smaller.

On my overseas trips, so far every rental bike has been some flavour of a BMW F800. The ST (full fairing) and the R (naked) each work just as well as the other. These are not sport bikes but they work fine. I'd never own one because they sound awful and the powertrain "works" but lacks excitement. I put 2000 km on a F800GS and did not like it one bit. Too tall, too soft, too squishy, too vague, and despite being so tall, insufficient cornering clearance for pavement riding ... centerstand scrapes because the suspension is so rubbish. Journalist reviews of that bike are all glowing with praise ... but every single one of them is written as if pavement hadn't been invented yet. Dirt/offroad is not my thing.

A lot of the smaller sport bikes are really standard bikes dressed up with sport clothing. R3, CBR300/500/125, Ninja 300/400 are all like that.

If I were in the market for something interesting today for something in between underpowered and outrageous ... the Aprilia 660 has my interest.

If I were in the market for something interesting today for something in between underpowered and outrageous ... the Aprilia 660 has my interest.
This is a really good call, though the OP would probably want to budget for some K-Tech or equivalent bling to get the most out of one. Apparently the stock shock is a bit soft and basic, and forks at that level can always do with a good piston kit. Ticks the comfort box, has all the gadgets one could want, and would be great for quick twisty rides.

Doesn't quite hit the exclusivity quotient that the RSV4 or Panigale do, but I can (sadly) pretty much guarantee there won't be many on the road...

Went through a few sport bikes myself
03 and 05 RC51s were in the mix
now riding a 08 SV650A naked, WR250X and CRF230L
much cheaper to own and ride and obviously less focused
I miss my supersports but I don't miss the bills that go along with them
to "go faster" lean forward and pretend you are tucked behind a fairing
remember speed limits are the same for everyone, sports bike, dual sport, adv bike, etc
have fun twisting the throttle

The Royal Enfield INT650 intially caught my eye - good price but no close dealers.
Now trying to decide between the Z650 Kawasaki and the SV650A Suzuki.
Price is virtually the same, Suzuki is older tech but more accessories available.
Oh well, its a long time until spring...

Went through a few sport bikes myself
03 and 05 RC51s were in the mix
now riding a 08 SV650A naked, WR250X and CRF230L
much cheaper to own and ride and obviously less focused
I miss my supersports but I don't miss the bills that go along with them
to "go faster" lean forward and pretend you are tucked behind a fairing
remember speed limits are the same for everyone, sports bike, dual sport, adv bike, etc
have fun twisting the throttle
Guess its a bit hard to explain from my side, it isn't so much about "going faster", its just the overall experience, thrill, sound, intimidation that goes along with the larger bikes.

this before or after you bought the busa?
Both. Ive always kept a small bike in the stable for local hops. If I only had 1 bike and never did days over 500km, it would be a 300 standard. I didnt mind the odd 1000km day on my Ninja 250.

The Busa was more of a middle age stupid purchase. Fun, but stupid.

Now trying to decide between the Z650 Kawasaki and the SV650A Suzuki.
Had a paddock neighbour at Calabogie this fall who was doing trackdays on his Ninja 650. He said he absolutely loved the bike with one big exception: it vibrated like crazy. Enough that it ruined the bike for him and he was planning to sell this winter.

It seems to bother some more than others, but it's definitely something to be aware of with that variation on a parallel twin...

Had a paddock neighbour at Calabogie this fall who was doing trackdays on his Ninja 650. He said he absolutely loved the bike with one big exception: it vibrated like crazy. Enough that it ruined the bike for him and he was planning to sell this winter.

It seems to bother some more than others, but it's definitely something to be aware of with that variation on a parallel twin...
I've ridden them both - maybe the vibes are an issue on the track but I doubt it on the street.

Maybe there was something wrong with that particular bike, because that's not a known issue with those or any other late model Japanese bike with that cylinder layout. My R3 is also a 180 degree parallel twin with a balance shaft, and it is a pretty smooth running engine.

Back
Top Bottom