Naked/Sportbike Decision | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Naked/Sportbike Decision

I've ridden them both - maybe the vibes are an issue on the track but I doubt it on the street.
Triumph added a 660 triple, Trident, in that price range.
Triumph is also saying dependable, test engineering, low TCO a lot these days. I’m guessing they are trying to align and target Japanese bike buyers AND poke a little fun at the Eurobike competitors.

Last edited:
Went through a few sport bikes myself
03 and 05 RC51s were in the mix
now riding a 08 SV650A naked, WR250X and CRF230L
much cheaper to own and ride and obviously less focused
I miss my supersports but I don't miss the bills that go along with them
to "go faster" lean forward and pretend you are tucked behind a fairing
remember speed limits are the same for everyone, sports bike, dual sport, adv bike, etc
have fun twisting the throttle
Yeah!
03274528fc6bd14f7687c64bcd41d9c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I've ridden them both - maybe the vibes are an issue on the track but I doubt it on the street.
His issue was specifically for street riding, said it became unbearable after about an hour at steady rpm. He'd tried gel grips, bar end weights, rubber footpegs, all to no avail. A quick Google of 'ninja 650 vibration' suggests it's not just him, but there's just as many posts saying people have no issue, so it may be unique to some bikes, or just some folks being more sensitive to it than others.

May also just be the Ninja, not the Z. Not sure if they have different engine mounts. Regardless, if it's not an issue for you, then no harm, no foul...

I seem to be following in your footsteps when it comes to bikes. I’m looking to sell my Yamaha Venture and pick up a WR250X that comes with both the dirt and supermoto wheels!
Do it. Twins!

I have a dirt set-up for it too.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

For those of you that have spent years riding sportbikes, have gotten a bit older in age and have moved onto naked bikes. Has anyone regretted the decision?

After selling the RC in the summer of 2019 I thought I could move away from riding. But with all these covid times I'm figuring I might as well jump back in.

Just wanted some opinions on the move from sportbike world to naked and if you would do the same again given the chance to do it over again? Or felt maybe, going back to sportbikes would have been more enjoyable.

My riding habits would be quicker weekend short runs. No long touring or anything like that. Just to get out on 30 to 60 min joy runs.
Always ridden sportbikes myself for like almost ever. Traded a Ducati 848 and a Aprilia Shiver plus some cash 2 years ago on a Ducati Multistrada, best decision I ever made. I'm 60 now and it's super comfy, more upright seating, and bags of get up and go. I told the wife it would be the last bike I'll ever need. Not too sure if she actually bought that.

His issue was specifically for street riding, said it became unbearable after about an hour at steady rpm. He'd tried gel grips, bar end weights, rubber footpegs, all to no avail. A quick Google of 'ninja 650 vibration' suggests it's not just him, but there's just as many posts saying people have no issue, so it may be unique to some bikes, or just some folks being more sensitive to it than others.

May also just be the Ninja, not the Z. Not sure if they have different engine mounts. Regardless, if it's not an issue for you, then no harm, no foul...
I know the Ninja and the Vulcan S have different crankshaft phasing, not sure about the Z.

Always ridden sportbikes myself for like almost ever. Traded a Ducati 848 and a Aprilia Shiver plus some cash 2 years ago on a Ducati Multistrada, best decision I ever made. I'm 60 now and it's super comfy, more upright seating, and bags of get up and go. I told the wife it would be the last bike I'll ever need. Not too sure if she actually bought that.
1260S?

2014 1200S. Saw it at the bike show January 2019, at the Apex Cycle display. Brand new machine had been sitting in a crate in their warehouse for 5 years that they had misplaced. It was discounted $6400, down to $18000. I had to have it. Always wanted one since the redesign in 2010.

2014 1200S. Saw it at the bike show January 2019, at the Apex Cycle display. Brand new machine had been sitting in a crate in their warehouse for 5 years that they had misplaced. It was discounted $6400, down to $18000. I had to have it. Always wanted one since the redesign in 2010.
sweet deal!

18k otd?

How do you like it having had it for a little while now?

I love it. Super comfy to ride, more upright sitting, which is much better for my back. I've got just over 10000 km on it now before I put it to bed for the winter. Dressed it up with quite a bit of carbon. Higher windscreen on it, should be getting my new exhaust next week. Having a decat done on it. Probably have it put on a dyno after it's finished if I can find one not too far away.
I've tried to upload some pics of it but I guess the file is too big and won't load. Any suggestions about that would be great.

For those of you that have spent years riding sportbikes, have gotten a bit older in age and have moved onto naked bikes. Has anyone regretted the decision?

After selling the RC in the summer of 2019 I thought I could move away from riding. But with all these covid times I'm figuring I might as well jump back in.

Just wanted some opinions on the move from sportbike world to naked and if you would do the same again given the chance to do it over again? Or felt maybe, going back to sportbikes would have been more enjoyable.

My riding habits would be quicker weekend short runs. No long touring or anything like that. Just to get out on 30 to 60 min joy runs.
I don't regret it one bit. 3 GSXR 600's and 2 GSXR1000's and now on a Ducati Multistrada 1200S. Love the MTS. It's all-day comfy but still 160hp and light and could do a trackday just fine.

Back
Top Bottom