Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

The only issues I've had riding the Wee, is that when cruising along with bigger bikes, and passing in an 80 mph hour zone, you need a bit of a run up for the pass. On some of the bigger bikes you simply whack the throttle open and a way you go. I only noticed it while riding with a friend who was on his VTX. I imagine, but haven't confirmed that this would be even more so with the CB500X.

I never noticed it much, If I need more speed I gear down and pass, never have to really plan an over take. Now since the SV650, for 2 years this is all I rode and adjusted to, I did get to ride a guys KTM 990 at work, and let's just say, the CBX's power got put into perspective real quick :rolleyes:

I never noticed it much, If I need more speed I gear down and pass, never have to really plan an over take. Now since the SV650, for 2 years this is all I rode and adjusted to, I did get to ride a guys KTM 990 at work, and let's just say, the CBX's power got put into perspective real quick :rolleyes:
I only noticed it with this one guy's riding style, when following him. He would cruise up behind someone really close, then engine brake with no brake lights until he was going slower than them, then do his shoulder check, signal, lane change, accelerate, pass, and then mirror check, etc. back in. Some of the time I'd end up on top of him and braking when he pulled out, so I'd have to downshift to pass, whereas he wouldn't. My approach was to mirror check and signal, accelerate, and change lanes, long before I was on top of the vehicle in front. Once I communicated the issue, it was resolved for the most part.

I noticed you used to have a fz09 as well. What made you get rid of it and how come you changed to the sv? Both great bikes though.

The only issues I've had riding the Wee, is that when cruising along with bigger bikes, and passing in an 80 mph hour zone, you need a bit of a run up for the pass. On some of the bigger bikes you simply whack the throttle open and a way you go. I only noticed it while riding with a friend who was on his VTX. I imagine, but haven't confirmed that this would be even more so with the CB500X.
You have to be a hooligan on a the big VTX to stay with a Wee. A Wee will accelerate from 80mph to 100mph in less than 4 seconds, a VTX1800 (the big dog) isn't even close -- they take 6+ seconds to run a pass from 80 to 100mph.

I also ride an FJR, I can confirm on a romp the WEE isn't running with those bulls. But on spirited ride a good Wee rider won't be embarrassed (or late for the first pour).

If you have 6 years or more, married and are over 30 it's not too bad. The only bike I've had in the 4 digit category was a GSXR1300, and that was still less than a buck/cc. My TS125 enduro is a real bargain, just $234/yr.

really?
relationship status affects insurance rate?
not trying to be argumentative
just seems like a BS thing to have in the equation

really?
Sad but true. Survey says insurance companies favor castrated bulls.

I noticed you used to have a fz09 as well. What made you get rid of it and how come you changed to the sv? Both great bikes though.

At the time I used to get insane insurance, and wasnt financially feasible, the SV was much more affordable, and as I later realized more than enough bike for me.

really?
Sure, you're considered more responsible (less apt to take risks) when you have a family.

One word.

GLADIUS
Just a question somewhat related, do you guys buy bikes based on looks too or just utilitarian? I agree with some comments on the Honda's 500 twin character, though, One of the reasons I got it was because the V-Strom was just too ugly for me to look
I've just read someplace....

After you park your vehicle and start to walk away, if you don't look back at her and admire it......you've bought the wrong one.

I feel that way about 3 of my four vehicles.

The fourth is a winter beater Civic.

But what if said vehicle that you admiringly look at causes your knees and wrists/upper body to ache if you ride it for more than 20 mins tho?

But what if said vehicle that you admiringly look at causes your knees and wrists/upper body to ache if you ride it for more than 20 mins tho?
Take a break and look at it for 10min. Ride again and repeat lol.

Gladius is comfier sv650. I can vouch for it. Only thing lacking is masculinity but it can undergo surgery for not too much money.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Almost every single motorcycle I have ever owned in my life I have felt like would not be able to ride it for more that 10 minutes due to the riding position upon first ride and second ride. I've owned many bikes in my 50 years of riding bikes.

They all get better to the point I can ride all day long on any sport bike.

Right now I feel like my RC51 was made for me. But the first week I was sure I was not going to be able to ride it to work for an hour one way.

Same thing you do with a wife. Get a new one.

The answer is, yes. When i rode with a group of SS and 750s in a spirited group ride, i was WOT most of the way (which is somewhat of a great feeling) but speeds were lower than what mentioned above. Even with sprocket change (to increase upper speed) you're capped at about a 180km/h zone.

Yup, I sold the SV650 when Aviva decided to drop riders without 6 years experience and jack up the rates, so got the CB500X, well turns out just because the bike is newer and since I was still under the 6 year mark, plus only Echelon would insure me, they could give whatever rate they wanted, and did. I'm not even close to triple digits :cry: Living in Mississauga (kanetix red zone doesn't help). I wanted to get a dirt bike to ride till I hit 30, insurance said even that insured would count as a gap. tbh, looking at all the rates you guys have and drops even with a gap, that would have been the smart thing to do.

Wow, i'm mississauga too... i got my license about 6-7 years ago. Buuuut...my bike is a MY2013 (that i bought brand new in 2014-15), and i've had some tickets too...

i don't think my multi line discount would make such a big difference. I'm with TDMM as well

Curious why there has been little opinion/mention of the bandits on the list

Curious why there has been little opinion/mention of the bandits on the list
I had a 99 1200 bandit, all day comfort, torque near idle. I haven't tried any of the newer models.
I spent some time with the new T7 at Dewildt powersports in Innisfil last Saturday. I really like it. I really want it. I'd have to sell the husky and the Versys to get it. I'm not sure I'm ok with selling the husky right now. The versys would be gone in a heartbeat for the T7. It fits me like a glove.
d62510be58848db009b61a7b98a21b65.jpg
2afb8c54c6173e97750efebcae0c5327.jpg
e63a6f86d5ed78a386d6010e3633fe0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I would probably break the foot pegs :ROFLMAO:

I had a 99 1200 bandit, all day comfort, torque near idle. I haven't tried any of the newer models.
I spent some time with the new T7 at Dewildt powersports in Innisfil last Saturday. I really like it. I really want it. I'd have to sell the husky and the Versys to get it. I'm not sure I'm ok with selling the husky right now. The versys would be gone in a heartbeat for the T7. It fits me like a glove.

sh!t
now I have to go see that bike
have a feeling that's going to create a problem

Nice! Got one on pre-order when announced, arriving May/June, will sell the CBX between now and then, waited 4 years for this bike! Was at VOS motors a while back too

Like I said loved the 2007 Bandit. Had a 2003 Bandit 600 before getting the 2004 Wee. Only changed because my wife liked the passenger seating on the wee better. Only complaint on the 2007 Bandit it seemed like it needed 8 gears not 6. Just seemed it need and could have used the extra gears. Lots of power.

Back
Top Bottom