Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

From your first post it sounds like a sv650 with a set of helibars or a handlebar conversion would be the ideal bike for you.

Of your list I would pick either the FZ6 or CB599. I feel like when I was interested in those bikes back in the day they were top of their class. Basically SS bikes tamed down a little but with good components (suspension brakes etc) still.

I know insurance is a consideration but I would get quotes on a 2nd gen FZ1 and maybe a SV1000 since you liked your 650 so much.

If I was buying a do it all (spirited riding, some touring, commuting and maybe a couple track days) for under $5000 the only bike I’m going to look at is 2nd gen FZ1. Always wanted one of those.

Fixed it.

Wouldn't put the CB500X with those contenders in terms of power or feel. Honda's CRF250 Rally is what competes with those. CBX is a middle weight. I've had no issues touring and clocking over 16,000kms on the CBX, never felt it low on power, even when fully loaded with camping gear or overtaking on fast hwy's down USA. Even 2 up with the gf.
If you're running at cruising speeds then a 500x is enough for most riders. Remember the payload for fuel, riders and kit is about 400lbs -- OPs a big fella, with him, riding gear and full tank he's only 90lbs from the max weight of the bike.

Just look at the physics of power to weight, there isn't a hope he could keep up with any 650 ADV on hilly or twisty runs. Add a bit of spirit to the ride and all hope disappears.

I don't know his riding style or preferences so I can't really judge, I know it would be a no-go for me.

Since I can’t comment on anything but the CBX....I’ve had the 500F and the Rebel 500 and while good and decent bikes....neither of them really excited the senses.

They are great tools....but neither got me horned up when it was time to ride. But comfortable, dependable, and efficient at doing what they do.

@Mad Mike Im 6'2 250lbs I dont like to put bikes into categories, but if I had to, id say a naked/adv would be best
Sometimes knowing what you DONT want in a bike is more important than knowing what you want, liked everything about the SV, just not the clipons/ergos, id likely be doing local runs, along with a few touring runs to the states....throw in some advanced learning courses and a few track days that i might also do....off road I like to explore fire roads/mild gravel...although I suspect any bike on the list can probably do that.

I just got off the phone from dalton timmis...got a bunch of quotes and my rates seem to have dropped off...considerably...Feels like yesterday that I was starting out and getting outrageous quotes, maybe its because im 30 now, and i asked for liability only but damn I guess getting old has its perks :ROFLMAO:

They quoted me TRIPLE DIGITS on a cbr500 ya'll....TRIPLE DIGITS! :eek:
I double checked with the broker to make sure, and he said yes they guarantee the rates...at least for 30 days.

Granted none of the bikes are firebreathing dragons or over 650..or supersports...but still..

hate to say it
but you sound like a future V-strom owner

while I find that bike terribly boring
it is the only one on your short list that ticks all the boxes

FZ6 is probably the best all round bike I've owned
but with low ground clearance
and a 180/55 ZR17 on the rear
they are pretty useless off-pavement

I dont get it, if they're so terrible why on earth are they so popular then?
Its the same engine as the SV, but with comfy ergos and probably more weight

I like the SV650s to but hate the ergos to. Loved my 2004 Naked SV650 but missed all the storage my Vstrom had. Went 2004 DL650, 2004 SV650N, 2007 Bandit 650 now back to a 2015 DL650A. I do find the Bandit more comfortable than the DL650. If you really like the SV650S try

UFiXZmA.gif

VL3znJ5.gif

Think Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Reliable, all around competent, doesn't do anything bad, just no fizz

I had an older V-Strom 650 for a summer. It was kind of bland, ride-wise and style-wise.

The newer V-Strom 650XT looks pretty sharp - but that's cause they've pretty much stolen all the styling off the BMW GS: beak, 19" front, spoked wheels. Haven't ridden it yet.

$10K brand new, though. Before taxes. Kinda steep. Another couple of grand and you can have yourself the real deal from BMW.

cheap and reliable touring bike
does everything pretty well
except get yer ya-yas out
can leave it sitting with key in it
won't get stolen

can leave it sitting with key in it
won't get stolen

LOL.
If our insurance rates were based on this factor that would be great.

All the go you want and just inside your budget.

$_59.JPG

Yamaha really got these sorted before they moved to the triples. My son did 10k in 3 weeks on his FZ8 2013 - Shad seat when we went xcountry in 2015.

Otherwise Vstrom 650 but nowhere near the zing. FZ6 might be a good choice too.
No thrill in the CB500x but it will do better than the non-riders think in the twists against a Vstrom 650 and go past all of them at the fuel pump and insurance cost. :D

Last edited:
hate to say it
but you sound like a future V-strom owner

while I find that bike terribly boring
it is the only one on your short list that ticks all the boxes
I used to think that way too, boring and uninspiring. Until I owned one. Ugly? That's a matter of opinion I guess.

When I was shopping for an ADV in 2017 rode a GS 650, MultiS, and a KTM 690 Enduo -- I didn't even want to try a Vstrom. All of a sudden a 1 year old Wee-X with 27K popped up on Kijiji for $5500 - I immediately grabbed a mittful of cash, my riding gear and a helmet and took a bus to Cornwall. The bike was a good deal, I figured it iI didn't like it I could off it and loose nothing.

I bought it, rode it home through 3 hours of driving rain. I had my bag, 2 extra seats, a winter cover, @ 2 new tires strapped to the bike. After the first hour of riding I started to really like the bike. From there it got better -- I fell in love with the thing. I regularly swap rides with others, I still prefer the wee over any other mid-weight ADV I have ridden. I have tried the big ADVs and don't much care for them -- when I need that much ooomph, I'm riding on roads and prefer a litre+ standard or ST.

I think they are popular for the following reasons:
1) Economical - to buy, operate, and maintain and there are tons of aftermarket accessories at fair prices
2) They handle the highway and twisties like a standard, while providing rough road handling like an enduro. You will not be left behind, even when travelling with big STs.
3) As dependable as hammer.

I rode my buddies CB500X

What a snorefest.

Lol and i get it.
But low insurance cost and a bike that's basically an all rounder that comes in under budget .. might do it.

I did a whoooole other thread about how i was getting jaded about motorcycle riding and the motorbike might be part of the problem!

But it might be just enough for the 'itch' he mentioned he has.

The oddball element in the CB500x is despite the "stats" ....they are fun to ride...every review has said the same and when I first tried one in 2013 at Rock the Red...the guy that had the other one said he just wanted to point it to the horizon and keep going.
I was very surprised it stood up to Vstrom 650 in that 2013 test and also surprised at the high speed handling this summer. 700-900 km days for a week and some at 130+ and it still sipped fuel.
All the reviewers like the light feeling and "fun" aspect.
It's a good solo bike especially for smaller riders .low insurance and crazy good mpg.
You have to be willing to shift and keep it in the 6-7k range for good performance in the twists. Light weight helps the braking.

Bit of a throwback bike to earlier generations....minimal anything on it.....but cheap to buy and cheap to ride and still fun.

After what the OP had tho....still think an inline something would be better and the Vstrom for his size plus an un-burdened Vstrom 650 can be ridden very hard.....not so fond of it at above 120 tho. They are bullet proof.

Just a question somewhat related, do you guys buy bikes based on looks too or just utilitarian? I agree with some comments on the Honda's 500 twin character, though, One of the reasons I got it was because the V-Strom was just too ugly for me to look

Just a question somewhat related, do you guys buy bikes based on looks too or just utilitarian? I agree with some comments on the Honda's 500 twin character, though, One of the reasons I got it was because the V-Strom was just too ugly for me to look
No. But having said no, there is a reason i have never owned a Pacific Coast or a Burgman.

your loss :coffee:

I don't really give a rat's ass what the bike looks like as long as it performs as expected and is uber reliable.

Now having owned 3 Black Vstrom 650s.....they still are fugly.

Some of the newer ones look decent.

Last edited:
The oddball element in the CB500x is despite the "stats" ....they are fun to ride...every review has said the same and when I first tried one in 2013 at Rock the Red...the guy that had the other one said he just wanted to point it to the horizon and keep going.
I was very surprised it stood up to Vstrom 650 in that 2013 test and also surprised at the high speed handling this summer. 700-900 km days for a week and some at 130+ and it still sipped fuel.
All the reviewers like the light feeling and "fun" aspect.
It's a good solo bike especially for smaller riders .low insurance and crazy good mpg.
You have to be willing to shift and keep it in the 6-7k range for good performance in the twists. Light weight helps the braking.

Bit of a throwback bike to earlier generations....minimal anything on it.....but cheap to buy and cheap to ride and still fun.

After what the OP had tho....still think an inline something would be better and the Vstrom for his size plus an un-burdened Vstrom 650 can be ridden very hard.....not so fond of it at above 120 tho. They are bullet proof.
One thing I did notice about the Wee is handling changes alot if you increase the size of the windscreen. I upgraded to a Madstad 18, dirty wind does impact the bike noticeably -- returning to the stock shield with the Madstad brackets calms her down.

As for fuel economy, you can't expect a Wee to be as efficient as a 500x - a Wee kicks out 43% more HP and 95% more torque. Thing is, if you pace a Wee alongside a CB500x, the fuel mileage is similar -- I rode Ottawa to Toronto with a CB500x and ran just 3.9l/100 on my Wee. The difference is I had gobs of extra power on demand, of course my mileage drops when I choose to use it.

Strike a balance. A GS500E is comfortable, reliable, economical, and still makes more power than something like a Ninja 300... but boy is it dull. On the other hand, the riding position of a stock SV650S ruins the bike for me. It's fun and great up until I would have to ride it for more than an hour. (I am 6'1" for reference)

DL650 styling has grown on me over the years. Form following function is an appreciable aesthetic on its own

Back
Top Bottom