Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

Not sure if you are considering new bikes, but if you are concerned about avoiding the purchase on the last year of a current design (change to a new design in the year after you buy).

If so then consider, the VStrom 1000 has a major refresh/redesign for 2020. Suzuki tends to leave the VStrom designs alone for 3 or 4 years, and when they change a VStrom model they never change both the 1000 and the 650 in the same year. The VStrom 650 I believe is on it's third year for the current design, so there may be a major redesign in 2021.

going from an FZ09 torque monster
to ~ 50HP Honda 500 parallel twin would be a real downer
Try 125 single Grom! :LOL:

If you post more info, you will get some better advice -- otherwise it's just gonna be ever ones favorites and dislikes.

Your height/weight
Riding: Annual KMs of city, weekend day rides, distance touring
Terrain: Road & Dirt
Other preferences: Preferred category (ST, ADV, Cruiser)
Styling likes/dislikes
Your tinker-ability

His budget is 5 grand
and he currently does not have a motorcycle.
His user name is big poppa so I'm guessing he's big.

lol it's Wong not Wang and his budget would't cover it although I hear he does now own a truck
(y) so for him, owning a competition dirt bike suddenly became an option.

the current Gen SV650 can be had for just over your $5000 budget for sure. That is a sweet bike for the $ and great on insurance (as opposed to my other recommendation which would be FZ-07). The V-Strom 650 would be super comfortable but a little less track day worthy to be sure.

Ohh this is not a Harley thread...(not yet anyway) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Good luck on your recovery, and Santa knows what you want for Xmas, have fun shopping for a ride!

I met a fellow this summer on a Ninja 650. He couldn't have been happier with it.

Not knowing how enthusiastic you are about doing your own maintenance perhaps choose a brand that has a dealer you like or is relatively close by.

Myself, I'd try to buy as new as possible.

another vote for cb500x because....well i'm biased

I've done some mini one-day tours
I've done some light offroading
And i use it now as a commuter.

It's a blast at first... then it gets kinda predictable.
But it'll be easy on insurance. Comfortable on longer distances. Very good handling. Big aftermarket market.

Otherwise there's the fz07 although you'll have to slightly mod to make it a tourer.

I have owned two bikes on your list

- FZ6, 90+ HP, super fun bike to ride, can go touring, or whatever else. Amazing all around bike. Underseat exhaust is sexy and won't set your bum on fire
- V-Strom 650, somewhat boring to ride, ugly, plain. Good bike for touring if you want to ride to California on a whim, or at least dream of it. Advantage of the V-Strom is you can buy one fully setup for touring for $2500-3000, best value going in a touring bike

Last edited:
If you want to test ride a bigger Hornet send me a PM when it's warmer out. It might not be the greatest bike in the world but it might clarify/verify what you're looking for

@Mad Mike Im 6'2 250lbs I dont like to put bikes into categories, but if I had to, id say a naked/adv would be best
Sometimes knowing what you DONT want in a bike is more important than knowing what you want, liked everything about the SV, just not the clipons/ergos, id likely be doing local runs, along with a few touring runs to the states....throw in some advanced learning courses and a few track days that i might also do....off road I like to explore fire roads/mild gravel...although I suspect any bike on the list can probably do that.

I just got off the phone from dalton timmis...got a bunch of quotes and my rates seem to have dropped off...considerably...Feels like yesterday that I was starting out and getting outrageous quotes, maybe its because im 30 now, and i asked for liability only but damn I guess getting old has its perks :ROFLMAO:

They quoted me TRIPLE DIGITS on a cbr500 ya'll....TRIPLE DIGITS! :eek:
I double checked with the broker to make sure, and he said yes they guarantee the rates...at least for 30 days.

Granted none of the bikes are firebreathing dragons or over 650..or supersports...but still..

@Mad Mike Im 6'2 250lbs I dont like to put bikes into categories, but if I had to, id say a naked/adv would be best
Sometimes knowing what you DONT want in a bike is more important than knowing what you want, liked everything about the SV, just not the clipons/ergos, id likely be doing local runs, along with a few touring runs to the states....throw in some advanced learning courses and a few track days that i might also do....off road I like to explore fire roads/mild gravel...although I suspect any bike on the list can probably do that.

I just got off the phone from dalton timmis...got a bunch of quotes and my rates seem to have dropped off...considerably...Feels like yesterday that I was starting out and getting outrageous quotes, maybe its because im 30 now, and i asked for liability only but damn I guess getting old has its perks

I double checked with the broker to make sure, and he said yes they guarantee the rates...at least for 30 days.
What other bikes have you had or tried?
Maybe try something different?

Triple digit could mean from 100 to 999, hopefully better than 999 on cbr500.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

got quotes on all of them(except the z750 perhaps) and they were all what I would consider reasonable. the CBR500r was the lowest at like $800/year? and the only one in triple digits.

Still, feels good

The CB500X is the same as the R, just upright ergos. I'm 6", 180lbs, if you fit on the R, the X will be a tad more spacious. Let me know if you ever want to see the X up close. Some good rates you got!

I just got off the phone from dalton timmis...got a bunch of quotes and my rates seem to have dropped off...considerably...Feels like yesterday that I was starting out and getting outrageous quotes, maybe its because im 30 now, and i asked for liability only but damn I guess getting old has its perks :ROFLMAO:

Granted none of the bikes are firebreathing dragons or over 650..or supersports...but still..
OK we;re getting closer.

I can only think of a few I'd own that can tick the boxes, particularly if you're 6'2 & 250.

You're withing the load capacity of most bikes, but probably pushing it for anything under 650cc if you're touring with gear. The bike's are gonna handle it and be in budget, but the power to weight will be an issue for Versys300, GS310, CB500X, KTM390 small ADVs when touring.

If you are looking at gravel and fireroads, most bikes will do those too, but the light and middleweight ADVs do them better. Modern ADVs are not your dad's dualsport (XR, DR, KLR), they will hang with Hornets, FZ6, ER6 and SVs. KTM 690, GS 650 are going to be 10 years old and sporting 50km+ to be in the price range, Versys and DL650 5 years old with 40K or less are plentiful.

You might also look at the bigger dogs -- a Versys 1000 and DL1000 will be in the same price range as their 650 sisters -- you might be surprised how little the difference ins in insurance -- for me it was $60 between a DL1000 and DL650. They might also get you ready for that R1250GS you might be dreaming about!

OK we;re getting closer.

I can only think of a few I'd own that can tick the boxes, particularly if you're 6'2 & 250.

You're withing the load capacity of most bikes, but probably pushing it for anything under 650cc if you're touring with gear. The bike's are gonna handle it and be in budget, but the power to weight will be may an issue for Versys300, GS310, KTM390, CRF250 Rally, small ADVs when touring.

Fixed it.

Wouldn't put the CB500X with those contenders in terms of power or feel. Honda's CRF250 Rally is what competes with those. CBX is a middle weight. I've had no issues touring and clocking over 16,000kms on the CBX, never felt it low on power, even when fully loaded with camping gear or overtaking on fast hwy's down USA. Even 2 up with the gf.

Fixed it.

Wouldn't put the CB500X with those contenders in terms of power or feel. Honda's CRF250 Rally is what competes with those. CBX is a middle weight. I've had no issues touring and clocking over 16,000kms on the CBX, never felt it low on power, even when fully loaded with camping gear or overtaking on fast hwy's down USA. Even 2 up with the gf.
Agreed.The CRF250 Rally is junk.My Toro has more power and my MTD has better suspension.Buy what turns you on.You only go around this thing once.Sure a CB500X is practical.But so is Prep H.

another vote for cb500x because....well i'm biased

I've done some mini one-day tours
I've done some light offroading
And i use it now as a commuter.

It's a blast at first... then it gets kinda predictable.
But it'll be easy on insurance. Comfortable on longer distances. Very good handling. Big aftermarket market.

Otherwise there's the fz07 although you'll have to slightly mod to make it a tourer.

I rode my buddies CB500X

What a snorefest.

Back
Top Bottom