Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

both are model mature, well respected bikes
don't think you'd go wrong either way

except:

under-tail exhaust is dead-nuts sexy

bwogxKT.jpg

and then there's this

OKbTUop.jpg
I owned an FZ6 and never understood the under tail exhaust. Why do want weight up high?

I owned an FZ6 and never understood the under tail exhaust. Why do want weight up high?
Because drunk chicks will sneak up behind you and try to hump it!

Well, 9 pages of responses but what the heck. Why not add one more! With the exception of the Z750, all of the bikes you listed are in the same realm as far as performance, reliability, and cost are concerned. Depending on the year, most have versions available well under your $5k price cap. If you take the time to search out the right one, you will find a very well cared for example with one or two owners and it may even be well farkled, bonus! If it were me, I the Vstrom and the Bandit would top my lists. I have owned a Bandit 600 and was very happy with it for almost a decade. I only swapped it out because I had the means to, not because I was unhappy with it. They are comfortable and good all around bikes that can easily tour. I nearly bought a Vstrom the last time I was in the market for a bike and would be very happy to own one. The tall seat height would be nice around town to give you a better view of the traffic around you and their comfort and reliability are legendary. Very easy bike to tour on too.

None of the bikes you listed will do ALL of the things you listed very well. All will do well as commuters and for riding around town. The Vstrom, Versys and Bandit will do better for the touring end of things while the Z750, Ninja 650 etc will do better for track days (although still won't wow you on a track with their stock suspensions).

One other option to give a serious look at that others have mentioned is the CB500x. It gives you more oomph that a 300 but not as much as a 600. While the lesser power may not be as exciting, the insurance price may be enough of a difference to make you not care. They are very capable bikes and excel at commuting and light to moderate touring.

too late he bought a bike
That's o.k., it can be a reminder/suggestion in six months after he's ridden the fz for a while.

Who ever tired of paying ridiculous insurance premiums for their automobile, home and more importantly your MOTORCYCLE give me a call !!!
Wrong thread....

Anyways, fz6 is nice. I wish test rides were easier to come by. It was my second choice on my last bike dilemma.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Narrowing it down...bike will likely be an fz6 or a gsx650f(bandit)

Anyone know the octane for the fz6?
Online manual said something about "research octane rating" of 91...but owners seem to say 87 is good?
RON 91is the and as pump octane 87/86.....

I miss my FZ6---great bike, silky smooth I4 power
and the gentle whine of a Yamaha gear box

only had a couple of issues - snatchy throttle
really only noticeable in first gear - so best to get out of it quickly

and heavy clutch pull
not sure if you can still find them
but there was a clutch slave lever kit - made by a guy went by killer noodle I believe
did a pretty good job at reducing the clutch lever force

edit:
looks like the current solution is to install the slave lever from an MT07

Congrats

Now , time for mods and farkle’s

Feeling such a strange feeling right now, I feel like I can "move on" with my life now..as if time had decided to freeze and stand still when I didnt have a bike...now that I have a bike in the garage, its decided to "unfreeze". I can think of/do/focus on other things in life...like starting a business or start looking for/saving up for a house or other aspects of life ...feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and part of my mind has been 'freed up'

whereas before I was perpetually thinking about bikes..consciously or subconsciously

Not having a bike is like being in the longest weirdest episode of the twilight zone.....

I swear I am not drunk/high or under the influence of any substance.

Like I was mentally spinning my wheels in one place...there's a coworker who has experienced the same, guy hasnt ridden in a while and never does anymore, but wont sell his bike, just knowing its there in the garage gives him some peace of mind..

A happy slave is a productive slave?

taking the cover off in the middle of winter
and spending some quality time with your baby is suggested
you can sip on a beer, and whisper sweet nothings to her

Yeah FZ6 good choice...never noticed the staff getting premium. Nice bike and he did some decent distance with it and had fun in the twists.

Like I was mentally spinning my wheels in one place...
Anything heavy on your mind can have that effect. I probably have one every time there is an important event to deal with. Doesn't have to be major either. A under $200 car repair was weighing on me recently...waiting for parts from an Amazon seller that got delayed and hearing the grinding in the car. Feels weird now, as if waiting for the other shoe to drop....almost feels like something is missing....well technically, it is missing(the grinding noise is gone).

Back
Top Bottom