Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

Narrowing it down...bike will likely be an fz6 or a gsx650f(bandit)

Anyone know the octane for the fz6?
Online manual said something about "research octane rating" of 91...but owners seem to say 87 is good?
I’d happily ride either of these. You’re a big guy, check the GSX1250Bandit, they are counterbalanced and I’ll bet a very small insurance premium over the 600s. You can pick up nice low mileage bikes with touring gear for under 5k

Both are great bikes!!
Love the undertail exhaust on the fz6.
Both should easily be available in your budget too. Good luck with the search.

You could ride that Suzukee for a few years and then sell it for close to the same price.

I'm partial to the looks of the FZ6 much more and would guess that it handles better and pulls harder, but I've never ridden either.

both are model mature, well respected bikes
don't think you'd go wrong either way

except:

under-tail exhaust is dead-nuts sexy

bwogxKT.jpg

and then there's this

OKbTUop.jpg

Both bikes will be reliable but I think the Yamaha will be more fun to ride and the Suzuki more pedestrian/boring. Smile factor is what keeps you wanting to go riding, so even if it is a bit more $ I’d say go for the Yamaha. Otherwise you’ll spend $2500 for something that sits in your garage. Just my opinion, obviously.

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Both those bikes are close in spec and performance - it would be a toss up for me. The Yamaha will have an advantage on handling and acceleration, the Suzuki on ride comfort and and should be a little less twitchy in the handling department. Style advantages are in the eye of the beholder.

Price wise Suzi's are almost always less expensive than the competing Yamaha, can't explain why -- best guess its because Suzuki doesn't invest much into styling their bikes so they often look older than they are. Cost of ownership should be similar, both are rock solid reliable with cheap spares.

If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket... go buy one! They won't get any cheaper between now and the spring AND if you are locked into a model now, you can get any bike specific stuff cheaper over the winter, particularly the January and Spring bike shows.

Always get insurance quotes first.

At that price range and condition you can't go wrong.

Personally I'd prefer the Yamaha for all the reasons pothers have noted, but I'd have one reservation with the undertail exhaust.

When I had my KTM 950 adventure I found that the hot exhaust gasses would gather around my lower back. Most times this didn't matter but sometimes it was hot enough to be irritating. I didn't have that problem on my 990 SMT. There was still some heat but not enough to be bothersome.

It's possible that my arse was wider when I had the 950, and I obviously have no idea of the dimensions of your backside but just something to keep in mind.

You really can't go wrong with either, and it's giving me the itch to go bargain hunting too.

but I'd have one reservation with the undertail exhaust.

When I had my KTM 950 adventure I found that the hot exhaust gasses would gather around my lower back. Most times this didn't matter but sometimes it was hot enough to be irritating. I didn't have that problem on my 990 SMT. There was still some heat but not enough to be bothersome.

What you experienced was the undertail exhaust doing what it was supposed to do.
On a street bike, at street bike speeds, an undertail exhaust is PURELY aesthetic, 100% for looks and posing value... besides roasting your butt.
An undertail exhaust is an "anti drafting" device.
As you ride, you create a vacuum behind you as you punch a hole through the air. It takes HP to push the air out of the way infront of you, and it takes HP to drag that vacuum along behind you.
an undertail exhaust pumps exhaust gases into that vacuum thereby reducing that vacumm, thereby reducing the need for HP to pull it along... end result: both bikes go faster.

... on a street bike; all they do is roast your butt.

Put down the deposit on the fz6, will be picking it up when the safety is done

That’s a really cool bike. A ton of bang for the buck as well. Congrats on buying it, hope you have an awesome season next year.

Back
Top Bottom