Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

My kids here, all got jobs on the spot, at the local Food Basics. One has since moved to Home Depot. Both are still looking to hire more, as is the Starbucks, Tim Hortons and a couple of bars, at the least.

My kids here, all got jobs on the spot, at the local Food Basics. One has since moved to Home Depot. Both are still looking to hire more, as is the Starbucks, Tim Hortons and a couple of bars, at the least.
Great jobs that might not be on the higher pay scale, for getting experience and get something on the resume. Awesome

My first job was as a cashier at food basics (3 years) back in 1995. Loved that job. Saw all the hot girls, learned to talk to clients, good manager and team.
Next job was at the Beer Store (3 years) and also a Jaguar dealer (7 years- PT/FT)
One summer worked the 3 together. Only for 1 summer as I couldn’t maintain that.
Biggest financially smart, but socially dumb, decisions was to stay home during university. Saved a fortunate and graduated debt free.

@george__ have you tried applying to Netflix?

From a facebook comment, I haven't fact checked it.
"what Software engineers are doing in Netflix? Netflix is not a software. They need data engineers, analysts and scientists to run machine learning algorithms etc. But I don't knkw about software engineers"

"almost, at staff/principal level. They used to exclusively hire senior engineers, so the pay scale would start at 450k, but this year they started hiring entry-level engineers for ~350k"

@george__ have you tried applying to Netflix?

From a facebook comment, I haven't fact checked it.
"what Software engineers are doing in Netflix? Netflix is not a software. They need data engineers, analysts and scientists to run machine learning algorithms etc. But I don't knkw about software engineers"

"almost, at staff/principal level. They used to exclusively hire senior engineers, so the pay scale would start at 450k, but this year they started hiring entry-level engineers for ~350k"
That's real, not new in software -- but uncommon. I kinda look at it like sports or music -- 100,000 kids playing hockey to produce an NHLer, 1,000,000 kids million kids playing guitar to make a rock star. Like pro athletes, rock stars, actors, business execs -- there are that fraction of a percent that is so far ahead of the rest that they are worth every penny.

I have only met one such person in the software world, in 1995 we paid him 5x his peers. I figure his work generated 100x the profit so he was a good deal.

If you like working outside and have experience in horticulture, grounds maintenance or landscape construction, then City of Toronto is hiring again for their Parks division. Probably hiring between 100-200 employees to start in April/May.

Arborists as well being hired into Urban Forestry:

If you like working outside and have experience in horticulture, grounds maintenance or landscape construction, then City of Toronto is hiring again for their Parks division. Probably hiring between 100-200 employees to start in April/May.

Arborists as well being hired into Urban Forestry:
I look at this and wonder what the small landscaping company owner is thinking when the "Govt" starts competing with him/her for employees.

A quick indeed search shows that grounds crew for golf courses and lawn maintenance companies are looking for help in the $18-20/hour range, vs the City (parks handyworker) at $28.37/hr - about $8-10 above what private companies are recruiting at, and $4-5 more than what private companies are advertising for crew leads.

Don't get me wrong, I never suggest employers drop wages or begrudge someone who picks up a gov't job - but I do scratch my head when the gov't scatters the people's money around to the detriment of hard-working small businesses.

(no offense intended Shane... just feeling a bit overtaxed today!)

That rate also doesn't include benefits and all the other good stuff.

I don't think the small business owner is too worried as the City will have thousands of applications for a handful of positions. The rest will be stuck working for lower wages at the private businesses. Not saying it's right, but IIRC my friend told me that CoT has thousands of applications for each posted role. They get their pick.

I look at this and wonder what the small landscaping company owner is thinking when the "Govt" starts competing with him/her for employees.

A quick indeed search shows that grounds crew for golf courses and lawn maintenance companies are looking for help in the $18-20/hour range, vs the City (parks handyworker) at $28.37/hr - about $8-10 above what private companies are recruiting at, and $4-5 more than what private companies are advertising for crew leads.

Don't get me wrong, I never suggest employers drop wages or begrudge someone who picks up a gov't job - but I do scratch my head when the gov't scatters the people's money around to the detriment of hard-working small businesses.

(no offense intended Shane... just feeling a bit overtaxed today!)
It's a fair comment Mike.
I know when I worked in the private industry for years before my time w/ the city, my boss who was the business owner would often comment that she could not compete with the compensation package that the city offered. 13 years ago, she was paying me $22/hr and I wasn't a crew lead, so there are many landscape employers paying bottom tier wages. When it became clear I had reached a ceiling at her company, she told me to apply for the city. She made up for her inability to pay more, with aggressive staff development opportunities and creating a great workplace culture, but I got tired of working from sun up til sun down with little to show for it. I applied to the city and started at $25.50/hr which I felt was fair compensation for the work I performed. I worked harder than I did in the private industry, but the hours were 40/hr week.

In my opinion, that kind of work is physically taxing and I wish that all employees were paid more than $18-20/hr (unless they have no experience), because this industry has long underpaid for physically hard work that breaks bodies. I wish that smaller business owners could afford to pay their landscape employees more, because there is way more demand for employees than many other industries and they should be able to set higher fees for their clients. I know it's not that simple, but still....

Isn't this how public sector jobs work?

I notice the same thing at the hospital less specialized role (admin, janitor etc) people make more there than private. But if you are specialized (developer, IT etc) you make more in private ...

I notice the same thing at the hospital less specialized role (admin, janitor etc) people make more there than private. But if you are specialized (developer, IT etc) you make more in private ...

100% correct. Highly specialized workers stick in public sector for stability, pension, vacations, etc. With all the changes to equality pay we had recently now a yard mechanic on the same scale as DB administrator. It's not good or bad IMO - it's just a fact...

I don't think govt job pays calls are matched to private sector, they should be, or possibly lower.

I firmly believe the private sector should not have to compete for talent with a govt, and test govt should not use the peoples money to pay more than market rates for anything, including labour.

While I'm glad gir her, my SIL had a job as a phone receptionist at a family clinic that paid her $22/hr. Not unreasonable for unskilled work in small-town Ontario. She landed the same job at a local hospital at almost $30/hr, about the same as an RPN nurse.

She would have gone to the hospital job for the MF 9-5 + benefits alone as would have plenty of local qualified phone answeres. The 35% hourly premium had no business basis, I just see it as poor stewardship of the peoples money.

100% correct. Highly specialized workers stick in public sector for stability, pension, vacations, etc. With all the changes to equality pay we had recently now a yard mechanic on the same scale as DB administrator. It's not good or bad IMO - it's just a fact...

Yeah I used to think the defined asset pension was amazing but the salary difference makes me wonder

@Mad Mike - interesting perspective

My new company is hiring Jr. systems admin and a shipper/receiver for night shift.

Tier 1 automotive at Steeles/Weston rd.

Last edited:
Only for a weekend but maybe someone would want the opportunity to work on a race team.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-185251_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-185251_Facebook.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom