Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

Applied to numerous entry level part time positions like cashier and stuff but no replies

Where is this labour shortage 0_0?
You may be overqualified when they see your CV. Happens lots.

I've been passed up for jobs when they talked to me and said 'this is way below your level'. They may feel you're using it as a temp job and jump ship at the first opportunity.

Yes and no. An over qualified person will typically jump ship the minute a better opportunity shows up.

Why should the employer hire, train, and rely on someone that’s just using them as an interim in between jobs? Waste of their time and resources.
Agreed, that it may be the career behaviour in most cases i.e. the "over qualified" using a lower scale job as an "interim".
But it is not always the case and smart HR should be able to filter that. May be the person is seeking a career change or has decided to take a lower level job to better balance family and work time.
Assess the candidate and avoid generalizations.

Last edited:
Agreed, that it may be the career behaviour in most cases i.e. the "over qualified" using a lower scale job as an "interim".
But it is not always the case smart HR should be able to filter that. May be the person is seeking a career change or has decided to take a lower level job to better balance family and work time.
Assess the candidate and avoid generalizations.
I'll agree 100% with you that this should be made clear. But we know that many people won't admit to needing a job as an interim while they're waiting for something better to come along.

In this case, @george__ indicated that he is looking for further work as a cashier...to me that seems interim until something better / more $ comes along. But I could be 100% wrong.

Meh, high turnover is the expectation with low skill/low wage labour. Whether it’s the Engineer filling a gap during layoff, or the high school dropout that got enticed to Amazon for another $1/hr.

You may be overqualified when they see your CV. Happens lots.

I've been passed up for jobs when they talked to me and said 'this is way below your level'. They may feel you're using it as a temp job and jump ship at the first opportunity.
Most companies that have HR departments will filter candidates based on qualifications. The choke on the filter opens and closes with the need or urgency of the hire. Most will lower the bar for unqualified workers first, there's a better chance they can be upskilled than trusting an overqualified candidate will stick it out.

Tip: If you're going for a job that's way below your qualifications, get ahead of the situation by making it crystal clear as to what attracts you to the job. Employers may consider you more if if you explain why you are after the job. Something like "I'm looking for a position that has work life balance..." or "I'm interested in a career change, and am prepared to take an entry level position in right company because I'm confident in my ability to rise thru the ranks". Make it believable, relate it to the field of work or industry -- even if it's not true.

Most companies that have HR departments will filter candidates based on qualifications. The choke on the filter opens and closes with the need or urgency of the hire. Most will lower the bar for unqualified workers first, there's a better chance they can be upskilled than trusting an overqualified candidate will stick it out.

Tip: If you're going for a job that's way below your qualifications, get ahead of the situation by making it crystal clear as to what attracts you to the job. Employers may consider you more if if you explain why you are after the job. Something like "I'm looking for a position that has work life balance..." or "I'm interested in a career change, and am prepared to take an entry level position in right company because I'm confident in my ability to rise thru the ranks". Make it believable, relate it to the field of work or industry -- even if it's not true.
Also, in Georges case, presumably he is looking for evening and weekend hours and not daytime hours. Putting that in the cover letter may help his cause.

wow is that really a thing, maybe I should test it out.

I guess it works.
So if they give you the job are you gonna take it?
And more importantly how long are you going to keep it!?

EDIT: Got a call last night from BC to see if I'm interested in uprooting to BC...160k. Don't think it's worth the effort to uproot the entire family for a 2 year job. Too bad it's not here in Ontario, I'd snap into that role with no issue.

And more importantly how long are you going to keep it!?

EDIT: Got a call last night from BC to see if I'm interested in uprooting to BC...160k. Don't think it's worth the effort to uproot the entire family for a 2 year job. Too bad it's not here in Ontario, I'd snap into that role with no issue.

Maternity leave will buy you time to come back ^_^

I agree. Your parents are getting older. Losing two years with them now is worth more than money (and presumably you'd fly back a few times a year to see them which would eat into the extra money you made).

When my wife graduated we looked into a fly-in job on a reserve for her. The math didn't make sense. Sure, it paid better but if I went with her, my income would suck and cost of living was really high so as a family we would have less disposable income than living in normal civilization.

Back
Top Bottom