Helmet attachments allowed? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet attachments allowed?

Hmm... I'm actually surprised I pegged this on the first page. I figured there would be a backaswords rule hidden somewhere. All you can do is carry a second helmet, and that is a pain in the ***, because if he takes your helmet and you cannot legally ride anymore they will have no choice but to tow and impound your bike. It won't matter if you argue, you'll pay just like the street racing law and never get that money back even if you beat the charge in court.

I think it might be just a small town thing but in the GTA, i seen all sorts of stuff on ppl's helmets and drive by cops all the time. ( horns, tails, lights, goggles, fur, etc etc)

I have yet to see metal spikes....

I think it might be just a small town thing but in the GTA, i seen all sorts of stuff on ppl's helmets and drive by cops all the time. ( horns, tails, lights, goggles, fur, etc etc)

I have yet to see metal spikes....

It's more dependant on if someone ****** in the particular cops cheerios. Everyone has bad days, the cop can take your helmet and bike if he is in a particularily bad mood.

I've consulted an OPP constable on another forum about the issue (out of curiosity, not planning on getting one for myself) and he also cited the "hard smooth outer shell" bit.

So what about something like this? It's DOT approved. I have the same one but a different colour. The spoiler is designed such that it snaps off relatively easy in the event of a collision.

Icon_Airframe_Helmet_Gloss_Silver_zoom.jpg

Also, couldn't you technically push your bike out of the way without a helmet? Like the closest parking lot, as opposed to having it impounded? This would seem like a better thing for everyone except the tow company and the lot..

So lets get this straight... by the officers reference of definition, No modern hi performance helmet would be DOT legal? It is pretty hard to find a helmet that is all a smooth hard surface. Most have air ducts (not smooth) plus spoilers (not smooth again).

I really think the officer is grasping at straws here. It sucks that you would have to go to court (give him OT) to prove him wrong.

just some. You get some on a power trip and they make it a pain for the good ones

The problem is that the good ones never say anything because of the blue line. They leave the rotten ones in there to spoil the whole stew.

but that is a debate for another thread.

The problem is that the good ones never say anything because of the blue line. They leave the rotten ones in there to spoil the whole stew.

but that is a debate for another thread.

I think the problem is too much Union protection for the bad apples. If we could get rid of the small percentage of corrupt idiots in the force and start focusing on policing real issues (this is more of a political issue) I think the public's faith in the police could be reestablished.

Sorry, I should have posted the sheet that the Sgt. copied for me. It's a little long.

Highway Traffic Act
Code de la route

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 610
SAFETY HELMETS
Consolidation Period: From February 11, 2003 to the <!-- TRANSIT - HYPERLINK --><!-- .http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/navigation?file=currencyDates&lang=en. -->e-Laws currency date.
Last amendment: O.Reg. 38/03.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. A helmet worn by a person,
(a) riding on or operating a motorcycle; or
(b) operating a motor assisted bicycle,
on a highway shall,
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and
(d) be undamaged from use or misuse. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 1.
2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the,
(a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;
(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;
(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute; or
(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer’s certification of compliance with the standard. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2.
3. A helmet worn by a person operating or riding a bicycle on a highway shall,
(a) have a smooth outer surface, be constructed so that the helmet is capable of absorbing energy on impact and be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and
(b) be undamaged from use or misuse. O. Reg. 411/95, s. 1.
4. (1) The helmet referred to in section 3 shall conform to the requirements of one or more of the following standards:
1. Canadian Standards Association CAN/CSA D113.2-M89 (Cycling Helmets).
2. Snell Memorial Foundation B-95 (1995 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use with Bicycles).
3. Snell Memorial Foundation B-90 (1990 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling).
4. Snell Memorial Foundation B-90S (1994 Supplementary Standard for Protective Headgear for Use with Bicycles).
5. American National Standards Institute ANSI Z90.4-1984 (American National Standard for Protective Headgear for Bicyclists).
6. American Society for Testing and Materials ASTM F1447-94 (Standard Specification for Protective Headgear Used in Bicycling).
7. British Standards Institute BS 6863:1989 (British Standard Specification for Pedal Cyclists’ Helmets).
8. Standards Association of Australia AS 2063.2-1990 (Part 2: Helmets for Pedal Cyclists).
9. Snell Memorial Foundation N-94 (1994 Standard for Protective Headgear: for Use in Non-Motorized Sports).
10. United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) 16 CFR Part 1203 Safety Standards for Bicycle Helmets. O. Reg. 411/95, s. 1; O. Reg. 38/03, s. 1 (1).
(2) The helmet shall bear the mark of the standards authority or the mark of the manufacturer showing that the helmet meets the prescribed standard. O. Reg. 411/95, s. 1.
(3) A reference to a standard in subsection (1) includes any amendments made to the standard, whether made before or after February 11, 2003. O. Reg. 38/03, s. 1 (2).
5. A person who is 18 years old or older is not required to comply with subsection 104 (2.1) of the Act. O. Reg. 411/95, s. 1.

Thanks everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I decided yesterday to visit the local cop shop with helmet and mohawk in hand. Not with bike, but with car. I talked to the Sgt. in charge and asked him about it. He had a good laugh, but said right away that it is not allowed and show me the rule in the Highway Traffic Act book - Ont. Reg. 610 - Safety Helmets (page #799)
1. A helmet worn by a person,
(a) blah blah
(b) blah blah
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material blah blah blah....etc.
Basically, he said it has to be smooth with no attachments. He said I was lucky that the officer that stopped me did not take my helmet because most of them are taken. I never thought to ask him about the two way radios.
I personally feel that the rule is a bit of a stretch, but I would like to keep my helmet and like anyone needs another reason to be stopped.
Again thanks for everyones help.

What about helmets (most) that have air vents that can open and close?

I have a helmet like the one below. There are air vents as well as a slider to drop and retract the sun visor. It makes the outer shell hard, but not smooth. Does this mean that it's illegal to use even though it's DOT approved?

HJC-FS-10Profil.jpg

why is this even an issue? who REALLY cares if he's wearing a mohawk on his helmet? why is it that our tax dollars are allowed to pay for this?

What about helmets (most) that have air vents that can open and close?

I have a helmet like the one below. There are air vents as well as a slider to drop and retract the sun visor. It makes the outer shell hard, but not smooth. Does this mean that it's illegal to use even though it's DOT approved?

Hey Dweeber I have the same helmet. Do you have any other tinted shades for the internal visor?? If so...it would be great if you could let me know where you got it, I'm looking for a visor with a darker tint.

Janice

why is this even an issue? who REALLY cares if he's wearing a mohawk on his helmet? why is it that our tax dollars are allowed to pay for this?

Why is this an issue? Because a police officer pulled him over.

Who REALLY cares...? Aparently the cop cared. Threatened to take his helmet too.

Why is it that our tax...? Because despite the fact that you have the right to vote you really don't get to chose what happens after the ********* gets into office.

Hey Dweeber I have the same helmet. Do you have any other tinted shades for the internal visor?? If so...it would be great if you could let me know where you got it, I'm looking for a visor with a darker tint.

Janice

I've only got the stock visor, it works fine for me. I checked, and this website seems to be one of two places to get a different sun visor.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/a...eries+Replacement+Parts/accessories597709.htm

From the looks of it, they have the stock tint (dark smoke), a lighter smoke and a high-def. The high-def has a yellow tint.

image_31412.jpg

Even with the mohawk....the helmet still has a hard, smooth outer shell....shouldn't matter if I put a car on my head...the helmet still has a hard smooth outer shell....:dontknow:

Guelph is a small city, so the likely-hood of the same cop seeing him again is fairly high.
I haven't even been looking and I've seen him, and his mohawk, already....at least I'm pretty sure it was him.

By the way, if it was indeed you I saw, Wellington and Imperial always has police hanging around. Next time I see you, I'll stop and introduce myself.

Oops, didn't see his location.

But for goodness sake, wear the thing if you want to. It would be interesting to see what section of the HTA the cop cites as your infraction.

Back
Top Bottom