Helmet attachments allowed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet attachments allowed?

rocketrc51

Site Supporter
I was riding today with my 'mohawk' attached to my helmet and was stopped by the Police and told to remove it. The Officer said that "nothing is allowed to be attached to a helmet and if it is permanent you will lose your helmet". Luckily, it was not permanent and he made me remove it after inspecting. He said if I attach it again, the helmet will be taken. Is this true and if so, where is it written and what else is not allowed.

Last edited:
In all likelyhood if you read the instructions for the helmet it would say that you are not to modify the helmet, perhaps arguing that the addition conflicts with the DOT standards that the helmet must meet. Even if this is not the case the cop could argue that it could fall off and become an obstruction on the road, even if you've had it on for hundreds of kms and never had a problem.

I spent a little while looking for regs on tinted visors at night and could not find anything that really deals with unusual helmet laws. If the cop pulls you over and decides that it has compromised the DOT standards he could issue you a improper helmet ticket and even if he doesn't take the helmet you cannot legally ride the bike and they can tow and impound it until you get "proper" gear.

Stupid but that's looking at worst case.

Found a good reference.

http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/...59889e/4/frame/?search=browseStatutes&context=

1. A helmet worn by a person,
(a) riding on or operating a motorcycle

(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and

That might be where they nail you.

A fuzzy mohawk stuck on does not negate that law. Go ahead and put the thing back on if you like it. The chance of the same cop catching you again is very slim. He just didn't like the thing and was making arbitrary judgments.

under what authority could he even confiscate it?!

Put it back on and if any cop gives you trouble go fight it. Fight for your freedom to wear that. The judge will think the cop is an idiot for wasteing the courts time with such a stupid ticket that he'll more than likely throw it out. It happened to me when I had my plate in the window instead of my front bumper. and wear can I get one of those? I'll wear one too.

Reminds me of my old high school principle, the guy tried to lecture and guilt trip me into cutting my mohawk. I don't think he would have any grounds for confiscation. What next he'll make you remove that twisted sister pin! on your UNIFORM!?!?

:happy3:

A fuzzy mohawk stuck on does not negate that law. Go ahead and put the thing back on if you like it. The chance of the same cop catching you again is very slim. He just didn't like the thing and was making arbitrary judgments.

Guelph is a small city, so the likely-hood of the same cop seeing him again is fairly high.
I haven't even been looking and I've seen him, and his mohawk, already....at least I'm pretty sure it was him.

By the way, if it was indeed you I saw, Wellington and Imperial always has police hanging around. Next time I see you, I'll stop and introduce myself.

I agree with the guys wear it, there is way too many laws against us - in California you dont even have to wear a lid if you dont want to... oh and i want one too where did you get it?

ok the idea it could fall off means things like soft tank/saddle bags should not be allowed.As hey these are fashioned to the bike they could come off. One would assume that that thing on your helmet needs to be held on there damgood for 100kph to not take it off idea. Also thigns like intercoms that attach to the helmet or bluetooth whcih are clearley visable on the outside of helmet should be ilegial. Example below.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/imc-camos-bts-300/

If glued to helmet the helmet may be garbage and they ahve a point as gluye may affect helmet but if its attached and don't interfare with the integerity of the helmet then they don't have a leg to stand on as there are multible retail items that clip onto helmets.

ok the idea it could fall off means things like soft tank/saddle bags should not be allowed.As hey these are fashioned to the bike they could come off. One would assume that that thing on your helmet needs to be held on there damgood for 100kph to not take it off idea. Also thigns like intercoms that attach to the helmet or bluetooth whcih are clearley visable on the outside of helmet should be ilegial. Example below.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/imc-camos-bts-300/

If glued to helmet the helmet may be garbage and they ahve a point as gluye may affect helmet but if its attached and don't interfare with the integerity of the helmet then they don't have a leg to stand on as there are multible retail items that clip onto helmets.

As much as I agree, feel free to argue it in court.

Do we allow Ottawa Senator fans in our forums?

put it on again.

During tomorrow's patrol meeting, that dude will be telling ALL of his shift buddies about the idiot with the mohawk.

Its doubtful they'll bother throwing anything at you related to the mohawk, but they can find MANY other reasons to pull you over.

You might as well ride around towing a neon sign that says I hate cops.

The rest of guelph will be thanking you, if you're out riding, no one else has to worry about getting pulled over.

Maybe you guys haven't heard but the police in Guelph have put an end to ALL crime there, that's probably why he's on you for your mohawk.

Seriously, shouldn't the police have better things to do??

Thanks everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I decided yesterday to visit the local cop shop with helmet and mohawk in hand. Not with bike, but with car. I talked to the Sgt. in charge and asked him about it. He had a good laugh, but said right away that it is not allowed and show me the rule in the Highway Traffic Act book - Ont. Reg. 610 - Safety Helmets (page #799)
(a) blah blah
(b) blah blah
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material blah blah blah....etc.
Basically, he said it has to be smooth with no attachments. He said I was lucky that the officer that stopped me did not take my helmet because most of them are taken. I never thought to ask him about the two way radios.
I personally feel that the rule is a bit of a stretch, but I would like to keep my helmet and like anyone needs another reason to be stopped.
Again thanks for everyones help.

Thanks everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I decided yesterday to visit the local cop shop with helmet and mohawk in hand. Not with bike, but with car. I talked to the Sgt. in charge and asked him about it. He had a good laugh, but said right away that it is not allowed and show me the rule in the Highway Traffic Act book - Ont. Reg. 610 - Safety Helmets (page #799)
(a) blah blah
(b) blah blah
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material blah blah blah....etc.
Basically, he said it has to be smooth with no attachments. He said I was lucky that the officer that stopped me did not take my helmet because most of them are taken. I never thought to ask him about the two way radios.
I personally feel that the rule is a bit of a stretch, but I would like to keep my helmet and like anyone needs another reason to be stopped.
Again thanks for everyones help.

Sounds like an interpretation to me. Unless it came from the mouth of a Justice, it isn't LAW, only an opinion from the Sgt. By this logic, any helmet with a sticker on it would also be illegal and open to seizure. I'm curious (as it BusaBob) as to under what part of the HTA does the officer have the power to seize the helmet. Could that be an Transport Canada rule?

the mohawk is just like wearing a bright vest, people can see you, and you are having some fun...sure some people think you might be a punk, but if you ain't acting like one, what has the cop to worry about...so when i decide to put a helmet cam on and the cop doesn't like the fact that i could be videotaping him, he could be a dick and confiscate my helmet and then my ride...give me a break...i would argue it...besides, carry a second helmet with you then...argue that the spikes give you more height, you are more visible to trucks, if you ain't being a douche on the roads while wearing it...i'd wear it again...heck, tell me where i can get one...cops have got to find less ways to piss off civilians...maybe ask the cop if he would prefer you wear your beanie cap instead when you ride...i have a feeling this popo was just a little wet behind the ears...probably doesn't know anything about bikes and just likes to quote the rule book...when i get my spikes i shall ride around guelph so he can stop and listen to me rant for a bit...maybe get some mohawks as shoulder pads...lol...i could go on, but i am tired now...

Just wondering if it is possible for anyone that is curious about this, to make a list of whatever various questions and go in and ask away. It is a little difficult to come up with every type of scenario or example while standing there in front of the Sgt. The mohawk is not that dear to me, but where does this type of thing start/ end. Just a little bit of silliness while on the bike, but sure does attract attention. The rule is just a matter of interpretation, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom