Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Not hammer and nails stuff but I'm cleaning up my digital photo album. The computer has been acting a bit weird so want to do a back up and not save every click of the shutter, dumping irrelevant and duplicate pics.

Got to do some reminiscing over some rides and former two wheeled lovers.

Last edited:
We have popcorn as well. Tearing out and just replacing the drywall is an option on the lower levels, but upstairs, yeah, blown insulation.

It was suggested by someone at one point to just rough flatten the popcorn (IE, sand it down quick and dirty) and then just attach new drywall right over the existing drywall. Sure, you lose a half inch of ceiling height or whatever, but you keep your sanity. Then you just treat it like any other drywall job, tape the edges and seams, mud, done.
I thought about doing that, and probably should have as I underestimated how much work it was to scrape, skimcoat then sand. My popcorn had a few layers of oil paint so it didn't loosen after wetting out - it was a bugger to scrape off. I also discovered builders don't worry too much about taping quality or sealing the drywall before spraying stucco. Had to retape many of the seams

The drywall supplier I deal with it was OK to board over the old popcorn without flattening.

I thought about doing that, and probably should have as I underestimated how much work it was to scrape, skimcoat then sand. My popcorn had a few layers of oil paint so it didn't loosen after wetting out - it was a bugger to scrape off. I also discovered builders don't worry too much about taping quality or sealing the drywall before spraying stucco. Had to retape many of the seams

The drywall supplier I deal with it was OK to board over the old popcorn without flattening.
That's why they spray. It let's them save time and money on hack taping.

Gave the chainsaw a decent run today dropping some dead trees in the backyard, some head knocker limbs in the front yard and a couple stupid cluster trees (left the main trunk, chopped the smaller ones).

Pulled the cage summer tires out. Looking at a screwdriver. Maybe I'll take the wood railings off and stain / varnish. Maybe.

Been cleaning up the rabbit population with the .22 around the house = mouth watering cacciatore my wife cooked up, Kinda nice in times like this to have all the meat running through your back yard you can eat An the usual tree and bush pruning...blah!

We have popcorn as well. Tearing out and just replacing the drywall is an option on the lower levels, but upstairs, yeah, blown insulation.

It was suggested by someone at one point to just rough flatten the popcorn (IE, sand it down quick and dirty) and then just attach new drywall right over the existing drywall. Sure, you lose a half inch of ceiling height or whatever, but you keep your sanity. Then you just treat it like any other drywall job, tape the edges and seams, mud, done.
I did the removal job 3 times now. Once at my parents. Once at my old house once at the current house.

I found that spraying the popcorn ceiling with some soapy water helps A LOT. Old Windex bottle with lukewarm tap water and some dish soap. Keeps the dust down and the the popcorn is softer.
I used a large taping knife and a large dust pan underneath it as I go. Catches the popcorn and makes the cleanup easier.

Putting up new sheets of drywall is also a good idea as it allows to relocate some light fixtures or run new wiring for pot lights. This way you don't see any "patch jobs" in the ceiling where previous light fixture were.

Putting up new sheets of drywall is also a good idea as it allows to relocate some light fixtures or run new wiring for pot lights.

Good point. Our living room has been a crappy lighting situation since we bought the house 20 years ago - NOTHING on the ceiling so it's all freestanding lighting. It sure would be easy to fix that issue once and for all if we didn't have to worry about smacking holes in the existing ceiling to run the wires.

Always wanted a ceiling fan in here...hottest room in the house in the summer as well - full on western exposure.

Re-seeded the backyard. 2nd year in a row. At least this time i didn,t have to till the soil to remove the rocks that had been 'planted' by the previous owners.....

Got a curbside pickup order of lawn soil and mulch and other soil from home depot. Ready to get the kids to plant in the coming weeks and hopefully the grass will survive and thrive (i'm kinda early... but..kids are stuck inside and having grass instead of mud will be kinda nice for them, fingers crossed)

Looking for one of those big play grounds for the kids. Have seen them at Costco but all sold out. Same with the online store, but will keep checking as their inventory is ever revolving.

I sanded the stair railings and will stain and varnish them. I've ordered some hardware via Amazon and when it comes in I have to find where I can get some building material to make doors. I'm seeing my small jobs being a bigger pain that large ones. The hassle of just getting a box of screws vs a ton of material.

I sanded the stair railings and will stain and varnish them. I've ordered some hardware via Amazon and when it comes in I have to find where I can get some building material to make doors. I'm seeing my small jobs being a bigger pain that large ones. The hassle of just getting a box of screws vs a ton of material.
Yup, same issue here. The large jobs are easy. It's the small ones that take forever in our house.

I've been checking online, and from the looks of it I can get everything from Home Depot delivered, or do the curbside delivery.

Once I finish the first 3 projects, and I'm not going back home, I'll tackle the garage. They'll deliver all the drywall for $50 so that helps out a lot. Plus need to build some shelving in the shed.

Looking for one of those big play grounds for the kids. Have seen them at Costco but all sold out. Same with the online store, but will keep checking as their inventory is ever revolving.

Are you dead set on brand new?
Lots of people willing to give them away for free if you just remove it from their yard. Or sell it for much lower than a new one will costs.

Look on Kijiji or some of the local buy/sell groups on FB.

Remember my trailer if you need it for transport. ;)

Last edited:
So today I measured up for the Trex deck, its a smaller area off the second story kitchen so not a big deal. The railings will be steel since there are already 4 sets around the house and i like continuity .

And i'm milling up some white oak to make an entrance way table, saw the plans in "fine woodworking" magazine and they look good, mortice and tennon construction and three dovetailed drawers will keep me busy for days. Hoping to have enough white oak to finish it.

Are you dead set on brand new?
Lots of people willing to give them away for free if you just remove it from their yard. Or sell it for much lower than a new one will costs.

Look on Kijiji or some of the local buy/sell groups on FB.

Remember my trailer if you need it for transport. ;)
Thanks! Not dead set but what I’ve seen online is very few and people were asking a lot for them. Not worth it.

My buddy scored one out of Niagara or Burlington free but he had to be there within 2 hours. LoL

1586218198735.png

How much is a new one?

1586218916479.png

Back
Top Bottom