Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Ok finally getting around to following up on this venting issue.

Basically I don't believe my sink, or plumbing, vents as well as it should. Sometimes using the sink it has a bit of stink to it. Making me believe the air is coming back up where is should not. The P traps are working and full of water but once it starts running it puffs up.

I've put together a drawing to help visualize how the plumbing is setup in my house. I think I need to add a pipe (the green part) higher up and across to let the air out.

I still need to check out the link @FLSTC provided.

View attachment 42382
Plumbing to code is not my thing. From the hip, I think your green line needs to be moved up roughly one storey from where you drew it. I like trials picture.

Plumbing to code is not my thing. From the hip, I think your green line needs to be moved up roughly one storey from where you drew it. I like trials picture.

I agree.
Or possibly vent them individually and above the main floor fixture and than have them come together before venting out the roof.

@sburns
How old is the house?
Where are you located?
Do you have any picture of the piping when you had the walls opened?

Maybe some of this info will give some pro-plumbers here (if there are any) better chance of answering and maybe helping you out.

Here is a better drawing to display how is suppose to be:

tumblr_netd4fvxWM1qkwd9ao1_640.gifv

Vents all go up drains down, the vent can't be too far from the s-trap or it makes suction on the trap. Ultimately it all ends up in the 4 inch sewer pipe which probably extends all the way up past the roof line.
Thanks I work better with visuals!

I agree.
Or possibly vent them individually and above the main floor fixture and than have them come together before venting out the roof.

@sburns
How old is the house?
Where are you located?
Do you have any picture of the piping when you had the walls opened?

Maybe some of this info will give some pro-plumbers here (if there are any) better chance of answering and maybe helping you out.
My house was built in the 60's, in Scarborough. Typical bungalo. Use to have a mix of copper and clay pipes.
No pictures right now.
@Trials suggestions and photos are helpful gives me a better idea of what I might have to do.

There is nothing that I have not had to do with plumbing :|
Good thing is it's ancient technology that never really changes significantly.

Trials' diagram is ok for one floor, but that pipe going upwards has to stay as a vent all the way up to the roof, it cannot be the drain from the floor above. If it is the drain/stack from the floor above, then your vent pipe will have to go upwards by itself and attach to the vent pipe of the floor above, at a point 6" above the flood plain of any fixture (i,e. the sink).

Your original diagram is too simple - you must have a bathtub, shower, laundry, etc.
The drain stack does drain from the floor above down below as drawn. And yes I have to agree, based on Trails diagram, there should be an additional vent pipe for each floor/sink into the vent/drain stack. I think I can only tackle 1 of those because it involves less ripping out stuff.

I kept it simple to focus on the parts which exhibit the issue. The bathroom upstairs does have a shower, which also drains and ends up in the same drain stack in the basement right behind the toilet. There is also a shower in the basement, and kitchen sink, but they seem all good.
The laundry is in a separate area but below the upstairs kitchen with it's own drain and vent stack.

Tether switch?

Beautiful (y)(y)(y)

Got stuff to tinker with now.Getting out the dielectric grease and loctite.
Congrats, must smell nice and new

BTW what are the lights strips in your garage? I saw a set on sale at CT for $14 but not sure yet.

Congrats, must smell nice and new

BTW what are the lights strips in your garage? I saw a set on sale at CT for $14 but not sure yet.
Yes it does. There are so many great things about Beta. The build quality is fantastic,, but so is the price.
The lights are Barrina. There is a big thread on it in gtam.12 strips are $109 on Amazon.

Beta left a big impression on me, I've been hit by a lot of them :|

You are minding for someone with a grudge maybe?

You are minding for someone with a grudge maybe?
It's all part of the fun. Popular bike with the riders I catch for
and I've had to do plenty of Beta wrenching. I already know all the things that will break on your bike if you beat the living crap out of it :LOL:

Hahahaha.First thing i wanted to look at was the super simple easy air filter.Need a 8mm deep socket and can't find one.Bahahaha.

Well with the announcement yesterday of the updated list of essential services, Home Depot is going to be closed as of tonight.
There goes my idea of getting some home projects done. And I just had some supplies delivered this morning.

Back
Top Bottom