Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

cue the trailer trash jokes, I'm comfortable with who I am lol

when this is all settled
some of you are welcome to sit around the fire after a scoot to enjoy adult beverages
you know who you are

OSB over 5/8 plywood? nahh, prolly gonna go with vinyl plank

I have to go to Kingston a couple times a year, Picton and Deseronto... I'll consider myself invited , thanks!

my recent experience with vinyl plank, I used locking T&G in a workshop space, rolling 200lb equipment has caused some t&g to pop loose. I can live with it but I'd do the glued down plank in a do over.

Took a stab at the Home Depot curbside pickup. Placed the order around 8:30 ish. Was ready around 12 ish. Took about 45 mins to walk it out to me. They are quite busy. Oh and if you buy paint, make sure they know to shake it, doesn't see like they know this should be done.

Since that worked out pretty well might take on the plumbing stuff, if I can get all the connections that way, it could work out.

So what would you guys recommend I do with this thing? I hate those stairs, and this is where I'm considering some sort of small patio (just enough for a small table and a seat or two to watch the kids play.

Back Stairs.jpg

Took a stab at the Home Depot curbside pickup. Placed the order around 8:30 ish. Was ready around 12 ish. Took about 45 mins to walk it out to me. They are quite busy. Oh and if you buy paint, make sure they know to shake it, doesn't see like they know this should be done.

Since that worked out pretty well might take on the plumbing stuff, if I can get all the connections that way, it could work out.

Shaking your paint will never happen. For one, you have no way of adding a 'note' to your online order to request it and very few are 'licensed' to operate the shaker. Second, they are running pretty much skeleton staff now and half of those are outside trying to stop people that think the store is open from entering and getting your order to you before the parking lot riot erupts. The rest are inside trying to pick an order a minute. Its not easy for a cashier to find/pick/stage 60 2x6x16 spruce and 1500 #8 3" square drive constructions screws after having to move 4 flat carts of drywall and mud out fo the way first. Or the tool rental guy trying to find that 98 cent 1/4" OD connector. All in 60 seconds. BTW, the ones outside are spending some of their time helping that customer load those 60 2x6x16 into his Camry. I sh*t you not.

Another BTW...its painfully obvious that people are taking advantage of the situation and ordering in quantities that they wouldnt be getting if they had to shop for themselves. 10 bags of gravel/sand/concrete...20 24x24 patio stones, sheds, bbqs, patio furniture, lumber, fencing etc etc. I guess its quicker to sit in your vehicle for bit while someone else finds it, loads, it brings it out and puts in your vehicle while you do nothing. It also takes two people to do those types of orders which takes someone away from an 'easier' order. Yes, its noticed how 'essential' it all is.

In case you are wondering why the plumbing person doesnt do the plumbing orders or the lumber person doesnt do the lumber order or the paint person does the paint orders, think about it. When you shop do you only get plumbing stuff? Or only lumber? No, you are getting something from all over the store.

Be patient...be polite...try to remember that most that are helping you are part timers that have to go in and find your stuff with very little idea of what they are looking for and push out a cart that weighs 500 lbs. The ones that are experienced with customers and products are inside putting it all together.

Lastly, all of your online receipts after pickup have a survey. Take the time to fill it out and give a FIVE for everything, if for no other reason then they did everything for you while you sat in comfort. Yes, it may take longer then you anticipate but it didnt cost you a cent or any effort. Notice or ask for the name of the person that brings it out to you and make sure they are mentioned in your survey answer. Its a little thing for you to do but will mean a lot to them.

Sorry for the rant. Its only been four days and its been hell. Dont see it getting any better.

Last edited:
So what would you guys recommend I do with this thing? I hate those stairs, and this is where I'm considering some sort of small patio (just enough for a small table and a seat or two to watch the kids play.

View attachment 42541
I would do a deck from the left of the a/c to just beside the window. What's that 14'? Hides he a/c and piping. Bbq sits on portion by a/c, you're under cover while cooking. Enough deck left for 4 person table and chairs.

Floated on pyramids. Yeah it will move a bit but the deck isnt huge and getting a good ledger board attachment through brick sucks.

@GreyGhost Good idea thanks. Unfortunately there's nothing covering that area so it's all open. The gazebo will be built to the left of that and forward towards the camera (on the concrete on the side).

I don't think I can get that Gazebo to join with the patio we are planning so they'll be separate structures.

@GreyGhost Good idea thanks. Unfortunately there's nothing covering that area so it's all open. The gazebo will be built to the left of that and forward towards the camera (on the concrete on the side).

I don't think I can get that Gazebo to join with the patio we are planning so they'll be separate structures.
I was just using the eaves to protect you from most of the weather. Not perfect, but much better than nothing. Gazebo location obviously influences things.

I had a wooden deck and now have patio stones. I prefer and would recommend the wooden deck. If can and are OK with the height, have it made so it it is level with the patio door threshold.

The height of the door at the wooden deck location (previous house) allowed for the deck to be level with the door more so than at this house.
Especially when I wanted to stretch the deck all the way to the fence be the next door neighbor. At this point, the top of the fence dividing us was only reaching my titties and I'm only 5'6.

The location and size of your deck will depend on other things you are planning on doing with the yard. Gazeebo, pool, play set etc.
Also, I think a desk is easier to do yourself with the help of your father and a friend than interlocking.
I did my own deck at the previous house, but I had to hire someone to do landscaping at this house.

I ordered a small skillsaw from Lowes yesterday. Their website said to expect longer than normal delays before the "ready for pickup" email would arrive. It didn't yesterday (albeit I only ordered it about 4-5 hours before the store closed) so I just sat on it, but got up this morning at 9AM and it still wasn't there.

65 minute hold for customer service (EVERY company is suffering under enormous pressure with phone support right now) and finally got through to a nice pleasant lady who seemed to appreciate not getting yelled at like many others have apparently been doing. Anyhow, she said the best plan was to just sit tight and wait as there wasn't anything they could do to rush the order, but she was able to call the store and confirm they had the order and that they had the item in stock.

Several hours later...still no email, but the phone rings..and it's the same lady from CS calling me back saying "your order is ready but there's clearly something wrong with our computers as I see no pickup alert email has been sent, but go get it, it's ready!".

Picked up at 5PM today. Called from parking lot - they have numbered pickup spots out there laid out to ensure everyone parks apart from each other. Less than 5 minutes later my order was out and the lady even loaded it into my car before I could even offer to help.

Yay Lowes!

On a related note...as someone who delivered to both Lowes and Home Depot for many years, there's MANY reasons I prefer Lowes, most of which involve how they treat us guys at the back of the store. Their front-side customer service is far better as well IMHO.

I did a curbside pick up at Staples last week. It was flawless, notice of pickup with in 2 hours.
Only hick up was that 2 days after picking up the item, I was still getting email that my item is ready to pick up.

I have a feeling that companies will offer this type of service going forward, even after stores are opened for regular shopping.

Shaking your paint will never happen. For one, you have no way of adding a 'note' to your online order to request it and very few are 'licensed' to operate the shaker. Second, they are running pretty much skeleton staff now and half of those are outside trying to stop people that think the store is open from entering and getting your order to you before the parking lot riot erupts. The rest are inside trying to pick an order a minute. Its not easy for a cashier to find/pick/stage 60 2x6x16 spruce and 1500 #8 3" square drive constructions screws after having to move 4 flat carts of drywall and mud out fo the way first. Or the tool rental guy trying to find that 98 cent 1/4" OD connector. All in 60 seconds. BTW, the ones outside are spending some of their time helping that customer load those 60 2x6x16 into his Camry. I sh*t you not.
Yeah I got that impression. When I asked about it they said they would do it. But I suspect they just took it inside for a few minutes and brought it back out. I had to ask anyway just to be sure. It's just white no colour. And no I wasn't rushing them.

Meh I get it, I wasn't trying to sound complainy, just stating it.

Yeah I got that impression. When I asked about it they said they would do it. But I suspect they just took it inside for a few minutes and brought it back out. I had to ask anyway just to be sure. It's just white no colour. And no I wasn't rushing them.

1586483497048.png

Best part of all this? Lots of time. Precious endless time.

Previously I hated home reno projects, yard work, repairs on cars/bikes/house, routine maintenance on the cars/bikes/house etc etc because it always seemed like I would blow precious time off work on these sorts of things.

Spend a half day picking up leaves and raking the lawns on a Saturday, then changing the snow tires off the cars = CRAP I JUST SPENT HALF MY FREAKIN WEEKEND ON THIS STUPID STUFF.

Now, today for example, I spent a few hours outside just poking around in the backyard moving a few leaves around and contemplating how early to open the pool this spring, another hour reorganizing a single shelf in the garage, a few hours just poking around at the new bike and figuring out the easiest way to adjust the rear air shocks and mostly just wasting time but having a ball doing it, and then I spent an hour trying to get an ancient first gen iPad working again.

At the end of the day I really accomplished hardly anything of significant meaning or accomplishment.

And who the **** cares! There's tomorrow! And many days after that.

Is this what it's like being retired? ;)

On a related note...as someone who delivered to both Lowes and Home Depot for many years, there's MANY reasons I prefer Lowes, most of which involve how they treat us guys at the back of the store. Their front-side customer service is far better as well IMHO.

I prefer to shop at Lowes too because I have seen the people that shop at and deal with Home Depot. Totally different clientele. If you deliver and arrive after 8am you are dealing with people that have interacted with contractors for 2 hours (receiving doesnt just receive)

I know. But after a couple of hundred people 'just stating it' it tends to get to you. If I cant get one person to understand why things are why they are now maybe it will help a bit the next time they do an online pickup.

They may have also had best intentions of shaking it for you but couldnt find anyone to do it. Those machines cant be touched if the inspection sheets havent been signed off. Same goes for a simple ladder.

I spent an hour trying to get an ancient first gen iPad working again.
Don't waste your time. I have a perfectly working one that is good for almost nothing. Only a web browser now. Any app that used to work no longer does unless you update it. No app can update without recent IOS. You can't install recent IOS. App store works and lets you try to download apps but whoops, can't install without updated IOS. Web browser or picture frame is the best it can be.

Don't waste your time. I have a perfectly working one that is good for almost nothing. Only a web browser now. Any app that used to work no longer does unless you update it. No app can update without recent IOS. You can't install recent IOS. App store works and lets you try to download apps but whoops, can't install without updated IOS. Web browser or picture frame is the best it can be.

Did you try spraying some Seafoam into it?

It's jailbroken so I'm making a little forward progress - ALMOST got YouTube working again via some Cydia hacks designed around doing exactly that on old iPads, which would make it exponentially more useful.

Lots of time right now to poke at it. At this point if I spent an entire day on it, well, whatever! lol

But yes, some of the old apps are long dead, even when you're given the option to download an older version. I had to laugh today (and did plenty of double takes) when I downloaded an old version of the CBC News app and when it opened....all the "news" was frozen in time from 2015. Cleary they updated the app and it points to a new source, but they never shut down the old one.

Back
Top Bottom