Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Distancing vs progress example

mimico polak Doesn't live all that far from me and there are a couple of renovation things I might be able to help him with when he gets back from BC. In normal times it would be set up by a quick phone call. That doesn't work any more.

I assume he's some where in the transit system between BC and home. Does he isolate at home?

What's his family been up to?

I've been cautious about going out but not 14 days solo. Short of hazmat suits how does one help a friend hang a door, move a sofa, trim a hedge? The minutia of cross contamination is hard to track.

It's getting to look like the hard crackdown is the better solution. No one anywhere but home for at least two weeks and then a slight backing off. It hurts sitting twiddling thumbs when one could be doing drywall, building stuff but if supplies or assistance is needed there isn't much choice.

Well with the announcement yesterday of the updated list of essential services, Home Depot is going to be closed as of tonight.
There goes my idea of getting some home projects done. And I just had some supplies delivered this morning.

Rightfully so....too many people just going browsing unnecessarily through the big box hardware stores to kill time because their bored. Heck, I thought about going to Home Depot last week because I needed 2 new bolts for my handlebar brackets because I wanted to remove a set of risers the previous owner installed, but I decided that it's really not that important at this point in time.

On a related note...freight volume fell on it's face at our terminal in the last 2 days of this work week...but you know what we got hammered with on Friday?

Paint. Thousands of cans of it.

People are very clearly painting their houses right now to pass the time.

But going to the retail outlets to buy it is another transmission vector, one that really doesn't need to be happening right now.

Well with the announcement yesterday of the updated list of essential services, Home Depot is going to be closed as of tonight.
There goes my idea of getting some home projects done. And I just had some supplies delivered this morning.
Hardware can remain open for curbside pickup or delivery. Just no more wandering around and browsing.

Short of hazmat suits how does one help a friend hang a door, move a sofa, trim a hedge? The minutia of cross contamination is hard to track.

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.

Realty is anyone who's been out in public at all in the last month has probably touched or come across the virus. It's probably IN many of our homes right now on some surfaces before it dies naturally.

But it can't just jump up and infect us through simple touch. You need to give it that vector to a mucous membrane.

Don't give it one. Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.

Ditto. Theoretically order on line for some stuff but my wife has to choose trim paint colours and pick new light fixtures. Shopping for those on line isn't going to work.

I want to order some door hardware from Amazon and hope that's not a problem but when I get it I will need some hardwood and plywood to make progress.

The plywood will come from a small specialty shop nearby. I'm hoping I can order by phone, pay by credit card and pick it up. We arrange a time and I arrive at their shipping door, staying inside the SUV. They put the stuff on the roof racks and leave. I come out, tie it down and drive home. Is that a rule breaker?

Hardware can remain open for curbside pickup or delivery. Just no more wandering around and browsing.
Hmm I'll give it some thought and maybe do some other work instead. I wanted to get into my plumbing projects and once I get into it I would need to play with the fittings to figure it out.
Maybe I will do some painting instead if I can get the paint easily enough.

BTW for me Home Depot site is down. I've also noticed Canadian Tire's will pop up a message about delays, Lowes seems ok though.
I guess they are getting hammered with the closing news.

Hmm I'll give it some thought and maybe do some other work instead. I wanted to get into my plumbing projects and once I get into it I would need to play with the fittings to figure it out.
Maybe I will do some painting instead if I can get the paint easily enough.

The paint is there and if you know the colour chip they might be able to do a curbside. If you don't have a colour selected it could be hard. There is no way my wife will commit to paint or light fixtures on line.

I'm looking at some hardware on Amazon.ca. I hope they are still running.

Independent paint stores may be better. My wife got some at Benjamin Moore and they take it to the car after the deal is cut over the phone. They do not want people in the store scratching their chins as they play with the colour chips and books.

The paint is there and if you know the colour chip they might be able to do a curbside. If you don't have a colour selected it could be hard. There is no way my wife will commit to paint or light fixtures on line.

I'm looking at some hardware on Amazon.ca. I hope they are still running.

Independent paint stores may be better. My wife got some at Benjamin Moore and they take it to the car after the deal is cut over the phone. They do not want people in the store scratching their chins as they play with the colour chips and books.
Fear not. Amazons new warehouse is a critical infrastructure project and is unaffected by any construction shutdown. I kid you not.

Fear not. Amazons new warehouse is a critical infrastructure project and is unaffected by any construction shutdown. I kid you not.
I'm wondering about Amazon -- everything delivered by Prime shows and expected delivery date of May 2. Don't know if that's a bug, realistic due to staffing and backlogs, or some type of temporary prioritization scheme.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about Amazon -- everything delivered by Prime shows and expected delivery date of May 2. Don't know if that's a bug, realistic due to staffing and backlogs, or some type of temporary prioritization scheme.
They have a ribbon up top saying that priority orders (whatever that means) will be first ahead of everything else. I assume orders will come in before May 2 as availability / schedule allows.

IMO they're putting a priority on household items (wipes, tp, etc.) instead of electronics and non-essentials...which makes sense. Otherwise how would you be able to distinguish b/w households being prioritized or not.

Just finished de-popcorning 1500sqf of ceiling -- never again. It took me about 20 full days to remove, skim, sand and paint. Plus a ton of hours for my wife who worked with me cleaning up the mess.

Never again. The $4000 quote looks like a bargain after doing it myself.

Just finished de-popcorning 1500sqf of ceiling -- never again. It took me about 20 full days to remove, skim, sand and paint. Plus a ton of hours for my wife who worked with me cleaning up the mess.

If I ever get rid of our popcorn ceiling I’ll just rip it off and replace it with normal drywall

If I ever get rid of our popcorn ceiling I’ll just rip it off and replace it with normal drywall
That was an option -- the only issue is that I have 3' of blown in insulation above the drywall. There is no vapor barrier so If I stripped the ceiling I'd have a dumptruck of old insulation to deal with then I'd have to have it blown back in.

For whoever is interested the CT website is ok right now. I just placed an order for a few items to be delivered.

ripping it off is only easy on newer construction houses where the popcorn ceiling has not been painted yet.

I will do almost any type of construction work at home.
Plaster/sanding is not on that list.

I don't like doing it and don't have the patience for it.

Last edited:
I bought a 10" powered disc sander on a pole, attaches to a vaccum and now all clean up is done. Literally grinds off the stucco popcorn and your left with a flat ready to paint ceiling. Best grand i ever spent on a power tool lately.
My previous go to was laminate drywall over the existing drywall, drywall lift. sure you loose a 1/2" but big deal. Ceiling done in an afternoon.

I've been painting my new shack, 6 4L pails so far. Putting a roller on an extention pole was a life changer for me, stay on the ladder and reach the tray.

We have popcorn as well. Tearing out and just replacing the drywall is an option on the lower levels, but upstairs, yeah, blown insulation.

It was suggested by someone at one point to just rough flatten the popcorn (IE, sand it down quick and dirty) and then just attach new drywall right over the existing drywall. Sure, you lose a half inch of ceiling height or whatever, but you keep your sanity. Then you just treat it like any other drywall job, tape the edges and seams, mud, done.

Back
Top Bottom