Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

That first one is identical to one I had for our kids.....bought it about 15+ years ago and it was a few years old at that time, so it's got some years on it - be sure to check it for dry and wet rot.

Second one looks like a far better deal.

BTW, from experience, bring power tools with all the appropriate attachments for different screws and nuts/bolts. These things have a million of them and disassembly and reassembly is not fun entirely by hand.

That first one is identical to one I had for our kids.....bought it about 15+ years ago and it was a few years old at that time, so it's got some years on it - be sure to check it for dry and wet rot.

BTW, from experience, bring power tools with all the appropriate attachments for different screws and nuts/bolts. These things have a million of them and disassembly and reassembly is not fun entirely by hand.

Pictures before disassembly.

Masking tape and sharpie to mark up two joining pieces.

Oh and if you have a bolt or two left over a the end, you reassembled it correctly. ;) ;)

I would definitely add a battery impact gun to the list for that day too. Probably not a lot of hot dipped on the big box store special.

We are leaning towards new after discussing it with my wife. Just as our kids are so young (3 and <1) so we expect to keep it for 10 years. Thankfully Costco was sold out beside us so that'll buy more time to look at used options!

Check out the Costco online exclusive booklet or their sales that they have for certain item during certain times only.

Love the clearance sections at ANY store. This nice little loveseat that probably sold for $400+ at peak became ours for our front porch a few weeks ago.

IMG_2907.jpg

I was surprised they hadn't jacked it back up in price as despite being leftover from last year, we've come full circle to outdoor sale season again now.

Love the clearance sections at ANY store. This nice little loveseat that probably sold for $400+ at peak became ours for our front porch a few weeks ago.

View attachment 42497

I was surprised they hadn't jacked it back up in price as despite being leftover from last year, we've come full circle to outdoor sale season again now.
Nice. I need some new wicker furniture for the new gazebo!

flooring dudes, any flooring dudes?

looking for advice on flooring material for a 3 season sunroom
no heat on in the winter, could get pretty warm in the summer
wide range of humidity levels too, but no exposure to water otherwise

plywood subfloor just installed over existing wooden deck
fairly level and smooth, but it's not going to be dimensionally stable

ceramics would be my first choice but are out as there will be some movement

carpet, hard no, dirty

laminate, don't think it would take the temp/humidity swings too well

leaning towards vinyl plank

any suggestions?

flooring dudes, any flooring dudes?

looking for advice on flooring material for a 3 season sunroom
no heat on in the winter, could get pretty warm in the summer
wide range of humidity levels too, but no exposure to water otherwise

plywood subfloor just installed over existing wooden deck
fairly level and smooth, but it's not going to be dimensionally stable

ceramics would be my first choice but are out as there will be some movement

carpet, hard no, dirty

laminate, don't think it would take the temp/humidity swings too well

leaning towards vinyl plank

any suggestions?
If you use "luxury" vinyl. Be very careful with weight on it. My parents put it in their kitchen and cool the house off to 55 when they go away in the winter. A lot of the joints pop as the fridge keeps part of the floor from floating. Roll vinyl will be cheap and should deal with temp swings (don't go stomping around when it's frozen). Some of it can look decent, especially if you are plan on throwing an indoor/outdoor rug over the center of the room anyway. Easy and cheap to swap every few years to keep up with changing tastes.

I used these for the aft deck on my boat, tongue & groove composite installed right over plywood decking. Long boards so you can eliminate joints Simple to install (12 or 16' length so no longitudinal seams) clean with a mop, no splinters, wears hard and looks like wood. I ordered free samples off the company's website before purchasing -- what can you lose?

Any chance you can eliminate the possibility of movement? Firm up the base? I ask because to me ceramic would be the best choice.

Outside of that I'd look into the composites as mentioned by @Mad Mike. I'd also give a call to a flooring shop (if they're open). We use AA Flooring in Etobicoke on Evans for pretty much every type of flooring we ever bought.

Would a waterproof top layer result in humidity / water accumulation and then rot in the sub floor?

I am assuming that since subfloor was laid over a deck, the back is ventilated.

My daughter's back porch was built over a dirt base and shrouded in with plywood. Then someone added a rubber floor mat on top. The trapped humidity coming up off the dirt accelerated the rot. Venting would have helped.

I am assuming that since subfloor was laid over a deck, the back is ventilated.
Well it could be vented, but it doesnt mean it wont collect condensate on the underside. This is a pretty regular cause of mildew and rot on porches and decks, they breath well enough until you seal off the top with plywood. I've fixed a lot of structural porches and decks from insufficient air flow.
J_F , did you put down a vapour barrier of any sort before the plywood got whacked down, or is there pretty decent venting around the parimeter??

deck is elevated 2 feet and sitting on beams - well ventilated, no vapour barrier
no realistic way to ensure enough stability that ceramics won't be a problem

I'm talking about the enclosure to the left in this pic
had the hard roof and sun room built last fall
didn't know I was getting the 5/8 pressure treated sub floor
didn't see it until March, stroked a cheque and had it done while I was away working

cceSIZ0.jpg

Geez man , you didnt say we were talking about a spot where the house is mobile and the canoe is not. 7/16 OSB and two coats of varathane ! be sure and sand off the Norboard logos, it wrecks the chic.

Back
Top Bottom