Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 457 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

On a whim... I whipped up this shelving unit for the future storage area of the basement.

Can I consider this phase 0.001 of finishing the basement?

1708230318558.png

This storage area will remain unfinished.
Will be closed in with a wall eventually.
With ridiculous house prices, I'd finish it even if it is just a storage area. It won't cost you much and people expectations rise all the time. Include some decent lighting and it will be a nice place instead of a dungeon (for you and the subsequent owner).

This storage area will remain unfinished.
Will be closed in with a wall eventually.
If it was me…storage or not…drywall it. More options should anyone (ie: wife) change their mind.

Or you want to make it a diff space.

Future proofing is the name of the game.

0.002 rip it down and do again? :p

It looks like you have a rack already which you took the shelves from, I kinda get what you are doing by spacing it out though.
Agreed. Personally I wouldn’t just kept the rack as a single piece.

No judgement, just allows for versatility down the line.

I did not have the full rack. Missing the legs.
I got the shelves from a buddy of mine who was throwing them out. I do like them as they are strong and do not need much cross-member support that a plywood shelf would require.
That is the reason why I did what I did here. If I had a full rack I would have just used it. But then again my buddy wouldn't be throwing it out at that point.

I get what you guys are saying about drawing this area, even though it is just storage. When that time comes to finishing the basement, I might, who knows. It will be 10 min of work to remove this shelving if I need to.

I made these just to clear some floor space and give my kids some more room to play hockey/gymnastics.

In case summer ever comes back , a Home Depot is clearing free standing A/C units for $119.00 , reg $398. Combo dehumidifier or AC or Fan. That’s cheaper than used ones in season. I grabbed one to stand in the boat. Actual boat AC is about 3k minimum so this will be delux . Would also be pretty good in a travel trailer .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

In case summer ever comes back , a Home Depot is clearing free standing A/C units for $119.00 , reg $398. Combo dehumidifier or AC or Fan. That’s cheaper than used ones in season. I grabbed one to stand in the boat. Actual boat AC is about 3k minimum so this will be delux . Would also be pretty good in a travel trailer .

Hmm. May pic one up for the garage. I run the dehumidifier there for much of the winter as the cars bring in so much moisture.

Can you share a pic or item code?

I did not have the full rack. Missing the legs.
I got the shelves from a buddy of mine who was throwing them out. I do like them as they are strong and do not need much cross-member support that a plywood shelf would require.
That is the reason why I did what I did here. If I had a full rack I would have just used it. But then again my buddy wouldn't be throwing it out at that point.

I get what you guys are saying about drawing this area, even though it is just storage. When that time comes to finishing the basement, I might, who knows. It will be 10 min of work to remove this shelving if I need to.

I made these just to clear some floor space and give my kids some more room to play hockey/gymnastics.
Those are genericall called 'metro racks'. If you're missing legs, you can use 1”of ” pipe to replace the legs, just cross drill and push in a roll pin.

Pro tips for anyone using the wire "bakers rack" shelving (with the poles and wheels), specially in the basement....

Cut the length of the poles down so the assembled shelving units can fit through all your basement doorways and under bulkheads (at least check that they will fit). One day when you want to move them to another room for whatever reason you will thank me.

Second tip (not basement specific), they are not all compatible so don't try to mix and match different brands. As an example I have the original "Metro" brand ones and the Costco ones, looks like they will interchange---they do not. Keep the spare parts separate or better yet stick to one brand.

Pro tips for anyone using the wire "bakers rack" shelving (with the poles and wheels), specially in the basement....

Cut the length of the poles down so the assembled shelving units can fit through all your basement doorways and under bulkheads (at least check that they will fit). One day when you want to move them to another room for whatever reason you will thank me.

Second tip (not basement specific), they are not all compatible so don't try to mix and match different brands. As an example I have the original "Metro" brand ones and the Costco ones, looks like they will interchange---they do not. Keep the spare parts separate or better yet stick to one brand.
Capacity on wheels is pretty low (800 lbs iirc). I set them up with legs and on the rare occasion I want to move them, I unload and reload. Good opportunity to find things that have been lost at the back too.

Another tip - the weight capacity when using casters is only a fraction of the advertised capacity.

EDIT: Looks like @GreyGhost and I were thinking the same thing at the same time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom