Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 459 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

If properly stacked and vented , softwood will air dry about 1” per yr. So 3 yrs and older you’re ok , but you still need to surface and take the twist out . Nog many milled slabs are flat from day one .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Yup. When they were new each slab was heavy as hell. Now…super easy to lift up and move around.

The water weight disappeared after the first year. Unfortunately dad felt it was a good idea to put into basement at cottage, meaning the whole house smelled like wood with sap in it.

Then we took it out, built a proper stack, and now it’s light and dry after 3 years or so.

I've got a ton of slabs up north at the cottage. 7-12ft long, 1-3" thick but from soft wood and need some work. They're not finished though.

Not sure what my dad was thinking of when he made them, but if you want one I'm sure I'll be taking it apart in the spring / summer. I've got a pic somewhere so I'll send them to you via sms.
Thanks for the offer!
I'll definitely be wanting one that's finished and well before summer.
I'm going through withdrawal as it is, and want my booth back operational as soon as the reno is done in a few weeks.

If I needed a slab , exotic wood in Burlington has hundreds ( they also have a second warehouse so if you don’t see what you need , talk to one of the older sales guys ) , if you travel a bit further the Woodshed in Smithville has much better pricing . Buying Kijiji slabs and Facebook are a gamble as you don’t know how it was dried. You don’t want a 2” thick slab cracking and twisting.

Crown Point woodwork in Hamilton mills and sells slabs , I forgot about them .

Thanks for both of these suggestions!

If I needed a slab , exotic wood in Burlington has hundreds ( they also have a second warehouse so if you don’t see what you need , talk to one of the older sales guys ) , if you travel a bit further the Woodshed in Smithville has much better pricing . Buying Kijiji slabs and Facebook are a gamble as you don’t know how it was dried. You don’t want a 2” thick slab cracking and twisting.

Century Mill in Stouffville sells slabs.

They also do machining, so if you need a specific size, they will glue up, cut and plane.

Those guys at ModernMoose have pricing that’s a bit “premium” . Trading a little on cache. Being in the industry I find it comical , they do less processing , less difficult milling yet demand a premium because it’s a big piece of wood . It’s a terrible waste of resource , but it’s sure less work than milling out all lumber .

Those guys at ModernMoose have pricing that’s a bit “premium” . Trading a little on cache. Being in the industry I find it comical , they do less processing , less difficult milling yet demand a premium because it’s a big piece of wood . It’s a terrible waste of resource , but it’s sure less work than milling out all lumber .

They seem to limit their stuff to 8/4 and I occasionally need thicker (Think baseball bat blank). I ended up with a piece of clear elm. I think.

Ok I’ll bite , what are you making at baseball bat size ?? If you need thicker you’ll want a vendor with a mill . Try tbe Woodshed in Smithville for 16/4 , or call Craftsmen in Drayton . Call ahead , they are connected to the local milling scene , ( there are 100 sawmills within 50kms of Waterloo) and they can get you whatever you may want , within reason.

Ok I’ll bite , what are you making at baseball bat size ?? If you need thicker you’ll want a vendor with a mill . Try tbe Woodshed in Smithville for 16/4 , or call Craftsmen in Drayton . Call ahead , they are connected to the local milling scene , ( there are 100 sawmills within 50kms of Waterloo) and they can get you whatever you may want , within reason.

Basically making another rolling pin to a specific size. The elm will work. I’ve used the Woodshed and Century but was looking for something closer to home and being able to buy in small quantities.

Basically making another rolling pin to a specific size. The elm will work. I’ve used the Woodshed and Century but was looking for something closer to home and being able to buy in small quantities.
Didnt you just cut down a big maple? You can use a microwave as a surprisingly effective high-speed kiln.

Didnt you just cut down a big maple? You can use a microwave as a surprisingly effective high-speed kiln.
The piece I need is too long. I also fear a steam explosion. I dried out some white oak once by putting it in a piece of air duct and blowing warm air through it via a fan heater.

A friend also wants a handle for his custom smoker but it has to be ugly in keeping with the ugliness of the smoker. We’re talking a club Alley Oop would appreciate.

The piece I need is too long. I also fear a steam explosion. I dried out some white oak once by putting it in a piece of air duct and blowing warm air through it via a fan heater.

A friend also wants a handle for his custom smoker but it has to be ugly in keeping with the ugliness of the smoker. We’re talking a club Alley Oop would appreciate.
My uncle microwaves most wood before tossing it in the lathe. Obviously only works if the wood fits in the microwave. He has an old microwave in shop for this. Afaik, he hasn't hurt the microwave yet and he's been doing it for years.

Don't mind if I do.

I like this shelving system so I picked up three more sets. This time with legs and wheels.
Total cost $175 for the three sets. Each one has six shelves.
I think it was a good buy.

1708660943746.png

That is a stupidly good deal!
I guess Kijijidiots takes on a new meaning.

All due respect to the gentleman who sold them to me.
Made the effort to find the wheels (still in factory sealed bags) and disassembled the shelving and brought them up from the basement to garage. All before I arrived.

Alright....spring is here!

Wife wants to aerate the soil so I booked an aerator for end of March (hopefully not too early), and now looking to get 2-3yrds of soil here.

Wish I had a pickup truck! LoL That Maverick would come in handy right about now...but I think I'll just rent a big truck from HD and I assume 3000lbs is enough to carry 3yrds of soil...

How much soil do you all think I can fit into my 4x8 trailer once I put the sides up? @oioioi I know you've got the same one.

Last edited:
Average front end loader holds about 1/2 yard , most 4x8 handy trailers will hold most of that . Yard weighs 1200-1800 lbs dry . If it’s wet ,3000lbs . @mimico , aren’t you some sort of ditch digging engineer?

Alright....spring is here!

Wife wants to aerate the soil so I booked an aerator for end of March (hopefully not too early), and now looking to get 2-3yrds of soil here.

Wish I had a pickup truck! LoL That Maverick would come in handy right about now...but I think I'll just rent a big truck from HD and I assume 3000lbs is enough to carry 3yrds of soil...

How much soil do you all think I can fit into my 4x8 trailer once I put the sides up? @oioioi I know you've got the same one.
My trailer is rated for 1200 lbs.
I think I may have exceeded that one time and delivering a full trailer load of sod from Mississauga to Milton.
I dont think I would do it again but my sod guy bailed on me last minute.

Yours is probably the same.

Why not just get it delivered?

My trailer is rated for 1200 lbs.
I think I may have exceeded that one time and delivering a full trailer load of sod from Mississauga to Milton.
I dont think I would do it again but my sod guy bailed on me last minute.

Yours is probably the same.

Why not just get it delivered?
Because it’s about $200/bag…I can’t seem to find anyone delivering bulk soil, only in the bags.

I need 2-3 yards so I’m ok saving some money on this one down from $600.

Average front end loader holds about 1/2 yard , most 4x8 handy trailers will hold most of that . Yard weighs 1200-1800 lbs dry . If it’s wet ,3000lbs . @mimico , aren’t you some sort of ditch digging engineer?

Sure am…but I don’t dig the ditches. LIUNA does the digging.

Back
Top Bottom